Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at getting the 6505+ 112 combo. I've tried one out and love the tone. To my ears, this thing has my favorite metal tone that I've come across (save for some boutique amps that are completely unaffordable with my budget). That said, does anyone have any first hand experience that they could share? I'm potentially planning on modding it into a head because 60 watts of tube power is more than enough. Anyone got any info to share on it? This will be my first tube amp because I'm trying to step out of the Spider that I've had for waaaaaay too long due to finally having the money for a good tube amp.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
My friend bought one after playing my 5150 2x12. Honestly, it's not what I was expecting. Sounds really nothing like my 5150. I know a tube and speaker swap will definitely help out. Maybe there's something wrong with my buddies amp but it really lacks the balls of my 5150. Albeit, my 5150 was made in the USA and the 112 is made in China I believe.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
get a green rhino and a noise gate. idk how i ever thought my amp sounded good before i got the green rhino, it makes a world of difference. do you have any specific questions?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by DroptuneD
My friend bought one after playing my 5150 2x12. Honestly, it's not what I was expecting. Sounds really nothing like my 5150. I know a tube and speaker swap will definitely help out. Maybe there's something wrong with my buddies amp but it really lacks the balls of my 5150. Albeit, my 5150 was made in the USA and the 112 is made in China I believe.

the loss of ballsiness is to be expected, the 6505+ is less aggressive than a 5150. the fact that it only has one speaker doesn't help either. stock tubes in the 6505+112 are pretty lack luster too. all this together makes for a weaker sound. the green rhino helps add balls and i want an extension cab to help out with this.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I've had one for a year now so I can give you a pretty good idea. When i first got it i was really impressed especially after i added a tube screamer and a noise gate.

After a while i decided it was starting to sound shitty, cause the stock tubes had 600 hours on them and were shot. i replaced mine with rebranded mesa tubes which are generally mehh (all i could get that day without ordering) and it still sounded better than the stock tubes when it was new. Which makes me wonder just how shitty the stock tubes really are in that amp.

I just got a eminence governor speaker last week and all i can say is WOW... i have a pretty damn good tone now. If it makes you feel any better im getting a 2x12cab soon and i too will be making it into a head.

not a bad amp at all. a lot of people bash it cause its a 6505 which means you're on the 6505 bandwagon. Other people say it doesn't sound anything like a 6505, but if you change the speaker to a good speaker and swap out the tubes. It really a different amp, like taking a blanket of the amp... no matter what though its a solid upgrade from a spider.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 9, 2011,
I think it's a little crazy that you're buying a combo to turn it into a head, that's just me though.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Yeah I think I'm in a decent position because most of the hate stems from the fact that it doesn't sound exactly like the 120 watt 6505 head. I'm judging it based on its own sound alone. Yeah it sounds different, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad to me.

As for other questions, depending on how I like it, I'd be planning on throwing a Vintage 30 in it. Anyone have any experience with that? Besides that, what tubes are really going to make this scream?

Quote by RealGuitarHero
I think it's a little crazy that you're buying a combo to turn it into a head, that's just me though.

I don't think there's anything too crazy about having a 600 dollar 6505+ head instead of a 1200 dollar 6505+ head. The savings are immense, especially when considering I've got a friend who is potentially hooking me up with a good 4x12 on the cheap. I have absolutely no need for the extra power of the 120 watt 6505+. My friend and second guitarist in the band I played for has one and the thing never goes past 2 or 3 when playing with drums and a full band. I'd rather push a 60 watt 6505+ head on 5 or 6 to bring out the tubes and the tone rather than have comfort with clean headroom on an amp I'm not planning on playing cleanly through. I'll save myself the 600 dollars and buy a good cabinet if need be...
Taylor 214CE

Quote by RealGuitarHero

+1

Out of interest, on the 5150 combos are the speaker enclosures totally sealed (like a closed back cab)?
With your last response im gunna say pull the trigger and go for it. As for the v30, I put an eminence governor, which is eminence's take on the v30. It really made a huge and i mean drastic difference in the tone compared to the stock speaker.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by DroptuneD

Nope, that's just the shitty 112 combo being shitty.

