I have Ibanez Rg370dx and it seems really boomy and muddy in the low end! It's made of basswood and I bought it for $400. I've tried the guitar on at least three different amps and on EACH ONE, I had to turn bass to 1-2, mid 1, treble 9 to get a passable 80s rock/metal sound! If I set everything flat, the sound is REALLY bass-heavy, sounds like I'm playing through a bass amp. Even Dimarzio pickups have not helped!

Meanwhile, I've played Jacksons, Gibsons, even other Ibanez guitars through amps at the music store, and I set everything flat and it sounds perfectly fine!

Is this normal on cheap Ibanez guitars? Do I just need a better guitar to get the sound I'm looking for?
Two suggestions:

1. Lower your pickup heights, make sure the tone knob is set to 10 and not 0

2. Post in the right forum
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Are you using 500K pots? Is everything wired correctly?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Flux'D
Two suggestions:

1. Lower your pickup heights, make sure the tone knob is set to 10 and not 0

2. Post in the right forum

Thanks I'll try that, and the tone knob is fine

Sorry, I didn't know which forum was appropriate
Quote by R45VT
Mid 1? Wow. And you replaced the pick-ups?

AND I have to scoop the mids a bit more with an EQ pedal
off topic slightly. your guitar doesn't suck. its not the best. on the lower model ibanez guitars they have two common problems, crappy trems and crappy pickups, you replaced the pickups, as long as you did with a suitable replacement, and the other issue as far as the trem goes, thats what you get on a budget guitar.

also i am curious, you do not have an X2N in there do ya?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wait, wat? Nothing about your post makes any sense... Basswood is a really balanced wood. Common complaints are a lack of bass. And putting mids all the way down and then scooping them out more with an EQ for 80s rock and metal? The fuck?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Does it count as scooped mids if all the final product is is treble?

What pickups did you put in, and what amps did you try through. These are important questions that need answering.
Quote by mmolteratx
Wait, wat? Nothing about your post makes any sense... Basswood is a really balanced wood. Common complaints are a lack of bass. And putting mids all the way down and then scooping them out more with an EQ for 80s rock and metal? The fuck?

+1. Basswood really doesnt hav that much character to it, brings out your amp and pickups more than other woods.

What amps did you try? The RG370 is actually a nice basswood guitar.
Yeah, what amps are you using? I'm not a big Ibanez fan, but they do make pretty good guitars.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing electric?
What is your EQ pedal set to?
Does this happen when you leave the EQ pedal out of your set up?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If all else fails you can wire a 0.47uf tone cap in line between each pickup's hot lead and where ever it connects to. That'll filter out some of the bass end of the sound. I've had to do that with a Tone Zone in the bridge of a basswood RG470 before. The TZ is known to have a muddy lower end in certain tone woods though.