Hi there ug. I'm here today to help my friend find the right amp for him. I know y'all hate these threads and I'm sorry to bug y'all with it but we'd both really appreciate it. I've done soooo much research, but I feel I need some outside opinions.

The basics:

Budget:
not much. The dude's a bum. All he does is sit around, smoke weed and play guitar. But somehow he gets cash here and there to save up. I'm sure if he found something spectacular, he would get a job to pay for it.

Genres:
Ehh.. he's difficult at best when it comes to this area. He's picky and ass backwards when it comes to his music. He's a metal head. Loves lamb of god, devildriver, megadeth, dimu borgior(spelling?), things like that. Melodic death metal, thrash, heavy brutal stuff. But.. he's also in love with '80s hair metal. And industrial-ish metal/hard rock like the defiled, dope, Wednesday 13. He also loves doing metal covers of pop and rap songs. He's a lead guitarist. And if I had to narrow him down to one main style, it would probably be melodic metal. He could work around that. Also I'm pretty sure decent cleans would be preferred.

New or used. Probably used considering the budget.

Home or gig:
A bit of both. He plays by himself most of the time, but the two of us get together and play regularly, and seeing as how I just got a half stack he'll want to keep up. Also, we're consodering starting a band, so this will more than likely be an amp that has gigging capabilities.

City:He lives in crane, Texas. The most pathetic excuse for a town I've ever seen. The closest thing to a real city would he Odessa Texas. They have three little music shops. None of them TV. All of them fairly restricted in their merchandise. Midland Texas is another city that's not too far for him to look. Idk about their shops though.

Current gear:
Schecter daimen elite I think. A v shape with a bolt on neck and passive emgs. He's about to het an esp viper here in a couple of weeks somehow. His amp is some small crate practice amp.

A 6505 is out of the question apparently. I tried to sell the idea of one to him but he loaths THAT kind of music and all affiliated with it. He likes the idea of a randall. I think the et503h would be a pretty good fit, but neither of us have ever heard one in person. He found a sound clip of an egnater (renegade I think) and liked it. More or less.

So sorry for The longevity but if you read it all you deserve a medal. Thanks for any and all help.
I read it.

A bit perplexing.

Weird that he loathes the 6505+ and every band associated with it. You'd think that would be perfect for him. I know they rec'd a lot on here but a used 112 combo would probably be about $400.

But because we don't have a budget this is really hard. The Renegade head alone is $999 not including a cab. I guess tell him to save up his money and score for used amps until the stars align because that's all he can really do. The Renegade isn't really geared for heavy modern metal. The Egnater Vengeance might be worth a look. The Randall amp he is looking at is a bit under par if you ask me. I think that is the T50H? Tube 50w Head. Meh

I've got some other ideas too but I figured I'd give you a bump.

PS: How can he afford a new guitar and still be content with that crate?
Yeah he's a difficult and picky one. But he really hates "core" and doesn't want a mainstream sound. He wants something slightly original. It might have been the vengeance, I don't remember which he mentioned. I thought of the rm100 at first, but that's waayyyy out of his budget. So then I thought the rt100, and then I thought the 50w would be a little nicer on his wallet. Though I know nothing about it. I have no idea how he's paying for it but he found an esp viper, NOT ltd, for $400 at a pawn shop in his town. The owner of the shop doesnt know what he has, and there will probably never be another opportunity for my friend to find a guitar like this for that cheap, so he's taking it.

However he is still painfully aware of how bad he needs a new amp.

I'd love to hear your other ideas. I'm starting to draw a blank.
Are you in eastern texas? How far would he have to go to try a 6505+112, Vypyr 60, Jet City 50, Bugera 6260, Mustang III, Spider Valve, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Vengeance, Ampeg Vh120, Crate Blue Voodoo, Marshall TSL, Peavey XXX/JSX/Ultra, I don't know....stuff like that.
we live in the westest part of Texas. In the middle of a desert. The closest guitar center is in el passo. About four hours away. The closer music shops don't have many options.
oh crap

yeah i meant Western TX.

the farthest west in TX I've ever been was Dallas/Ft Worth - not sure why i said eastern

so basically order On line or hunt Craigslist and the various amp forum classifieds like UG/Rig-Talk/TGP/Sevenstring.org/etc
How are they tone wise? Would they do the job and do it fairly well?

