Hey guys, help me choose some pickups for my LP.

It's a solid mahogany body with a maple top. Mahogany neck w/ rosewood fretboard. The guitar is kind of dark tonally which I don't really mind, but I definitely don't want p'ups that are going to exaggerate that. At the same rate, I don't want really bright p'ups. It's got some Duncans in it right now, an SH-4 in the bridge and an SH-2N in the neck. They just aren't really doing it for the guitar though, especially the SH-2N.

I'm looking for something pretty balanced, but detailed. I'd like the bridge to be kind of hot but nothing crazy (no actives, no Breed, etc.). The neck p'up doesn't need to be hot, but I don't want it to be weak either. I need pickups that sound nice and warm through clean amp settings but the bridge needs to sound great in mid and high gain type stuff too. No mud (muddiness is one of the issues it has right now). I'd like a bridge pickup that is punchy in the low end. The SH-4 is pretty soft which I don't like, particularly when playing high gain stuff.

You're talking to a poor man here, so please no ridiculously priced suggestions. I have to find the right balance between price & performance. Also, please only make suggestions based on experience. No suggestions based on hearsay, guessing, bandwagoning, or other stuff like that.

Thanks.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uhhh, what's your maximum budget?

Kind of depends. To me, getting around the $180+ mark per pickup is getting unreasonable (taking into consideration my disposable income ). I'd love to stay well below that, but if there is magic to be had then I might be able to talk myself into stretching.
Well, I'd look into some BKP Nailbombs for your Les Paul, every sound clip I've ever heard with Nailbombs in a Les Paul was Godsend for any kind of rock/heavy rock, but not metal.

BKP humbuckers run about $150 per pickup from www.guitarasylum.com

Or you can go with UG's favorite budget pickups, a SD 59 and JB, like $60-$80 per pickup, I don't remember.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, I'd look into some BKP Nailbombs for your Les Paul, every sound clip I've ever heard with Nailbombs in a Les Paul was Godsend for any kind of rock/heavy rock, but not metal.

BKP humbuckers run about $150 per pickup from www.guitarasylum.com

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Or you can go with UG's favorite budget pickups, a SD 59 and JB, like $60-$80 per pickup, I don't remember.

I already have a JB (SH-4) in this guitar and it's not anything to write home about as it sits. Not sure if I'm gonna jump on Duncans, I've gone through a lot in Strats that I just never was able to fall in love with. I'm kind of new to LP's believe it or not. I've been a long time Strat player.
Well, if you can't tell I'm a big fan of BKP's, expensive, but I haven't bought a pickup from them yet that I didn't like and wasn't completely and utterly impressed by.

Rock Monkey pickups are good too, CoreyEW here on UG makes them, but they are in the UK, and are just as expensive as BKP's.

I hear Swineshead pickups are good too, but idk if they guy is back to making the pickups again, last I heard he had to shut down his site because he had such a huge back order on his pickups. Guess they got way to popular for him to keep up.
I rather liked my DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. I'd paired it with a Tone Zone but it might exacerbate your problems with darkness.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
This is only from research i did when i was looking for pups but i was pretty close to getting the WCR crossroads. then i remembered i was putting them into a epiphone so i didn't want to spend that much cash on a pretty mediocre guitar.
Quote by joe_k
This is only from research i did when i was looking for pups but i was pretty close to getting the WCR crossroads. then i remembered i was putting them into a epiphone so i didn't want to spend that much cash on a pretty mediocre guitar.

I put $340 worth of pickups into a $100 guitar, was the best thing I could of ever done, cause it's epic.
What amp?

Actually nailbombs came to mind when I read your needs/wants. I had them in a McCarty (same build basically) and they did real well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've been checking out the ceramic Nailbombs on the BKP site. I'm definitely digging the sound. But I think I actually like the Rebel Yells a bit better.
Quote by AcousticMirror
bg pickups hella buckers.

Too hot.

Quote by AcousticMirror
don't bother with the rebel yells.

Why? What say ye?
Last edited by CECamps at Dec 8, 2011,
I'm putting Nailbombs in my LP. Just waiting on the shipment.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by CECamps
Too hot.

Why? What say ye?

they are weaksauce.

nailbombs are good. but hellabuckers are better for an lp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by CECamps
I've been checking out the ceramic Nailbombs on the BKP site. I'm definitely digging the sound. But I think I actually like the Rebel Yells a bit better.

Alnico neck, ceramic bridge.
Quote by AcousticMirror
they are weaksauce.

They are extremely close in output to the Nailbombs. Just a touch lower. I personally thought they sounded clearer. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Nailbombs sounded great (particularly the ceramic).

Have you played Rebel Yells?

Quote by AcousticMirror
nailbombs are good. but hellabuckers are better for an lp.

