Okay guys, I have a Peavey Valveking 4x12 cab that I've had for about 2 years now. Never gave me any problems, it's been a great cab. I let it sit in my room which is the hardest room to heat in the house. So when heat does come in my room, it often causes some moisture problems in my room. Anywho, I was playing earlier just fine and all of a sudden my volume cuts out by atleast half of what I had it and I start hearing this cracking noise coming through my cab. I tested my cables to make sure it's not a loose wire, I tested my pedals and their batteries, and I tested my guitar to make sure it was it. So I unplug everything from my amp except the power supply, foot switch, and speaker cable and turn it on. It's still making the cracking noise. So I turn it off and it hits me that some moisture might have gotten into the back of it. So I take off the back of my cab and cleaned my speakers with a dry cloth to make sure their was no moisture on them, looked at all the wires and then closed the cab back up. Turned it back on and it's still doing it. I'm afraid that their was moisture in the back and when I was playing it, it somehow got into the wires and screwed everything up. (Because we all know that water and electricity don't mix) So, what is the chance that I'm completely screwed my cab and possibly my amp head up?

I've moved it out of my room and into my Brother's room which doesn't have a problem with moisture from the cold to let it dry out. The thing that scares me is if I did screw it up, I don't have the money to replace it. So can anyone help me? Thanks.
It is not the cab.

It is probably your amp.

What amp is it?

Does it have power tubes?

If the answer is yes - then they probably need to be replaced*
If the answer is no - then you are SOL**

* I can help you a bit with this with more info
** I can't help you
It's probably your head, not your cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Platinum Pro
Great.. What do you guys think it could be inside the head?

with solid state amps - it is really difficult to diagnose and repair. I mean literally the amount of troubleshooting time and difficulty in replacing parts makes the repair not worth it. The amp head is probably worth $200. You could try hitting the insert jack and volume pots with some contact cleaner.

it is def not the cab. Think about it, speaker cabs are used in all kinds of weather and live in the rain and whatnot. I'm pretty sure places like Florida, Houston, TX and Brazil are far more humid then your bedroom.

I know you don' want to hear this and I'm not trying to be a dick but it is time for some new gear. You owe it to yourself. The Valveking cab is complete crap. It is not a good cab. The XXL, while passable, is also kind of a muddy noisy mess. I really didn't care for the one I played anyway.

I'd sell that gear and start over. It sounds to me like having a half stack is more important than having good tone. Go try a Vypyr 60 or a 3120 or XXX and through a decent cab and you'll see what I mean.

Again, not really trying to be an asshat here. Sorry, but it had to be said.

PS: You take nice pictures
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
with solid state amps - it is really difficult to diagnose and repair. I mean literally the amount of troubleshooting time and difficulty in replacing parts makes the repair not worth it. The amp head is probably worth $200. You could try hitting the insert jack and volume pots with some contact cleaner.

it is def not the cab. Think about it, speaker cabs are used in all kinds of weather and live in the rain and whatnot. I'm pretty sure places like Florida, Houston, TX and Brazil are far more humid then your bedroom.

I know you don' want to hear this and I'm not trying to be a dick but it is time for some new gear. You owe it to yourself. The Valveking cab is complete crap. It is not a good cab. The XXL, while passable, is also kind of a muddy noisy mess. I really didn't care for the one I played anyway.

I'd sell that gear and start over. It sounds to me like having a half stack is more important than having good tone. Go try a Vypyr 60 or a 3120 or XXX and through a decent cab and you'll see what I mean.

Again, not really trying to be an asshat here. Sorry, but it had to be said.

PS: You take nice pictures

Yeah, I was checking out a Peavey Vypyr 60 and watching some reviews on it and I like what I seen. I don't really want to go tube, because it would be to much trouble, in my eyes, to change tubes everytime one goes out. That's the only problem I have with the Peavey Vypyr 60. How long does tubes actually last?

And thank you for checking out my work.
About 3-5 years for output tubes depending on how much and loud you play, and pre amp tubes a lifetime. A tube going out is not very common, and might indicate that something else is wrong with the amp. And while on that, tube amps are a lot easier to troubleshoot and repair than a solid state.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
tube amps are a lot easier to troubleshoot and repair than a solid state.

This.

I mean, if your head had been tube, you would have had to order new power tubes, which would cost like $70 bucks tops for a matched set, as opposed to buying an entire new amp.

Realistically, you could shoot for a new amp head first, then after buying that (so you can at least play while you wait) you could buy a new cab.
Quote by AtaBorMan
About 3-5 years for output tubes depending on how much and loud you play, and pre amp tubes a lifetime. A tube going out is not very common, and might indicate that something else is wrong with the amp. And while on that, tube amps are a lot easier to troubleshoot and repair than a solid state.

I won't be playing that loud as I will be playing in my bedroom most of the time. I've got a small 60 watt Fender keyboard amp as a backup that I could jam on until I can get the money when I get back to school. After that, maybe I could sale off my cab to help out with the price.

Will the Peavey Vypyr 60 be loud enough to gig with?
The Vypyr 60 is pretty loud. It is probably louder than your XXL. It does get a tad digital sounding depending on how you have it set up. I have some clips of the Diezel, Recto, XXX, etc in my profile. The real good clips are by shredkev on youtube.

Tubes can last 20 minutes or 20 years. However, as mentioned, tube amps are bit more simpler and easier to trouble shoot and fix. They also sound a lot better. The Vypyr is not a full tube amp it is a hybrid.

You can also consider something like a Pod HD and run that into your keyboard amp. Should sound pretty good.