I think i might just trick him into getting a 5150 or a 62XX. Probably the bugera though, since it's cheaper.

And what do you mean hard to find one new? GC won't carry it? What about the marvelous internet?
Quote by robertsanidiot
How are they tone wise? Would they do the job and do it fairly well?

I think i might just trick him into getting a 5150 or a 62XX. Probably the bugera though, since it's cheaper.

And what do you mean hard to find one new? GC won't carry it? What about the marvelous internet?

They have really good tone, some like them more than the original, some don't. Bugera is a good sounding amp company, with a bad rep from a few yrs ago.

You can find the 6260 2x12 combo for @$600 new. They are hard to find in a store, but can be found easily online on sites like zzounds.com, American Musical, Musiciansfriend, ect....

I have a 333 head (peavey XXX clone) and it is a really nice head for the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the info. I don't think my friend knows these are pretty much 6505s in disguise. If he likes the sound, I'm going to convince him to save up for it.

Also, what can anyone tell me about the trirec? It's supposed to sound like a triple recto from mesa right? That might be closer to a sound he's looking for. And it will be closer to my dual rec when we play together. Is the trirec as nice as it seems on paper?
look for a crate blue voodoo. they can be found dirt cheap, or even a black voodoo
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just found three blue voodoos on GC website for around $300. Great. Now I've got even more research to do, Haha. How are they for metal.
I was wondering about the Trirec myself just the other day while looking at Bugera's stuff on AMS. I've been waiting on them to stock the amp I ordered (JCA100HDM) and I was looking at other amps in case I would have to switch my order to fit a time schedule. Unfortunately, those aren't expected in for weeks, so my option is basically to wait, because I dislike the idea of a 6505 as well. First of all, I don't like their cleans, and second of all, too damn many bands play them now. Seeing as how the Triple Rec is one of 3 Mesas I'd buy, the Trirec peaked my interests.
I just found out bugera's new line isn't coming out until spring 2012. Of all the new amps, apparently the trirec is going to be the last to hit the shelves.

So as of now I'm still looking for options, though the trirec still peaks my interest.
try to get your hands on a crate BV120h of 150h. a lot of music stores started buying them. you can really pick em up for a steal but its a very...specific tone. to be completely honest i cant comment on the tone with the stock tubes in there because the one i got had no working tubes and i got the stock Groove tubes replaces with all JJ's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'll be out on the look for them. Thanks for the opinion. I'm pretty sure he'll like the name enough to take the idea of looking into one seriously.

However I'm not sure how available they'll be in my area.
Wait, doesn't one of the devildriver guitarist actually use a 5150 (maybe not now, but one has)? And one of the guitarists from Dimmu uses a 6505. So the whole "I hate bands that use 6505/5150's" kind of gets thrown out of the window.

Only way he's going to get what he wants is to find some of the amps and try them out. That or do a blind buy online.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I know for a fact guitarists from devildriver and dimmu use the flagship randall model.

He's just stubborn. I'm not going to try to justify or even begin to attempt to understand his reasoning. its just easier not to argue.
Galder used a 6505+ on Abrahadabra. Most guitarists use a variety of amps and change endorsements on a regular basis.

If he can't find anything in local shops, maybe start digging around youtube. 311's list is a great place to start. Maybe add in something like the carvin v3m to the list as well. If you can find a used peavey vypyr 60w tube combo for around $300, it might the best for versatility.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^

No, I think he is talking about me. People here call me 311 for short

311 the band, does not do demos - they are just a band. Their guitarist uses Diamond amps.

But yeah - look stuff up on youtube and netmusicians.org.

If you want good demos of the Vypyr 60 look up shredkev on youtube by typing in 'Vypyr 60 metal'.
Lol, sorry. I was thinking maybe. 311 was like a YouTube channel or something that did demos of amps, like monsters of high gain. Haha my bad.

But thanks for helping out. I've to quite a few options to present now. I just hope he doesn't bitch about any of them. Lol
Showed him a demo vid of a 5150 and he liked it. Then I yelled at him and told him its the same thing as a 6505. So now he's saving up for one. Idiot. Lol
Well I hope it fits his needs... and yeah /facepalm
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs