Page 1 of 2
So I'm doing a report on the workings of the guitar for my physics class, and I came across this article that has a statement so stupid it's laughable. I figured it would be worth sharing:

If you've ever seen an electric guitar, you'll have noticed that most of them have thin, solid bodies often made out of plastic. Resonance isn't at work here: electric guitars produce their sound through an entirely different process. In fact, even though acoustic and electric guitars look similar, and you play them in a broadly similar way, they are quite different instruments. Electric guitars actually have more in common with bicycles than with acoustic guitars!

Original article here: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/electricguitars.html
Quote by mike_oxbig

it's people like this that make it so science hasn't won the war over religion yet.

I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
bible freak: ACTUALLY YOUR GUITAR MAKES SOUND BECAUSE GOD WILLED IT TO DO SO.

LOOKS LIKE WE'RE BOTH WRONG, WE'LL CALL IT A DRAW.
lol sent him an email... lets hope he fixes it
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
lol sent him an email... lets hope he fixes it

I did too but I doubt he will.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
more in common with bicycles.

id like to show him how baseball bats are "similar" to popsicle sticks...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
PLASTIC? : I'm going straight to GC and demanding my money back right now!!!

Seriously, do it. And show them the article. You might as well videotape their reaction and post it to AFV. Then you'd be able to get $10,000 or even $100,000 worth of plastic guitars.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
"...resonance doesn't play a part at all! what really happens is electricity picks up the signal, carries them down some wires, which are carried down more wires, which go through some circuitry in your xbox and turn into sound! if all goes well it will give you star power which you can activate by raising your guitar in the air!"

A surprisingly large number of people think electric guitar bodies are mostly plastic.

I've never actually seen a plastic body guitar...closest would be those clear acrylic electrics...I think the first ones were Dan Electros...
Quote by XylemBassGuitar
A surprisingly large number of people think electric guitar bodies are mostly plastic.

I've never actually seen a plastic body guitar...closest would be those clear acrylic electrics...I think the first ones were Dan Electros...

Naw, the first was the "Lucite Stratocaster" from 1957. Apparently it weighed like 20lbs and sounded terrible. It was basically only a full-sized display model for the inner workings of a stratocaster.

http://www.strat-central.com/external/LuciteStrat.asp.htm
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Naw, the first was the "Lucite Stratocaster" from 1957. Apparently it weighed like 20lbs and sounded terrible. It was basically only a full-sized display model for the inner workings of a stratocaster.

http://www.strat-central.com/external/LuciteStrat.asp.htm

That is cool as hell! I've seen acrylic bodies but never a neck lol
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
Quote by XylemBassGuitar

My sister thought electric guitars were made out of metal.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
My sister thought electric guitars were made out of metal.

Some of them are.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
oh, now your post is showing up. haha it wasn't when i made the post...or when i took the screenshot.

weird.
Quote by mike_oxbig
it would be kinda funny to spam the shit out of his facebook page

kinda funny?

more like a public service.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
lol he replied

he conceded that gibsons weren't made of plastic

i think my head is going to explode
Tell him that most guitars are made out of wood. The only production 'plastic' guitars I am aware of are those Parker guitars that are made of carbon fiber or w/e. We would be more than happy to provide him with internet links to guitar manufacturer websites that give the specs. on their guitars including the materials they are made of. If that idiot makes it through college, I'm flushing my degree.... Oh wait, maybe he's going to community college...
lol it wasn't deleted, you just have to click "Everyone (most recent)" instead of "Everyone (top posts)"

yes the article is kinda fail, but he kinda pwnd you "It was originally written for young readers, which is why the explanation is very simplistic."
Quote by &baconstrips
lol it wasn't deleted, you just have to click "Everyone (most recent)" instead of "Everyone (top posts)"

yes the article is kinda fail, but he kinda pwnd you "It was originally written for young readers, which is why the explanation is very simplistic."

the world is flat

don't worry, that statement only applies to young readers.
I'm with you guys on the fact that the article is poorly informed and overall badly written, I just find it funny that you're reading something "written for young readers"
do you see anywhere on the page that claims the article was meant for young readers? No? Me neither. Would young readers show any empathy towards this line:

"Who could forget Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, or Nirvana"

Yeah every 6 year old wants to play the guitar like chuck berry. I actually bought a chuck berry poster for my nephew, he'll love it.

It was a shit excuse and you're coming off as stupid because you're buying it.
i believe there is a company called "switch" or something that made guitars with a bit of fiberglass (or maybe all fiberglass), some kid had one a long time ago and he was like if you tell me what its made of i will give you $20, me being somewhat guitar savvy said fiberglass. i got $20 lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There are some dumb, dumb people out there.

I just got finished having a conversation with someone who was proud as punch about her "1982 Epiphone/Gibson Special Edition Les Paul" that was supposedly made by Epiphone and finished by Gibson in their joint factory when the two companies merged in the early eighties.

It was an 2005 (Checked the S/N) Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with "Gibson" stamped on the truss rod cover and a "Special Edition" sticker over the "Made In China" label. But I didn't dare tell her that, or that Gibson bought Epiphone in the early 60s and that they've been making guitars overseas since the 70s, or that "flamed maple" is not extinct, or that there is actually legal breeds of rosewood. She was just so into it that her guitar was "special;" I just nodded and smiled.

So, just let this guy write what he wants to write, however wrong it may be. Just stop harassing him and nod and smile.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by &baconstrips

How is that "pwning" anyone?

I'll crack open a thesaurus to double-check this mystery, but to the best of my knowledge "simplistic" and "ridiculously wrong" are not synonyms.
Page 1 of 2