I was hoping some one could help me out. I am interested in building a guitar out of alternative materials. Has this been done in the past? I would like to follow an example for this build.
I feel like you could fight off a bear with a blackbird guitar, then use it as a canoe paddle. I'll probably get one if I ever have 2 grand to drop on a guit (so... never).

edit: Also, Ovation acoustic guitars have composite backs/sides, made of "Lycrachord", which seems to be similar to fiberglass http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars
Last edited by &baconstrips at Dec 9, 2011,
Again thanks for the help.

Anything more along the lines of plastic?
Jack White's Airline is plastic? there was allot of plastic guitars back in time. As well as plywood like my 60's Tiesco Del Ray.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
@LeviMan- you are correct sir I asked a friend of mine who own a similar guitar and his does indeed have a wood core.

@slevi- My Tiesco plays wonderfully actualy. I had to replace the machine heads to Grovers, re-wire it and make a replacement pickguard. After a good set up and neck adjustment it plays like any of my other guitars. It has one massive neck though :P
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special