I'll be getting a new guitar for christmas and i've got as far as deciding its gotta be a telecaster. I've got pretty much set on one particular model which is FSR Ash in butterscotch. However i'm not quite sure if this would be the best choice. My playing style is music like bluesy solos and riffs. So its gotta be able to do mellow and have bite and twang at the flick if a switch.

Price range is 500 max.
Preferably maple neck.
I don't want a blacktop so don't suggest those please.

Thanks
I was just wondering because theres so many different models of telecaster it just all goes over your head
Try out as many models as you can. Just pick one up and start playing.
I would recommend the Mexican Made Standard one. I have one and it feels and plays tremendously. I got it for $400 so it's in your price range.
I got a used MIM standard for $250 and it plays great. The sound is decent, but not top-notch, but it still gets great single-coil twangy blues/rock riffs and solos down great.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Fender road worn 60's telecaster. Great powerful sound, considering theyre single coils, and it'll work very well for blues. I don't know why you should possibly get a guitar a plays well but doesn't sound great for $150 under your budget when you can spend the whole thing and get even better playability and proper sound (the road worn has tex-mex pickups which are much Bette than the standard Mexican pickups) the FSR also seems like a good choice
Note its £500, my mistake. And its finding one to play won't be an issue as i'm going and playing first hand when i go to this massive music shop to go get it. I've been there before and they have pretty much every imaginable fender on sale. I've tried the standards and they seem to lack something in playability to the FSR model. There is one other model that i have in my sights would be the 60's classic model in arctic white. Can anyone point out some definite differences? Or am i just paying 30 extra for appearance?
Quote by ffbarton
Note its £500, my mistake. And its finding one to play won't be an issue as i'm going and playing first hand when i go to this massive music shop to go get it. I've been there before and they have pretty much every imaginable fender on sale. I've tried the standards and they seem to lack something in playability to the FSR model. There is one other model that i have in my sights would be the 60's classic model in arctic white. Can anyone point out some definite differences? Or am i just paying 30 extra for appearance?

My brother has a MIM standard strat and I also feel that it lacks in playability. It's uncomfortable for me, whilst the road worn and MIA strats I've strats play wonderfully.
The 60's classic, If anything is worse than the FSR or Road Worn (they both play better than MIA strats IMHO and many other people's opinions too). It has worse pickups and is brighter sounding. You'd be paying more for nothing
Quote by itamar100
Fender road worn 60's telecaster. Great powerful sound, considering theyre single coils, and it'll work very well for blues. I don't know why you should possibly get a guitar a plays well but doesn't sound great for $150 under your budget when you can spend the whole thing and get even better playability and proper sound (the road worn has tex-mex pickups which are much Bette than the standard Mexican pickups) the FSR also seems like a good choice

The Fender Road Worn Tele is about £850 in the UK. Any other ideas?
Quote by ffbarton
The Fender Road Worn Tele is about £850 in the UK. Any other ideas?

WOW! They should be about £500-£550! The FSR should suit you quite well anyway. Ive never tried one but it seems really cool.
You could also get the Fender FSR Ash Telecaster with Texas Specials. Better pickups than the Standard FSR but the aren't noiseless (they hum). It'd still be I'm your budget.
Squire CV50. Nice tele's.
Time Guitars Inc-Prime Time; Warmoth Custom Strat; LTD MH-350NT; Xaviere XV-560; Squier CV-50 Tele; Gibson LP Traditional Plus; Fender American Deluxe Strat; Fender American Special Strat; Martin Acoustic; Silvertone Blues Master ; Kramer Focus
Quote by armycopter
Squire CV50. Nice tele's.

Sorry, but he wants a $900 guitar, not $250.
I like the idea of the FSR with texas specials, but i'm not keen on sunburst guitars. Does it come in any other colours?
There is another forum TDRPI that has tons of information that may help you out. I play my Tele most every day. It's my go to axe.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
didn't go through most of this (i typically read all the way through).

take a look at a nashville tele. it has a third pickup, basically a strat SC in the middle. that was my favorite tele. i sold it a year or so ago, (money talks).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ffbarton
I like the idea of the FSR with texas specials, but i'm not keen on sunburst guitars. Does it come in any other colours?

No, it doesnt. but this i a different type of sunburst, its brighter than the typical fender sunburst.
That sunburst is similar to what's on the new Modern Player teles. If you really want butterscotch or ash, that's not going to do it for you.

I'm in the market right now much the same as TS. There's an FSR ash tele with a tortoise shell pickguard that I see around that I don't know much about, so if anyone has info on that it would be much appreciated. Is it just a regular MIM standard?

Can't go wrong with most of the recommendations but it seems you prefer the feel of the Satin neck and possibly noiseless PUs. Personally, I'd deal with the occasional hum as long as it provides the tone I'm after, which eliminates the SCN PUs. This simplifies the decision-making down to playability and finish.

As mentioned earlier, play every available model over a few days, through an amp like yours or are planning to buy.

It's always fun to audition so many models of the Tele, including the Squiers: Classic Vibe, MIJ JV and SQ series, MIK ProTone series, MIJ Tokai, etc. Good Luck!

Quote by itamar100
Sorry, but he wants a $900 guitar, not $250.

Don't be an elitist prick. The Squier Classic Vibes are great guitars.

The Fender '62 Tele Custom (Japanese-made) is a beautiful instrument that's just a little out of your price range.

The Classic Player Baja is nice too.
What about a used Am Std Tele? I love my AM STD. I don't know how available that would be in your area, but would be a great choice. I love mine.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R