Sup UG?
Been awhile since I've posted. My whole guitar playing career so far has basically been like this.

Ibanez RG > OD > NS-2 > 5150 2x12 for "the brootz" ppl say. I'm still in a metal band that plays shows regularly but I want to start expanding my horizons on guitar and start picking up different styles.

Now, recently my music taste has changed and I've been listening to a lot of TOOL, A Perfect Cirlce, God Is An Astronaut etc. More mellow bands I guess you can say who just put out walls of sound textures. I'm looking for advice on which amp to get that can take a lot of pedals obviously but has a decent clean tone as well as a decent overdriven sound. Not overdriven like say my 5150 but more of a rock tone I guess. At least 2 channels and has to be loud enough for gigs unmic'd. Now on to the pedals. I'm a newb to pedals other than my OD and NS. What are some "essential" pedals to have to create different sounds? By different I mean like "eerie", kind of hard to explain. Billy from A Perfect Circle plays around with a bunch of sounds that I love.
On to the guitar! All I currently have is Ibanez RG "metal" guitars and am looking into a new guitar for my new stlye. I am fond of the Les Paul shaped bodies and would love to get one. I was thinking Agile AL-3000 or Epiphone possibly?

I live in Ontario, Canada.
Closest major city is probably Toronto.
My budget for the guitar, amp AND a couple pedals is about $1600 (CDN)
I would prefer new but am not afraid to go used.

So really I'm just looking for some input that I can use to make a good decision about my new gear. I really know nothing about lower gaing stuff/effects so any advice is good advice!

Thanks, Steve
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Last edited by DroptuneD at Dec 9, 2011,
everyones style and taste differ. thats what makes one band an originator and another a copycat. dont worry about dishing out the cash on a new amp. use the one you have, maybe just turn the gain down a bit. use what you have to your advantage. if you want inspiration on a "wall of sound" but still being mellow, theck out a british band called VERVE. they did that song "bittersweet symphony" back in the day, but here are much better songs of theirs out there.

as far as pedals go, you must have delay and reverb. ive always gotten by with the reverb on my amp, but if you wanna get a pedal, go for it. delay is a must. it helps fill in some of the holes sonically, without muddying it up. unless its too intense. chorus and flange some people say are a necessity, but i say they are fairly interchangeable. flange is sometimes too intense sounding for me. chorus is more subtle, and gives you that shimmer effect. ive always been a fan of the mxr phase 90. set it to be pretty deep, but the cycle is slow. iv always found that to be pretty hypnotic.

i would say those are the "must haves", but again, its all taste. alot of people on here think their opinion is the end all, be all, but they are also 14. find what makes your creativity go and build upon that.
Thanks for the reply. The dilemma I have here is that my 5150 doesn't switch channels, it's stuck on the lead channel and to get it fixed I would have to drive 2 hours and pay about 300 dollars. Recently I find myself looking for 2 separate channels to fool around with. I'm definitely getting a delay pedal but I'm not too sure which one is good. TBH I don't even know the difference soundwise between an analog pedal and a digi one :P
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
Thanks for the reply. The dilemma I have here is that my 5150 doesn't switch channels, it's stuck on the lead channel and to get it fixed I would have to drive 2 hours and pay about 300 dollars. Recently I find myself looking for 2 separate channels to fool around with. I'm definitely getting a delay pedal but I'm not too sure which one is good. TBH I don't even know the difference soundwise between an analog pedal and a digi one :P

if you must go out and get an amp, check out a bunch and see what suits you best. im a HUGE Mesa fan, but i know they can be a bit out of your range. maybe a Bogner?

i really dont know the difference between analog and digital myself. all i know is i have a BOSS DD1 and thats all i care about. :-)
You might want to check out the PRS "H" and PRS "C" amps. Made in America, 2 channel, Doug Sewell designed -- and they flat out ROCK!

They're too loud for my current needs, but if I were gigging they'd definitely be one of my first choices...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native