I have a question regarding the Pentatonic scale. Theres a small difference in between what the major and minor pentatonic scales are right? I can't remember them off the top of my head. But say I'm playing a Am pentatonic. Could I play that Am pentatonic in the key of A major? Would that work with the Am pentatonic extension?
Yep. It's done all the time in Blues, and more.... and what do you mean by extension?
Minor pentatonic usually don't fit in A major. It can work, but I rarely do it.
to me it sounds OK unless the song is really emphasizing the major key, then ill jump to the major pentatonic - I just move my pattern down one and a half steps.
Quote by mdc
Yep. It's done all the time in Blues, and more.... and what do you mean by extension?

The pentatonic extension.
I just wrote a new song and put the key as Am and played the pentatonic Am over Am G C F Am. seems to sound good. I am new to putting scales in certain keys. thanks
Quote by Urban7

This term doesn't mean anything to anyone here, what on earth are you on about? BE SPECIFIC DAMMIT.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Urban7
I just wrote a new song and put the key as Am and played the pentatonic Am over Am G C F Am. seems to sound good. I am new to putting scales in certain keys. thanks

I'm with Zaphod here, I have no idea what you're on about.

To answer your original question, the difference between the major pentatonic and the major pentationic is, suprisingly, that the major pentatonic is derived from the major scale whilst the minor pentatonic is derived from the natural minor scale.

Specifically the major pentatonic is the major scale omitting the 4th and the 7th, the minor pentatonic is the natural minor scale omitting the 2nd and the 6th. Missing out those notes from those scales takes the half steps out of the picture, leaving you with the most consonant notes of the scale which are arguable easier to work with.

As far as using the parallel minor pentatonic over a major progression eg A minor pentatonic over an A major progression - yes, not only can you do it, it get's done in pretty much every blues and rock song you've ever heard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Urban7

Well, you'd be playing the following scales over the respective chords.

Am pentatonic,
G Ritusen,
C major pentatonic
Fuck knows
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This term doesn't mean anything to anyone here, what on earth are you on about? BE SPECIFIC DAMMIT.

no need being a dick. I'm teaching myself all of this stuff and not quite familiar with it yet. I've just been referring to it as the Extension of the minor pentatonic scale. My bad. and by the way its to damn hard to upload a picture on this forum. To many restrictions.
Attachments:
minor pentatonic.png
Quote by Urban7
no need being a dick. I'm teaching myself all of this stuff and not quite familiar with it yet. I've just been referring to it as the Extension of the minor pentatonic scale. My bad. and by the way its to damn hard to upload a picture on this forum. To many restrictions.

I didn't check the picture carefully, but usually what people take to mean "extensions" of scales just means that patterns are being played at different positions across the neck. As such, there's no real extension to the scale - with the Am pentatonic, you're playing A C D E G wherever you are on the neck. The scale itself is not extended at all, and this is why it's more useful to learn the scales as notes and intervals rather than patterns or shapes.

By the way, don't worry about "no need being a dick", it's the way of many UGers to behave like complete douches in response to help threads.
Thanks I think that helps the concept a little bit easier to understand.
Good to know everyone on here are assholes. Most of you guys really help me. This shit is super hard to figure out at first. Appreciate it
Quote by Urban7

1 - Wasn't really being a dick, when you were questioned on what you mean you just restated the name of what you were referring to. This doesn't help anyone. If you think "BE SPECIFIC DAMMIT" is someone being a dick I almost worry for your sanity on the internet.

2 - Being a dick is often much more effective on the internet than being too nice; you listened to my question and we got a response that contained all the information we needed.

Yes, I behave like an arsehole... but I'm also right most of the time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Wasn't really being a dick, when you were questioned on what you mean you just restated the name of what you were referring to. This doesn't help anyone. If you think "BE SPECIFIC DAMMIT" is someone being a dick I almost worry for your sanity on the internet.

2 - Being a dick is often much more effective on the internet than being too nice; you listened to my question and we got a response that contained all the information we needed.

Yes, I behave like an arsehole... but I'm also right most of the time.

Well as long as your right all the time i dont care how you act. I appreciate the tips though
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Wasn't really being a dick,

2 - Being a dick is often much more effective on the internet than being too nice.

I love it... you dick.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 9, 2011,