TS, just save up for the head version. It's a better amp in every way. Sturdier, more reliable. Doesn't sound like crap. There is a very good reason why the combo costs half as much.

Also, when it comes to high gain amps, more headroom is always better. 60W isn't going to be any quieter than 120W, for all intents and purposes. It is going to give you lower headroom though, which will give you poweramp distortion sooner, which will make it sound even shittier than it already does.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 9, 2011,
Well TS, If you're looking to save money I'll suggest what I did in the other thread regarding the 5150 family(Jeez there has been a lot today).
Bugera 6262 and an used Avatar Cab.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Offworld92

TS, just save up for the head version. It's a better amp in every way. Sturdier, more reliable. Doesn't sound like crap. There is a very good reason why the combo costs half as much.

Also, when it comes to high gain amps, more headroom is always better. 60W isn't going to be any quieter than 120W, for all intents and purposes. It is going to give you lower headroom though, which will give you poweramp distortion sooner, which will make it sound even shittier than it already does.

You seem to make these comments every time a 6505+ 112 is discussed. Have you tried more than one of them? Maybe the one(s) you've tried were defective or something.

I've had mine for about 9 months now; I'm well past the "honeymoon" stage with it. I still get that "goosebumps" feeling from time to time from its tone, and the only upgrade I have is a TS-9. I would say it's pretty effing far from "sounding shitty." And I know shitty-sounding amps - I've owned 3 or 4 of them. If you don't like the tone of a 6505 112, that's one thing - they do have a distinct sound. But I wouldn't go around calling them trash - because they work and they work well for a lot of people.

My $.02
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I tested them extensively when I was looking to buy one. I played a bunch of different ones before I decided to buy a 5150. The 112 combo was shrill and weak (had no balls) in every comparison. It's extremely overpriced at $600, especially since the Vypyr Tube has better tone at only $450. I hate the 112 cause it gives the 6505 line a bad name.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You can buy a 6505 212 (used obviously) for less than a new 6505+ 112, which is a better amp all around (impossible to argue that). Me and a friend drove 6 hours just the other day to pick up a 212 for $375 that had a recent tube swap. I'd look for one of these and scour CL/eBay/etc for a few weeks before dropping cash on the 112

EDIT: I'm with the previous guy on the tube Vypyr statement, they do sound more like a 6505+ than the 112 does. I'm not saying the 112 is a bad amp by any means, but there are better options if you're going for that sound.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 9, 2011,
I was looking at the used market for a 212 6505 but everything I've heard is that it's almost too loud for its own good plus the thing is a monster. My other option was a 333XL head from Bugera and a 2x12 cabinet. That might prove a better choice I guess...
Taylor 214CE

i haven't played it extensively, more or less to demo at GC or something. it is a good sounding amp for the price. does it sound the same as the 120 watt head? definitely not. i would argue that nearly every amp that is in combo v. head/cab is going to be different sounding, whether better or worse (from the buyers perspective).

if you are planning your 1x12" combo to sound like the 120 head, you may be disappointed, or you may even like it better.

and a big +1 to making it in to a head down the line, its a lot of fun to build nicer head cabs, especially if you get some flamed maple veneer or something.

this is a little bit off of my experience with the amp itself, but, i have never heard a peavey branded speaker sound good [as far as guitar goes], that is why you always see the 5150 head guys with mesa cab or something. i have also seen very few companies sell an amp in that price range with decent tubes.

as far as i am concerned its a fine amp, as long as you like it. but at some point you will probably want a new speaker and tubes, and an OD is a must.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i haven't played it extensively, more or less to demo at GC or something. it is a good sounding amp for the price. does it sound the same as the 120 watt head? definitely not. i would argue that nearly every amp that is in combo v. head/cab is going to be different sounding, whether better or worse (from the buyers perspective).

if you are planning your 1x12" combo to sound like the 120 head, you may be disappointed, or you may even like it better.

and a big +1 to making it in to a head down the line, its a lot of fun to build nicer head cabs, especially if you get some flamed maple veneer or something.

this is a little bit off of my experience with the amp itself, but, i have never heard a peavey branded speaker sound good [as far as guitar goes], that is why you always see the 5150 head guys with mesa cab or something. i have also seen very few companies sell an amp in that price range with decent tubes.

as far as i am concerned its a fine amp, as long as you like it. but at some point you will probably want a new speaker and tubes, and an OD is a must.

