For starters let me just say that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amplifiers. Its embarrassing to say I own an Marshall MG halfstack (was pressured in to buying it, long story...). I joined a band recently and we plan to play most modern metal like 5FDP, All That Remains, Killswitch, etc. all the while recording our own stuff similar sounding to those bands.

Anyways I'm fed up with the rancid tone thats coming out of this thing, and I plan to sell it and start anew. I'm thinking of looking along the lines of a Randall RM100 or something along the Randall line, as that seems to be the only amp that really impresses me that is within my budget range for a new amp. Does anyone have any past experience with this amp or anything on the Randall line, and is it a good choice?

I also wanted to know if a Line 6 POD would be a good cheaper alternative for improving my tone. I have little to none understanding as to what it is really but I'm guessing its a huge preamp in itself and just uses your amp as a speaker? Forgive me if I sound incredibly noobish right now...but thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
I'll just throw out my two cents. The Randall amps on the lower end are average at best. The RM series (modular) are very good and highly versatile. The variety of modules cover pretty much anything for electric guitar. The modular design is OEM'd from Egnater Amplification. Have you played one or only watched clips or what? What modules were you thinking of? It seems like a good choice in the $1,000 range used. Is that the range you are in?

What is your budget?

The Pod series in general are pretty good but again it depends on what you are looking for exactly. Pocket Pod, for example, is different than Pod Farm which is different than the Pod HDs. Again, it depends on what your budget is.

And don't worry about the MG and the noob status, we all have to start somewhere.

We can def help - but we need some more info from you.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll just throw out my two cents. The Randall amps on the lower end are average at best. The RM series (modular) are very good and highly versatile. The variety of modules cover pretty much anything for electric guitar. The modular design is OEM'd from Egnater Amplification. Have you played one or only watched clips or what? What modules were you thinking of? It seems like a good choice in the $1,000 range used. Is that the range you are in?

What is your budget?

The Pod series in general are pretty good but again it depends on what you are looking for exactly. Pocket Pod, for example, is different than Pod Farm which is different than the Pod HDs. Again, it depends on what your budget is.

And don't worry about the MG and the noob status, we all have to start somewhere.

We can def help - but we need some more info from you.

Surely man, thanks for the reply. I loved all the demos on Youtube of this amp (never heard one in person before), its great sounding. Only thing I really prefer over it is an Orange Rockerverb (which I've heard at the studio I go to), but that's out of my budget range, which is by the way around $1300, maybe 1500 at most. I've messed around with other selections to like a 6505+, pretty much every high-end Marshall, and some Mesas. None to my liking whatsoever.
My reasoning for wanting the RM100 over a Rockerverb is I can probably by it brand new, which is great. An ultra module might bulk up the price a tad but its pretty much required, I'm not sure if purchasing the amp means it comes with an actual module.

I've only checked out POD HD's before, I'm not really sure what the other types are and what they have to offer in comparison to say the HD500, which I have seen on video, never in person before. I like it because the amp models on it seem pretty legit but will running it through my amp really alter the tone that much? Plus it seems very confusing to use, and like my current multi-effect I might get sick of using it over time.
So....couple of questions.

Do you have a new cab in that budget? Don't get a awesome amp with your current cab.
Are you willing to buy used? There are tons of used RM modules out there.
Do you need anything outside of 5FDP, ATR, and KSE?
Have you ever heard of Splawn Amplification?
What is your current MFX?
Why do you need a MFX?
What effects do you use the most?

Rockerverb is awesome, as is the Thunderverb. You might be able to find a used one in your budget but would leave nothing for a cab.

The real magic with the RM modules are the modded ones you can find used. Seriously.

If you have to, consider cutting your amp budget a bit to make sure you have a decent cab - even if that means getting a 212. Your recordings and your audience will thank you.

The HD500 is pretty much the top of line. I have heard some really good things out of it. Similar to the Digitech RP1000 but probably not as good as the 11 Rack stuff and AxeFX for example. Again, why do you need something liek that and what is your budget for said Effects?

yes - a MFX will alter the amp tone. If you are stuck on having a MFX you might consider running strait into a PA or getting a super clean amp like a JAzz Chorus, Music Man, Fender, Ampeg something someting

just my .311 cents
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So....couple of questions.

Do you have a new cab in that budget? Don't get a awesome amp with your current cab.
Are you willing to buy used? There are tons of used RM modules out there.
Do you need anything outside of 5FDP, ATR, and KSE?
Have you ever heard of Splawn Amplification?
What is your current MFX?
Why do you need a MFX?
What effects do you use the most?

