I'm looking for a new amp, and I can only spend about $100. I found two peaveys online, the Rage 258 and the vypyr 15. I have no clue about this stuff, so can someone please help me out?
No competition.

Vypyr.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Yes, but would you prefer better tone or slightly louder + shitty tone?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Vypyr, no question.
GEAR:
Jackson JS30KE
ESP EC 401FM
Ibanez RG 321MH
Peavey 6505+ 112

Brice HXB 405GL2TS
ESP B154DX
Ampeg BA-108

TC Electronics Polytune
Vox Classic Wah
Quote by soccerfanm7
But what's the deal with the onboard effects, are they any good?

IMHO, no.

Depending on what you want to play, I'd say spend a lot of time in a music store playing things like Fender Mustangs, VOX VTs, Roland Cubes, and maybe even some low wattage tube amps. Then see what you like.

The tube amps will generally be more expensive, but it might be worth saving up and waiting.

Another option is getting an MFX pedal, which can be easier to use and have better effects than most effects built into amps. My main practice rig is a Digitech RP-355 through a VOX DA5. My other rig is a Marshall all-tube 4 channel half stack, but I play the practice rig 90%+ of the time even though the tube rig is right across the hall.
For small performances, what do u think?
Last edited by soccerfanm7 at Dec 8, 2011,
If you're playing metal, a 15w solid state amp will not be able to keep up with a drummer. If you're mic'd, you'd be fine though. The onboard effects aren't going to be great, so it really depends on what you want to do. But a good delay pedal will cost more than a used vypyr 15, so it's a matter of scale :P For under $100 used, the vypyr delivers quite a bit.

I don't think the 15w vypyr is compatible with the sanpera footswitches tho, so I'm not sure how you're going to change channels/patches/effects while on stage :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by soccerfanm7

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I only do small performances and we bring a trailer with Roland V-drums, a couple of guitars, the half-stack, a GNX4, mics, and our own stage monitor. Oh yeah, that half-stack is 100watts. Overkill. Never goes over 3. But thanks to Master Volume, it gets great tone at any volume. I don't even need the cab; I can leave the power amp off and plug the XLR line out directly to the house PA.

If the performance is really small, like we're using someone else's drums, I might hook the head to a 1x10 cab (really just a crappy combo so crappy I disconnected the amp and plug the other head straight into the cab. Yeah, it's an MG30DFX--worst purchase ever, but sounds good enough driven by the tube head)

And for "Jam" sessions we use the hosts' drums and amp--I just plug the GNX4 into their rig.

With any serious Digitech, Line 6, or rack MFX you can plug straight into the house PA with XLR. The new Zoom G3 does this too. Even Boss and VOX MFX can go to the house PA through a DI Box, or for a short run maybe even straight into the board.

I wouldn't think of a Vypyr for any kind of show--the effects are too clunky and cumbersome to use. Sure, you could get the foot pedal, but by then you might as well have just bought an MFX pedal and get much better results.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by soccerfanm7

For $100?

If that is all you are willing to put into it then don't expect much.

crap in crap out

Save up.

I have a Vypyr 60 that I would consider gigging with but I paid $315 for it used.
I have the peavy vypyr 15. i think it sucks. had the roland cube 15 and i so regret trading that for this shit. checkout the roland. the peavy has alot of features but the sound is garbage. then again i have a shit guitar...lol
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
yeah probably so, i need to learn how to do that better. my fault for ruining your thread dude.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
it's a pity you don't have the cash for the Vypyr 30, cos that's even better than the Vypyr 15 because of the stompbox effects, but definitely the Vypyer 15.
i havent had a chance to play the vypyr 15 at all, but i own a rage 258 and it is definitely a good amp for the money. have owned it for 4 years and never had any problems at all, it sounds good if you spend a little bit of time just finding what settings you like best, it is very very simple and easy to use. in my opinion you wouldnt be disapointed, i wasnt.
I say go with the vypyr. Vypyrs are amazing for hi gain. And not bad for clean too. I sucked at EQing but now i think im pretty good at it. I love my vypyr even though it starts breaking up like hell after 4-5 on the master volume! But that could just be my vypyr! Cheers!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.