Here's the deal. If I kept it as a combo, it'd be getting new tubes when they were needed and a Vintage 30 down the line. If I turned it into a head, it'd be getting a cab with vintage 30's and a I'd have some fun woodworking with a nice project. I like the sound of this combo. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the head as a combo but I know that... such is the nature of the beast. That said, in head form, who knows... unless there's something massively inferior about this with a speaker upgrade and good tubes to another high gain tube amp that's as affordable, I don't know why I shouldn't go with this. I was going to go Bugera but their quality and reliability have me worried...
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
Here's the deal. If I kept it as a combo, it'd be getting new tubes when they were needed and a Vintage 30 down the line. If I turned it into a head, it'd be getting a cab with vintage 30's and a I'd have some fun woodworking with a nice project. I like the sound of this combo. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the head as a combo but I know that... such is the nature of the beast. That said, in head form, who knows... unless there's something massively inferior about this with a speaker upgrade and good tubes to another high gain tube amp that's as affordable, I don't know why I shouldn't go with this. I was going to go Bugera but their quality and reliability have me worried...

i dont own a peavey, but have owned a few. as far as bugera, i dont trust them. i dont know if you were on the forums when bugeras were catching on fire, etc.

here is the reason why i like peavey. i was at a show with two guitarists having 5150 full stacks (2x12"s would have done them better, it wasn't near that big of a venue). anyways, one guy steps on a cable, boom you see the 5150 hit the ground from its position on top of the full stack (5' or whatever). i was expecting that to end the show. i was still there, and five minutes later the kid puts the peavey back up on top of the cabs. finished the show fine. after the show i walked up to that guitarist, i asked what was wrong with the amp that he got it up so fast, the only thing after the drop was wrong was that one tube needed to be reseated. there were some scratches, etc. but the damn thing still worked. i dont think a bugera would take that drop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can't see anything wrong with buying a 1x12 combo and converting it into a head if the amp doesn't exist as a head, especially if it will save money. You could make a really nice housing for it if you're skilled. Kudos to you for not being scared to do it. Just one thing. Be careful so all you have to do is slide the chassis into the new box. Make it so if you ever want to stick it back in the original cabinet it is a quick and simple task of just sliding it in and screwing in the screws.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've played them extensively as well and I don't think the 112 combo is as bad as people make them out to be. I mean, you have a Spider right now. $550 for a 112 is good deal. I also applaud you for wanting to convert it into a head. You won't be the first one. It will be a good experience as well.

The guys that complain the most about the 112 are the guys that have owned the real deal for extensive amounts of time and used to a certain tone. But - for someone upgrading from a Spider, I don't see what the problem is. That said, I do agree with the Vypyr 60 rec. I got mine for $315 used. Hella deal.

I usually agree with Offworld on stuff but dude - I think the one you played was a dud. That is totally possible based on the fact that noobs fuk with amps at guitar stores, the 112 is made in China, it is opened back, has a lower quality speaker and lower quality tubes. But for $550 - I still think it is a good deal. It has reverb and better cleans too. Plus 60w is the sweet spot imo.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've played them extensively as well and I don't think the 112 combo is as bad as people make them out to be. I mean, you have a Spider right now. $550 for a 112 is good deal. I also applaud you for wanting to convert it into a head. You won't be the first one. It will be a good experience as well.

