Page 1 of 2
According to the little map on MW3, it's just after dark down there.

Anyway, seeing as Ireland - as a economic power in the European and global markets is completely and utterly ****ed - my family are going to follow the seemingly endless horde of Irish people who are looking for a contingency plan and move to Kangaroo Land. Brisbane, I think.

We already have our visas sorted out and my Dad is going over to meet some of his friends and get sorted with his job over there before the rest of the family move over, and he has tickets booked for January.

So, being a 19 year old, guitar-playing Irishman who likes drinkin' and ganja shmokin', I wanna suss out the place, and I thought, 'Where else, but UG, where there are many like-minded people who actually live in Oz'.

How is Brisbane for young people? What's the craic like?
Also, what's the availability, quality and price of bud over there? I can only imagine how epic a smoke would be in the Outback, or on a nice beach.. damn... Ireland is such a hole

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I'm working off 4 hours sleep and not enough coffee. Any kind of info would be sweet, I'm just kinda seeing what things are going to be like come June / July.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

That's what you're worried about...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
That's what you're worried about...?

What else have I to worry about? Weather, jobs, cars, petrol... everything is either shit or overpriced in Ireland, and from what I hear, Australia is like some sort of promised land. Besides, it's going to suck having to leave all my friends behind. That's pretty much the only thing that will suck.
Bertolt Bretcht

To add something to this thread, the Aussie guitar gear market is crap. It's hard to come by a couple of major brands and the used market is a total bust.
West Ham United
You are leaving Ireland to come here?
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by girlgerms007
You are leaving Ireland to come here?

You don't know what Ireland is like, maaan. Why the shock?
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by King Donkey
To add something to this thread, the Aussie guitar gear market is crap. It's hard to come by a couple of major brands and the used market is a total bust.

Same in Ireland. You get some nice finds every now and then, but it's mostly terrible. I buy most of my gear online nowadays.

Quote by Diamond Dave
Ireland?

better pack your sunscreen mate, you're not gonna stand a chance

Lookin' forward to it, sick of being a milk bottle
Bertolt Bretcht

Hey KirkMetallica

I dont know which part of Brisbane you are going to be staying in but I only know about the city. Anyway their is this awesome pub on Edward st in the city called the Victory or the Vic as us Aussies call it. It has good live music most weekends, if you're looking for weed I only know about a shop called Off your tree it is in Queen street mall that sells legal weed, there are a few more pubs the downunder bar is good, its just full of backpackers, another is Gilhooleys Irish pub, Belgian beer gardens is good if you are looking for imported beers.
if you are more of a club man head to the fortitude valley.

PM me if you want to know more.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by KirkMetallica
What else have I to worry about? Weather, jobs, cars, petrol... everything is either shit or overpriced in Ireland, and from what I hear, Australia is like some sort of promised land. Besides, it's going to suck having to leave all my friends behind. That's pretty much the only thing that will suck.

Grass is always greener on the other side (hayoo).

Really though, it'll be a big change. How did your dad get your visas? I thought australia were really tough on immigrants, ironically.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Kensai Australia has always had problems with immigrants, It all started with us Aboriginals.
we never like the first immigrants to begin with anyway.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

Quote by Kensai
Grass is always greener on the other side (hayoo).

Really though, it'll be a big change. How did your dad get your visas? I thought australia were really tough on immigrants, ironically.

Ziiing!

Well we applied for a family temporary visa, which is for like 4 years, then you get to apply for citizenship. I was 18 at the time and a dependant of my Dad, so I was included under it.

Yeah, quite ironic, seeing as the Irish had a large part to play in the early days of Australia, what with the English deporting us and all.

Quote by deathdrummer
Hey KirkMetallica

I dont know which part of Brisbane you are going to be staying in but I only know about the city. Anyway their is this awesome pub on Edward st in the city called the Victory or the Vic as us Aussies call it. It has good live music most weekends, if you're looking for weed I only know about a shop called Off your tree it is in Queen street mall that sells legal weed, there are a few more pubs the downunder bar is good, its just full of backpackers, another is Gilhooleys Irish pub, Belgian beer gardens is good if you are looking for imported beers.
if you are more of a club man head to the fortitude valley.

PM me if you want to know more.

Nice one man, if I think of anything else I'll PM you
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by KirkMetallica

Oh heavens, no. Prepare to pay like 2000% more on musical instruments and related accessories, and 50% more on video games and DVDs (if you still buy them.)

The only jobs are in the major cities, or anywhere they're opening up a mine. I live in a decently sized coastal town and there's no work in any areas other than hospitality and tourism, and they all pay terribly. People tend to hang on to their office jobs and retail jobs and public service jobs. Construction comes up with varying frequency but it's always temporary.

Seeing as you're moving to Brisbane you can probably disregard that last paragraph.
You missed the boat, all the cool Irish came to Australia about 200 years ago.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
The 'craic' is good. If you are into psy/goa trance, you can find lots of good 'doofs' (bush raves, although frequented more by the hippy type rather than 'kandy kid; ravers)

Bud where i am (45 minutes north of brissy)

1.5g = $25
3g = $50
7g = $90
Its pretty easy to come buy.