Hella Buckers are too hot, especially the neck p'up.

Laughing at this from the BG website:

"BG Pups resides in a log cabin nestled deep in the woods of the western slope of the sierra nevada mountains in northern california. In all of my centuries of testing I've found that if you want a woody sound to your pickup, you need to surround yourself with lots of wood. Hence the reason we live in a log cabin in the woods. Our magnetically charged wooden ions are killer in these parts.

All of my pups are wound on a magical scatter winder that winds in both directions. Fender and Gibson. Every few hundred winds or so I apply a special brew to the coil. This brew was given to me by an old Haitian voodoo priestess I met in the swamps of Florida many years ago while I was searching for the age old question, alnico 2 or alnico 5. She told me this brew contained bodily fluids of a few semi famous blues players who had sold there souls to the devil throughout the years and it would bring great tone and phrasing to all who possessed just a small portion of this potion.

Once the pickup is wound to the precise ratio of scatter to parallel layers it is removed from the magical scatter winder and placed on an assembly alter. This alter is specially made from the heartwood of a pinion tree that grew in the Cathedral Rock Vortex in Sedona Arizona. The magnetically charged ions in this wood helps add to the mojo of the alnico. This is also where the hook up wires are attached and final assembly is done. We disassemble many, many old radios for the classic old wire that gave these old beasts their distinctive tone. once we have gathered enough of this ancient wire, we take it to the sacred salvage yard and sell it so we can buy new reliable hookup wires for your magical transducer.

Now that the pickup is assembled, it is prepared to be baptized in heated wax. Before being dunked into the enhanced mixture of waxes from around the world, the pups are blessed by my friend who is a Buddhist monk. He chants over each pup for a specific period of time to ensure many years of good karma is installed within the coils. He then carefully places each pup into the wax to make sure all his good karma was sealed properly into the pickup.

All pups are then play tested to verify that the mojo is getting along properly with the karma. Once this is verified they are sent to their new owners who have been waiting patiently for the creation of their new BG Pups."

Quote by CECamps
They are extremely close in output to the Nailbombs. Just a touch lower. I personally thought they sounded clearer. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Nailbombs sounded great (particularly the ceramic).

Have you played Rebel Yells?

Hella Buckers are too hot, especially the neck p'up.

Laughing at this from the BG website:

"BG Pups resides in a log cabin nestled deep in the woods of the western slope of the sierra nevada mountains in northern california. In all of my centuries of testing I've found that if you want a woody sound to your pickup, you need to surround yourself with lots of wood. Hence the reason we live in a log cabin in the woods. Our magnetically charged wooden ions are killer in these parts.

All of my pups are wound on a magical scatter winder that winds in both directions. Fender and Gibson. Every few hundred winds or so I apply a special brew to the coil. This brew was given to me by an old Haitian voodoo priestess I met in the swamps of Florida many years ago while I was searching for the age old question, alnico 2 or alnico 5. She told me this brew contained bodily fluids of a few semi famous blues players who had sold there souls to the devil throughout the years and it would bring great tone and phrasing to all who possessed just a small portion of this potion.

Once the pickup is wound to the precise ratio of scatter to parallel layers it is removed from the magical scatter winder and placed on an assembly alter. This alter is specially made from the heartwood of a pinion tree that grew in the Cathedral Rock Vortex in Sedona Arizona. The magnetically charged ions in this wood helps add to the mojo of the alnico. This is also where the hook up wires are attached and final assembly is done. We disassemble many, many old radios for the classic old wire that gave these old beasts their distinctive tone. once we have gathered enough of this ancient wire, we take it to the sacred salvage yard and sell it so we can buy new reliable hookup wires for your magical transducer.

Now that the pickup is assembled, it is prepared to be baptized in heated wax. Before being dunked into the enhanced mixture of waxes from around the world, the pups are blessed by my friend who is a Buddhist monk. He chants over each pup for a specific period of time to ensure many years of good karma is installed within the coils. He then carefully places each pup into the wax to make sure all his good karma was sealed properly into the pickup.

All pups are then play tested to verify that the mojo is getting along properly with the karma. Once this is verified they are sent to their new owners who have been waiting patiently for the creation of their new BG Pups."

ya i like that. he's a cool guy.
ya I owned a pair of rebel yells for a while.

the bridge hellabucker is 16k and i got a smokestack for the neck which i think was 10k.

i thought the output was comparable to the nailbombs actually.

I didn't like the rebel yells at all in any guitar I put them in.
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya i like that. he's a cool guy.
ya I owned a pair of rebel yells for a while.

the bridge hellabucker is 16k and i got a smokestack for the neck which i think was 10k.

i thought the output was comparable to the nailbombs actually.

I didn't like the rebel yells at all in any guitar I put them in.

Cool, thanks for the info. What didn't you like about the Rebel Yells?
MHD Asylum set.

I currently have the Asylum set in my LP and its some of the best sounds ever. Also, when I split the coils its sounds fantastic as well.

http://www.mhd-pickups.com/

now if you wanted to stick to Dimarzio, for the bridge I'd recommend the Norton and an Air Norton for the neck.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
MHD Asylum set.

I currently have the Asylum set in my LP and its some of the best sounds ever. Also, when I split the coils its sounds fantastic as well.

http://www.mhd-pickups.com/

now if you wanted to stick to Dimarzio, for the bridge I'd recommend the Norton and an Air Norton for the neck.

First time hearing of those. I noticed at a brief glance that the site has no sound clips. Do you know where I can hear them?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by CECamps
First time hearing of those. I noticed at a brief glance that the site has no sound clips. Do you know where I can hear them?

I did a couple of clips here:

http://soundcloud.com/jlt73
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by CECamps
LMFAO!!!

way too low output for what you want to do anyway.
Quote by CECamps
Min, still wanting to know what specifically you didn't like about the Rebel Yells.

He prolly doesn't like the Southern rock feel they give off.

I say if you like the sound clips, go for them, BKP's have a very high sell back value if you don't like them. Lot's of people on this site would buy them with a $30 used discount on them.
Quote by CECamps
We disassemble many, many old radios for the classic old wire that gave these old beasts their distinctive tone. Once we have gathered enough of this ancient wire, we take it to the sacred salvage yard and sell it so we can buy new reliable hookup wires for your magical transducer.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by CECamps
Min, still wanting to know what specifically you didn't like about the Rebel Yells.

not very ballsy
Quote by AcousticMirror
not very ballsy

What guitars did you put them in? I have to be careful about bass response as my LP inherently has a lot of low end fullness. The snappy, tight low end of those p'ups is one of the things I really liked about them.
resisting obvious asian joke...

because that would be racist...
Quote by CECamps
Hey guys, help me choose some pickups for my LP.

It's a solid mahogany body with a maple top. Mahogany neck w/ rosewood fretboard. The guitar is kind of dark tonally which I don't really mind, but I definitely don't want p'ups that are going to exaggerate that. At the same rate, I don't want really bright p'ups. It's got some Duncans in it right now, an SH-4 in the bridge and an SH-2N in the neck. They just aren't really doing it for the guitar though, especially the SH-2N.

I'm looking for something pretty balanced, but detailed. I'd like the bridge to be kind of hot but nothing crazy (no actives, no Breed, etc.). The neck p'up doesn't need to be hot, but I don't want it to be weak either. I need pickups that sound nice and warm through clean amp settings but the bridge needs to sound great in mid and high gain type stuff too. No mud (muddiness is one of the issues it has right now). I'd like a bridge pickup that is punchy in the low end. The SH-4 is pretty soft which I don't like, particularly when playing high gain stuff.

You're talking to a poor man here, so please no ridiculously priced suggestions. I have to find the right balance between price & performance. Also, please only make suggestions based on experience. No suggestions based on hearsay, guessing, bandwagoning, or other stuff like that.

Thanks.
What amp are you likely to be running into? One of your Brigands or something?
I'm not a fan of really hot pickups when you've got plenty of preamp gain on tap anyway, it feels like you lose a bit of bite.

The Tonerider Rocksong or the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat sets might work for you.
I have a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany (which is a very dark guitar, solid mahogany with no maple cap) and I have Burstbucker Pros in it. IMO, these are the perfect fit for a tonally dark guitar. They are pretty bright and add some high end bite to the tone. The Burstbucker Pro is essentially an overwound PAF with an Alnico V magnet. Otherwise, if that is not hot enough for you the Gibson 500T ceramic pickup is also pretty good at brightening up tone a bit, but for me it was a little too over the top in output.
I was gonna recommend the combo I run in my Les Paul, but it seems as though you're probably staying away from Duncan's and sticking with Bareknuckle.

I have the Pearly Gates in the Bridge and AlNiCo II Pro in the neck, and I love the combo. I play just about everything (from SRV and Clapton to Lamb of God and Children of Bodom) and they work for pretty much everything. The Pearly Gates has some nice bite and brightness to it, without being too harsh or thin, and the AlNiCo II Pro is as smooth as it gets and has great cleans. With some twists of the knobs and flicks of the pickup selector, there isn't a tone I haven't been able to dial in yet, honestly. (Save maybe a true single coil tone, but that's like trying to get a Lion to squeak like a mouse...)
how hot do you want them to be?

normally heat (everything else being equal, anyway) mdeans darker and less open
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?