The guys that complain the most about the 112 are the guys that have owned the real deal for extensive amounts of time and used to a certain tone. But - for someone upgrading from a Spider, I don't see what the problem is. That said, I do agree with the Vypyr 60 rec. I got mine for $315 used. Hella deal.

I usually agree with Offworld on stuff but dude - I think the one you played was a dud. That is totally possible based on the fact that noobs fuk with amps at guitar stores, the 112 is made in China, it is opened back, has a lower quality speaker and lower quality tubes. But for $550 - I still think it is a good deal. It has reverb and better cleans too. Plus 60w is the sweet spot imo.

its closed back. but i agree with what you said. its unfair to say that its a bad amp because there are better versions out there. the other versions are over double the price of the 112 and not everyone lives in places where everyone and their dog owns a 5150 that they want to sell.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
its closed back. but i agree with what you said. its unfair to say that its a bad amp because there are better versions out there. the other versions are over double the price of the 112 and not everyone lives in places where everyone and their dog owns a 5150 that they want to sell.

You are totally right.

I goofed.

For some reason I thought the space below the chassis was open. To clarify, I googled it and learned that not only is it a closed back but it is also sealed and has a Sheffield speaker.

you can see the back here
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc?esid=6505%2B112

http://www.peavey6505.com/peavey-6505-combo.htm
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 12, 2011,
Alright cool. So I've been looking on eBay and found a 5150 2x12 combo for $400 and $60 shipping. Is it worth it to look into the older 5150 combo's? Many are cheap compared to the 6505 112 combo and I assume they'll be better because they're made in USA and are the 212's. I hear they're heavy as hell though and a general pain in the ass...

EDIT: I think I'm just going to go for a 6505+ 112 and mod it into a head for the fun of modding and because I rather like its tone. That said, if I keep it as a combo, can I run it to an external cabinet without modifications? To clarify, can I just run a speaker cable from the output on the back of the 112 combo to, let's just say, a 4x12 if I wanted to as is (before I make it into a head let's say)?
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Dec 12, 2011,
Yes, there are 2 output jacks on the back and even has switchable resistance from 4,8, or 16ohms...
Alright sweet. That'll probably be what I go with. I'm still gonna try out as many amps as I can but for now, my favorite so far tone wise and the best price new is the 6505+ 112. Thanks guys!
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
Alright cool. So I've been looking on eBay and found a 5150 2x12 combo for $400 and $60 shipping. Is it worth it to look into the older 5150 combo's? Many are cheap compared to the 6505 112 combo and I assume they'll be better because they're made in USA and are the 212's. I hear they're heavy as hell though and a general pain in the ass...

It's an overall better amp, yes. The 5150/6505 combo have a slightly better clean channel the head version and the 5150 is the same thing as a 6505. And it's built like a tank weighing in at 85lbs. Any 212 combo is gonna be heavy and a pain in the ass the move around, it's just the nature of the beast.

Personally, I'd rather spend less on the 212 and have cash to retube it than buy a new 6505+ 112 with stock tubes any day. You know the 212 will last because it's already been here 20 years with a proven track record. If you like the tone of the 112 you'll love the better, less boxy tone of a 212.

Quote by surjer
Yes, there are 2 output jacks on the back and even has switchable resistance from 4,8, or 16ohms...

I dunno about the 5150 but the 6505 combo only has a 16ohm tap. I thought they were identical?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 12, 2011,
^ We just identified that the 6505+112 combo has a sealed back. I was wrong as well.

Also, it looks like the 6505+112 combo has switchable impedance:

Peavey 6505 112 60W 1x12" Tube Combo Guitar Amp Features:
60 watts (RMS)16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)5

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc?esid=6505%2B112

It is a toss up imo. It is down to personal preference. I am a pretty strong guy but the 212 combos would not be fun to lug up and down stairs for example. Get a dolly I guess. Seriously, play both and make your own decision. These kinds of things can be debated until the cows come home.
On a related note the 112 is already a bitch to go up and down narrow basement stairways. I'd either take the 112 and debate converting it to a head or take the 212 and convert it to a head right away and buy a nice cab.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Ah, apologies on the open back . I've played them in GC before but never bothered to look in the back. I thought it seemed pretty punchy and directional for being an "open back" haha
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D

I dunno about the 5150 but the 6505 combo only has a 16ohm tap. I thought they were identical?