Yeah, its not bad.
there's a $1000 import tax threshold SoCal, so if you keep under that price you usually won't get a letter from customs, shipping is the bitch and actually finding an online retailer that is allowed to ship overseas.

Quote by AgainstYou
You missed the boat, all the cool Irish came to Australia about 200 years ago.

nowadays it's knackers and terrorists.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Last edited by Teh Traineez0rz at Dec 9, 2011,
Also, i dont know how much booze costs in ireland (I'm from england) but booze here is alot more expensive than in england. Unless your gonna go all abbo on our asses and by goon, $10 for a gallon of wine.

Don't touch that stuff.
Quote by Owenlee55
Also, i dont know how much booze costs in ireland (I'm from england) but booze here is alot more expensive than in england. Unless your gonna go all abbo on our asses and by goon, $10 for a gallon of wine.

Don't touch that stuff.

Well that didn't take long.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Well that didn't take long.

Please explain?

The aussies will get it.

but no, i don't get what you said?
Quote by Owenlee55

Don't touch that stuff.

Goon is what makes Australia Australia. We are a nation of goon warriors first and vegemite kids second.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
mentioning goon.^^

I meant the racism.

Stereotyping Aboriginals as a bunch of alcoholics.

By the way 'abo' is as offensive to Aboriginals as 'nigger' is to Negroes.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by Owenlee55
Please explain?

The aussies will get it.

but no, i don't get what you said?

The national passtime. $14.99 a box.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
didn't take long for someone to mention goon, or maybe he was on about the word abo.

now iduno.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Butt Rayge
I meant the racism.

Yeah you tell him Butt Rayge, I am Aboriginal myself.

Quote by Butt Rayge
I meant the racism.

Lol. Also, I wouldn't consider 'abbo' to be offensive, no different than saying 'black' instead of african american r something along those lines.
Quote by Owenlee55
Lol. Also, I wouldn't consider 'abbo' to be offensive, no different than saying 'black' instead of african american r something along those lines.

But you arent aboriginal so YOU DONT GET IT !!!!!!!

Quote by deathdrummer
But you arent aboriginal so YOU DONT GET IT !!!!!!!

How is it any different from calling a caucasian person white? Explain please.
Im from the Sunshine coast (about 60-90 minutes north of Brisbane) Brisbane is just like any city, but im only guessing as I rarely take the trip, not sure how much Beer is I can't legally buy it. Be prepared for an absolute sweat fest though.

Goon is the devils piss
Quote by Owenlee55
How is it any different from calling a caucasian person white? Explain please.

you were saying 'go abo and buy $10 fine wine hurr durr.'

alcohol prices are at rape price, pretty mucha lot of shiz is but you get paid more...when you're going out can be like 7 to 10 dollars a pint.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Last edited by Teh Traineez0rz at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by OG frenchy
Im from the Sunshine coast (about 60-90 minutes north of Brisbane) Brisbane is just like any city, but im only guessing as I rarely take the trip, not sure how much Beer is I can't legally buy it. Be prepared for an absolute sweat fest though.

Goon is the devils piss

Where bouts on sunshine coast?
Quote by Owenlee55
The 'craic' is good. If you are into psy/goa trance, you can find lots of good 'doofs' (bush raves, although frequented more by the hippy type rather than 'kandy kid; ravers)

Bud where i am (45 minutes north of brissy)

1.5g = $25
3g = $50
7g = $90
Its pretty easy to come buy.

Yeah, its not bad.

Yeah I like Psy trance. Bush raves, interesting. Pretty nice prices for smoke, here it's
Au$33 for 1.5g
$66 for 3.5g
and $400 for an Ounce.

Oh, and I should mention, my mother mentioned the Gold Coast, which is a good bit south of Brisbane, so it's one of those areas.
Bertolt Bretcht

Last edited by KirkMetallica at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
you were saying 'go abo and buy $10 fine wine hurr durr.'

Have you never made a joke about an asian or black person? Or perhaps you made a muslim joke? My 'abbo wine blah' comment was no different to making any jokes about generalisations of other races/religions.
Quote by KirkMetallica
Yeah I like Psy trance. Bush raves, interesting. Pretty nice prices for smoke, here it's
Au$33 for 1.5g
$66 for 3.5g
and $400 for an Ounce.

I don't know about ireland, but when i was in england a bit ago 10 pounds (is ireland euro? i'm not sure) got me a gram of hash. The shittiest hash, soapbar and all that crap.
Quote by Owenlee55
Have you never made a joke about an asian or black person? Or perhaps you made a muslim joke? My 'abbo wine blah' comment was no different to making any jokes about generalisations of other races/religions.

plenty of times, but if someone trips out im going to admit being at fault at the very least.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by KirkMetallica
Au$33 for 1.5g
$66 for 3.5g
and $400 for an Ounce.

But yeah, bud around here seems to be good. If your used to buying strain names, pying diff prices for 'mids' or 'dank' its alot diffrent here. All prices are the same, wether it is dank stuff or some mids. Generally it seems to be consistently good though.
Page 1 of 2