hi guys,
I'm going to get a Fender Road Worn 60s Stratocaster and, being a huge John Frusciante fan, i plan on replacing the Pickups with Bare Knuckles Mothers Milk Pickups. i am also contemplating getting a Super Vee bladerunner tremolo bridge coz I've heard the it helps improve tone, sustain and tuning stability but is it really necessary or does the stock road worn bridge do the job. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if it werent for the price or the fact that i might slightly ruin the "mojo" of the guitar. do you think that its worth replacing or not? what about a set of schaller locking tuners instead? do you think that getting the BKP pups is a good idea? do you like them? ive heard great things about BKP.

sorry about the overload of questions. just doing my research.

thanks in advance.
I find that Fender tremolos do the job well enough - tuning stability will be improved by swapping tuners for locking ones, the bent steel saddles for string saver saddles, and having the nut correctly cut and lubricated. For the sustain, swapping the trem block to one made of actual steel will do wonders.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I find that Fender tremolos do the job well enough - tuning stability will be improved by swapping tuners for locking ones, the bent steel saddles for string saver saddles, and having the nut correctly cut and lubricated. For the sustain, swapping the trem block to one made of actual steel will do wonders.

would that cost more or less than a super vee? it seems like more.
Quote by itamar100
would that cost more or less than a super vee? it seems like more.

With the steel block it might well be quite expensive. With the locking tuners and string saver saddles only I think it will be less, and keep the guitar's original aesthetic and 'mojo' intact.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Properly set up, the stock trem is just fine. I would not suggest putting a super vee on unless you're really having problems with the stock trem.

If you're trying to do this on a budget, I'd just get the steel trem block. Look up the locking stringing technique, which will keep your strings nearly as tightly on the tuners as using locking tuners, and get a little graphite in the nut every time you restring. That plus a good setup should be all you need for tuning stability. I'm a big fan of locking tuners, but if you're on a budget you don't need them. They're more of a convenience than a necessity unless you've got a more modern floating trem that you're really cranking on. Plus, you can always grab a set later when you've got the cash.

The Roadworn is a good strat, it doesn't really need to be torn apart and rebuilt with more expensive parts to be a proper instrument. I would buy the guitar and the pickups and leave it at that. Planning to buy a whole bunch of parts to "improve" a guitar you don't even own yet is a good way to spend a ton of money you didn't have to.

If you're going to spend all that money on upgrading a Roadworn, you'd be better off just importing an Edwards replica of John's '59 strat.
http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/spec/e-se-118r_re.html
I don't get this whole 'choosing upgrades before you've even got the guitar' thing at all.

Bare Knuckles are fantastic, but the stock pickups on the road worn are more than good enough. What amp are you using?
Yeah get the guitar first and then see what it really needs. No point picking out upgrades before you've played/heard the guitar.

Or instead of a Road Worn consider getting a Deluxe or Classic Player model. They have better hardware and electronics than the Road Worn.
For what you want to play, I see absolutely no reason to modify your Strat.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i think ill just get the pickups then. im using a JCA5212RC with a Boss DS-2 and Boss GE-7
Quote by grohl1987
Yeah get the guitar first and then see what it really needs. No point picking out upgrades before you've played/heard the guitar.

Or instead of a Road Worn consider getting a Deluxe or Classic Player model. They have better hardware and electronics than the Road Worn.

Thats twice the money and i feel that they play worse too. plus i love the relic look.
Quote by Roc8995
Properly set up, the stock trem is just fine. I would not suggest putting a super vee on unless you're really having problems with the stock trem.

If you're trying to do this on a budget, I'd just get the steel trem block. Look up the locking stringing technique, which will keep your strings nearly as tightly on the tuners as using locking tuners, and get a little graphite in the nut every time you restring. That plus a good setup should be all you need for tuning stability. I'm a big fan of locking tuners, but if you're on a budget you don't need them. They're more of a convenience than a necessity unless you've got a more modern floating trem that you're really cranking on. Plus, you can always grab a set later when you've got the cash.

The Roadworn is a good strat, it doesn't really need to be torn apart and rebuilt with more expensive parts to be a proper instrument. I would buy the guitar and the pickups and leave it at that. Planning to buy a whole bunch of parts to "improve" a guitar you don't even own yet is a good way to spend a ton of money you didn't have to.

If you're going to spend all that money on upgrading a Roadworn, you'd be better off just importing an Edwards replica of John's '59 strat.
http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/spec/e-se-118r_re.html

thats his '62 strat
Quote by grohl1987

ive played it before.
thanks guys! i must say, its a bit of a relief having people saying that there is no need to replace the hardware coz every other time i asked people say i should - no matter what guitar im talking about. i guess they're just picky. you guys have saved me a lot of money but ill still be replacing the pickups.

P.S. the edwards guitar looks really cool but its way above my budget (my local shop sell road worns for $150-$200 less than most people).
Last edited by itamar100 at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by itamar100
thats his '62 strat

Good eye. I always mix the two up, which is embarrassing since I own one
Quote by Roc8995
Good eye. I always mix the two up, which is embarrassing since I own one

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU OWN A '62 STRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, I mean the Edwards I linked to, the Frusciante replica.

A real '62 just seemed a little too pretentious, you know?
Quote by Roc8995
No, I mean the Edwards I linked to, the Frusciante replica.

A real '62 just seemed a little too pretentious, you know?

oh..

how do you like the edwards? it looks cool. is it good?
I love it. The board is a little flatter than I like, but I was in the market for a Fender Custom shop and ended up with the Edwards instead, so that ought to tell you something. I was between the Edwards and a NoNeck CS strat. I like the Fender NoNeck a bit better than the one on the Edwards, but the Edwards could hang with almost all the Fender CS guitars I've played tonally, and cost 1/3 of what the NoNeck did.

If money were no object I'd probably have spent another year looking, played 50 more CS strats (and a bunch of Suhrs and Andersons), and found one that was really outrageously good. This is my #4 guitar, though, so I couldn't really justify spending $3000 even if it was on a better guitar. To me the sound ranks with the better half of the CS strats I've played, and I'm quite happy with that.
Heavily modified Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gretsch Black Falcon, Rice Custom hollow pine Telecaster, and the Edwards.