Why would I answer if i didnt know? lol - i have this amp so yeah, it has a switch.. =) Guess I should clarify (the 6505+ 112 60watt combo)
Quote by Offworld92

+1000

TS- Look used you can get 5150/6505 heads pretty cheap used.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I'd love a head and 4x12... but do I really need it? I don't know if what I do on guitar really justifies the price tag and the hassle of such a big rig... I almost definitely won't need the volume and when I will to play my songs with my brother (drummer), I still don't think I'll take advantage of even half the power of the head versions of either the 5150 or the 6505... unless I'm missing something. I was indeed planning on making the 112 into a head for the sheer sake of modding and having fun with a nice 212 and MAYBE a 412 in the future but I wanted the flexibility if need be. Should I really spend the extra cash when I probably won't need that extra oomph? I'm just trying to work this out guys cuz I'm rather new to tube amps. I had a 40 watt Spider Bogner Valve 212 for a little but didn't like the tone that much, but I played it with my band and it kept up with my other guitarists 6505+ and Mesa 4x12 plus drums damn well (minus the oomph of low end which is to be expected with a 212 to a 412).
Taylor 214CE

Either one is fine... Theres always gunna be people that say get best thing possible. If you find a good deal on a 6505 head.. go for it, but the 112 is fine especially if you plan on modding it. changing the speakers and tubes really brings it to life.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
The issue here isn't volume, it's overall quality. That's what I'm arguing, anyway.

And like I said, more headroom = better for modern high gain.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The issue here isn't volume, it's overall quality. That's what I'm arguing, anyway.

And like I said, more headroom = better for modern high gain.

No I definitely understand with, and agree with what you are saying. But realistically, how loud or hard will I have to push the 112 6505+ before I start hearing issues regarding distortion as opposed to the full blown head? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but besides the better quality of the 6505/5150 212 combo, isn't it the same 60 watts and the same power section as the 112?
Taylor 214CE

Well, it depends on how loud you're going to be running it. Power tube distortion isn't something that just happens at a certain point, it gradually blends in the louder you run your amp.

I will admit that it's only something to worry about at full band volumes though. When I had my 5150, I never turned it up past 2. Most of the time it was a little below 1. That amp is louder than a gay man's wardrobe.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Flux'D

Peavey did something odd with the 212 combos. If you use the onboard speakers, you can only use 16ohm for the extension output. If you disconnect the internals, the external can take 4/8/16 IIRC. I've disconnected the internals on mine and use an 8ohm mesa 4x12 rectifier cab.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^ I don't know if that is 'odd' - I mean it makes sense. You have to balance the load. If the two speakers together equal a 16 ohm load and you want to use an extension cab the logical thing to use would be a 16 ohm extension cab (as that happens to be what is most common). Then the amp takes both of these 16 ohm loads and sees them in parallel for 8 ohms overall total impedance.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Well the manual for the 212 is a little ummm vague

When connecting the amplifier to the speaker enclosure, make sure to set the impedance selector switch on the rear of the unit to the impedance that matches your enclosure. When two enclosures of equal impedance are used, set the switch to one half the impedance of one enclosure (e.g. for two 16 ohm enclosures, set switch to 8 ohms; for two 8 ohm enclosures, set switch to 4 ohms). The 6505 212 is designed to operate into a minimum of 4 ohms.

The fact that the amp doesn't even have a switch is a headscratcher. In another spot, the manual says 16/8 ohms, but that section says it will work with a 4 ohm load.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
All good points Darth. I've heard that the manual for the 212 is a joke and has some other misprints as well. To get definitive answers I'd post on the peavey.com forums and wait for a moderator to confirm or simply send Peavey an email.
Page 1 of 2