Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting an SG for christmas, now i would prefer to have p90s and
I am a lefty. I have narrowed my choice down to the two options below (any other recommendations appreciated). Does anyone have any opinions/experiences either way). Does anyone know why the Junior has a higher RRP? Or should I just go for the Epiphone g400 as neither of the below will be significantly better for the money (not p90s though and they don't do a lefy version of the 50th anniversary which makes me not like them really.)?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Junior-60s.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-60s-Tribute.aspx

Thanks

Skinny
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

President and founder member of the Squier appreciation foundation - PM me to join
I'd go with the 60's simply because I love the way a P-90 sounds at the neck. Wouldn't get a guitar without one.
I'd go with the 60's as well. Not only do you get the extra p90 but you also get an actual TOM bridge as opposed to the wraparound on the junior.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
I'd go with the 60's as well. Not only do you get the extra p90 but you also get an actual TOM bridge as opposed to the wraparound on the junior.

Didn't even notice that! The junior shouldn't even be a consideration then in my opinion.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Didn't even notice that! The junior shouldn't even be a consideration then in my opinion.

Yeah, it's a shame they still make them with wraparounds. I've been tempted to get a LP Junior but a wraparound bridge really is a turnoff. It can't be that much more expensive to slap a TOM on there, really, so it's a shame they don't.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
Yeah, it's a shame they still make them with wraparounds. I've been tempted to get a LP Junior but a wraparound bridge really is a turnoff. It can't be that much more expensive to slap a TOM on there, really, so it's a shame they don't.

A shame?? You need to do a bit of research on what a Jr is.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Strats&Cats

What's wrong with a wraparound tailpiece?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ive always thought wraparound's were pretty badass... I mean aslong as its set up right and staggard.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by Bhaok
A shame?? You need to do a bit of research on what a Jr is.

Yeah I know that's how they originally looked and all but... why fight progress? At least make another model with a TOM, they don't have to get rid of the wraparounds completely. For purists, I guess

On a somewhat related note, the Juniors are great no frills guitars. They're student models, that's their origin, and they should be priced accordingly. But as you would expect from Gibson, they're not. Pleasantly surprised to see the SG Jr was so humanely priced, though.

Quote by LZRocker
Ive always thought wraparound's were pretty badass... I mean aslong as its set up right and staggard.

Unfortunately, initial setup and QC isn't really what Gibson prides themselves on these days.

Also:
stag·gard
n.
A male red deer in its fourth year.

REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Dec 9, 2011,
If it has a tune-o-matic it is a SG not a Jr. What you want is not progress. What you want is already out there.
Bhaok

The Tribute is the better instrument overall. Everything the Junior can do, the Tribute can do. Arguably it can do them better as well. The Junior is purely for those people that swear by one-pickup designs.
Quote by Bhaok
If it has a tune-o-matic it is a SG not a Jr. What you want is not progress. What you want is already out there.

Talking about the LP though.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
Talking about the LP though.

Same difference. A slab body+ TOM= LP Special.Not a Jr.
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
Same difference. A slab body+ TOM= LP Special.Not a Jr.

A special has 2 P90's though
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
A special has 2 P90's though

Negitive. The specials have been issued with both p-90 and humbuckers. Normally pickups do not designate a guitar. The construction method such as slab vrs carved top or appointments such as inlays,binding or a satellite dish that separates one Les Paul from the other.
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
Negitive. The specials have been issued with both p-90 and humbuckers. Normally pickups do not designate a guitar. The construction method such as slab vrs carved top or appointments such as inlays,binding or a satellite dish that separates one Les Paul from the other.

Ah yes. That might be the case. But, my fine sir, the specials have never been single pickup guitars, am I correct?
REGGIE
I got the Gibson SG Special Worn Brown last week, amazing! Great clean sound and it's just a great axe. It's cheaper than the one with the p90s as well, personally I'd like an SG with P90s but don't know the worn specials. They're amazing SGs!
Gear:

Electric Guitars:
Squier Bullet Strat
Ibanez RG350MDX
Gibson SG

Acoustic Guitars:
Tanglewood Roadster

Pedals:
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic

Amp:
Vox VT40 Plus Valvetronix