Rockerverb is awesome, as is the Thunderverb. You might be able to find a used one in your budget but would leave nothing for a cab.

The real magic with the RM modules are the modded ones you can find used. Seriously.

If you have to, consider cutting your amp budget a bit to make sure you have a decent cab - even if that means getting a 212. Your recordings and your audience will thank you.

The HD500 is pretty much the top of line. I have heard some really good things out of it. Similar to the Digitech RP1000 but probably not as good as the 11 Rack stuff and AxeFX for example. Again, why do you need something liek that and what is your budget for said Effects?

yes - a MFX will alter the amp tone. If you are stuck on having a MFX you might consider running strait into a PA or getting a super clean amp like a JAzz Chorus, Music Man, Fender, Ampeg something someting

just my .311 cents

1. Didn't think of it to be honest, what's a good 2x12 that would go great with an RM100?
2. Its depending on the seller but yes I wouldn't see why not. Are people on craigslist who sell guitar gear usually reliable?
3. Not really, to put it very generally I just need something with a good tone for metalcore, for example ATR and KSE. 5FDP is just a random example.
4. Never, like I said I'm a gear noob.
5. Digitech RP350, only nice feature is the clean models. Everything else is eh...
6. I don't its just the other guitarist in my band recommended one as an alternative just in case a new amp wasn't in the budget right now.
7. Mostly wah when just improvising but I'll buy a wah down the road if that's the case. No effect is a necessity for me right now. A good reverb would be nice though.

If that's the case I'll save an Orange amp for another day, if a new cab is really necessary with a new head I'd rather have that. I wouldn't know what amp and cab to get that would probably fall in the budget total of $1500 though, even the RM100 and the match cab would be a stretch.

I don't really need an MFX at all. Like I said it was just a cheaper recommendation. I'd rather just a new amp that can get a nice metalcore tone any day.
Quote by Malice26
1. Didn't think of it to be honest, what's a good 2x12 that would go great with an RM100?
2. Its depending on the seller but yes I wouldn't see why not. Are people on craigslist who sell guitar gear usually reliable?
3. Not really, to put it very generally I just need something with a good tone for metalcore, for example ATR and KSE. 5FDP is just a random example.
4. Never, like I said I'm a gear noob.
5. Digitech RP350, only nice feature is the clean models. Everything else is eh...
6. I don't its just the other guitarist in my band recommended one as an alternative just in case a new amp wasn't in the budget right now.
7. Mostly wah when just improvising but I'll buy a wah down the road if that's the case. No effect is a necessity for me right now. A good reverb would be nice though.

If that's the case I'll save an Orange amp for another day, if a new cab is really necessary with a new head I'd rather have that. I wouldn't know what amp and cab to get that would probably fall in the budget total of $1500 though, even the RM100 and the match cab would be a stretch.

I don't really need an MFX at all. Like I said it was just a cheaper recommendation. I'd rather just a new amp that can get a nice metalcore tone any day.

1.) Good 2x12s can be had by Mesa, Orange, Splawn, Port City, White Box, Emperor, Avatar, Vadar, Framus, Egnater, etc. PS: A 2x12 is NOT half as loud as a 4x12. They are usually closed back, punchy and great for metal. Easier to carry and cheaper too.
2.) Typically, people selling guitar gear on craigslist are honest strait up people just like you and I. There are some things you can do to ensure a good sale. Gear Classified sections like here on UG, Rig-talk, The Gear page, marshallforums, sevenstring.org, etc are even better because people often have public reputations they want to uphold. Downside is shipping costs (but no different than ebay in that regard).
3.) 5finger uses Diamond Nitrox, ATR uses 6505+, and KSE use Splawn, Diezel, Dual Recs, Framus Cobra, 5153s, etc.
4.) check them out. you can get a used Splawn Quick Rod/Nitro in the $1000 - $1400 range. Their cabs kick ass too.
5.) I used to have a RP250. 'Used' to have
6.) Yeah OK. They are cool things to have - but only if you need lots of effects or tonal changes and don't mind giving up an all tube set up.
7.) Yeah, Wah and Reverb are two things I really like too.

If I knew what your closest major city was I could check your craigslist for you or your used GC. Randall RM is a good idea - but I would only buy one if I needed that kind of versatiltiy or enjoyed experimenting with different modules (something I actually would enjoy). I guess the drawback is that the modules, although good, are still just a copy of the real thing and some complain they are not close enough.

Metalcore - to me is punchy, aggressive, responsive, quiet when needed (palm mutes), articulate (chords and chugs), and must have lots of midrange. You need midrange to cut through the rest of your band both live, in practice and for recording.

Most of those amp I listed above for those bands (6505+, Diamond, Splawn, Mesa, Framus, 5153, etc) will excel at these attributes. Settling in on a specific amp can be mind blowing. I've been there. Speaker cabs are even harder.

So, take lots of advice, listen to clips, ask questions, etc. If you get impatient you pretty much can't go wrong with something in the middle road liek a used 5150, XXX, JSX, Vypyr 120, Dual Rec, etc. Then. later, when you figure out what you really want - you sell your amp and get what you want. There will always be people that want those amps I just listed so don't be afraid. Your next amp purchase does not have to be your last.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
1.) Good 2x12s can be had by Mesa, Orange, Splawn, Port City, White Box, Emperor, Avatar, Vadar, Framus, Egnater, etc. PS: A 2x12 is NOT half as loud as a 4x12. They are usually closed back, punchy and great for metal. Easier to carry and cheaper too.
2.) Typically, people selling guitar gear on craigslist are honest strait up people just like you and I. There are some things you can do to ensure a good sale. Gear Classified sections like here on UG, Rig-talk, The Gear page, marshallforums, sevenstring.org, etc are even better because people often have public reputations they want to uphold. Downside is shipping costs (but no different than ebay in that regard).
3.) 5finger uses Diamond Nitrox, ATR uses 6505+, and KSE use Splawn, Diezel, Dual Recs, Framus Cobra, 5153s, etc.
4.) check them out. you can get a used Splawn Quick Rod/Nitro in the $1000 - $1400 range. Their cabs kick ass too.
5.) I used to have a RP250. 'Used' to have
6.) Yeah OK. They are cool things to have - but only if you need lots of effects or tonal changes and don't mind giving up an all tube set up.
7.) Yeah, Wah and Reverb are two things I really like too.

If I knew what your closest major city was I could check your craigslist for you or your used GC. Randall RM is a good idea - but I would only buy one if I needed that kind of versatiltiy or enjoyed experimenting with different modules (something I actually would enjoy). I guess the drawback is that the modules, although good, are still just a copy of the real thing and some complain they are not close enough.

Metalcore - to me is punchy, aggressive, responsive, quiet when needed (palm mutes), articulate (chords and chugs), and must have lots of midrange. You need midrange to cut through the rest of your band both live, in practice and for recording.

Most of those amp I listed above for those bands (6505+, Diamond, Splawn, Mesa, Framus, 5153, etc) will excel at these attributes. Settling in on a specific amp can be mind blowing. I've been there. Speaker cabs are even harder.

So, take lots of advice, listen to clips, ask questions, etc. If you get impatient you pretty much can't go wrong with something in the middle road liek a used 5150, XXX, JSX, Vypyr 120, Dual Rec, etc. Then. later, when you figure out what you really want - you sell your amp and get what you want. There will always be people that want those amps I just listed so don't be afraid. Your next amp purchase does not have to be your last.

Thanks man, you should get paid or something for this advice.

Just to put input on some things you said

I live in Brooklyn, NY, not willing to go very far from there unless its a deal and a half.
I would never have considered buying used or getting a 2x12 before that post. If a 2x12 really is cheaper and can still fill decent sized venues, I'm down.
Splawn amps are actually pretty awesome, more of a fan of the Nitro. Definitely am open to one of those bad boys. Out of curiosity which of those brands that make good cabs have the cheapest price but still have bang for your buck?
Me being a noob if I did get an Rm100 I wouldn't be as picky as most are. Most of the modules I've probably never heard the amp they're derived from so I wouldn't even care. So far from most demos they all seem to be great, particularly the Ultra and Treadplate.

I'm not looking to settle on an amp just find something to fit my needs for now. I might just keep it through the years and start up a collection once I get a place of my own, I just need something decent to start since I'm finally becoming an intermediate level guitarist.
Quote by Malice26
Thanks man, you should get paid or something for this advice.

thanks man. I just enjoy helping people find amps for some reason. I like to put myself in their shoes for a brief moment in time and help 'shop'.

Of those 212 cabs, Avatar and Vadar are really good cabs for the cost. Good construction, good choices, good sounding etc. My Avatar 212 was a great value for $400 new. By contrast my Splawn 212 is much nicer for $575 new. White Box is a great value I hear too.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/2745500793.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2744192540.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2744157818.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/msg/2744082666.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/msg/2730077802.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/msg/2734266287.html

Stuff to think about. I'd try to snag that Mesa Tremoverb.

Check out Rig-Talk.com as well both classifieds and the Search function to read up more on the Randall RM.
I've got a 2x12 avatar for sale for 250 right now.I know I'm too far away,just letting you see what can be found.