Hey

I'm still looking for a new guitar. I change tunings alot from D standard to drop C like a few times a day. I've never owned a guitar with floyd rose but I think I would like to have one.

Jackson SLSMG looks pretty sick for the price, I'm crazy about the ebony fretboard, but Charvels got the floyd rose. I don't know if I should treat it as a bug or feature, now I own a very cheap ibanez with not-really-stable tremolo. I'd really like to try the floyd but I just don't know if its worth it.

Shall I go for Charvel and use tremol-no for changing tunings or screw it and get the Jackson?

Or perhaps a seven string would be better? I've never really played any for more than 5 minutes. My band's songs are like 50% in drop c and 50% in D std and I don't know if I'll utilize the seven string in its full potential.

I've considered many guitars including LTD's, Schecters and all that stuff up to 1k$ but I'm not really convinced about guitars made in outside Japan.
Last edited by MvAgusta at Dec 9, 2011,
If you need to change tunings a lot, stay away from the floyd. Floyd Rose trems are pretty much for people who 1.) stay in one tuning and 2.) Plan on using it fairly often.
Hey men

I kind of had the same problem. I wanted a guitar like the ones you want, but I used 4 tunings in every-day basis. I thought I could be happy with one. HUGE MISTAKE!!!

Floyd Rose are cool and all but I think they are very uncool for guys like us. You could trick it with a trem-no and a Eddie Van Halen D-tuna thing. But If i were you I would go for either a 2 pointed trem (if you want to dive bomb) or a fix bridge. I actually use a Fender Strat with EMGs and it's been great for dropping my strings and having a nice tremolo
Charvel install their Floyd Roses dive-only, so you don't need a tremol-no and you can down tune them without changing set up. But remember that means you can't pull the bridge up and the dive action is a little stiffer.
^ nah they set them to float, though you're right, you can set them for dive-only, which might be worth considering.

if ebony is a deal-breaker, most of the charvel wildcards had ebony boards. the most recent wildcard has an emg, too, but no neck pickup.

regarding the charvel versus that jackson... it's basically whether you prefer bolt-on on neck-thru. also price might play a part, if one is noticeably more expensive, the other might make more sense.

of course you can always go with the tried-and-tested "whichever you like more", which works too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Theres discount on SLSMG in my country biggest shop but I'm worried about the "super light weight" thing. The best guitar I've ever played weighed around 5 kilograms while these jacksons seem to be even less than 3.

Will it make a noticable diffrence in sustain or something? I won't have an opportunity to try it before buying
Quote by MvAgusta

Will it make a noticable diffrence in sustain or something? I won't have an opportunity to try it before buying

You're willing to spend that amount of money on a guitar you can't even play before buying it? I would never do that. I'm very picky when it comes to neck profiles, size of fretwire etc. If you are too, you're taking a big gamble. Particularly with the money that's at stake.

As for weight, its a preference thing again. I like guitars that are fairly light. Generally guitars that are heavier will have more sustain, but that isn't always the case. Weight isn't an accurate way to 'gauge' the amount of sustain a guitar has.

Its a case of: The size doesn't necessarily matter, its how you use it.

What is more important is the resonance of the timbers rather than the mass of the timbers.

The only thing that can be said for certain is that fixed bridge guitars generally have more sustain than something with a trem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 14, 2011,
^+1 (apart from buying without trying, i do that all the time )

Quote by MvAgusta
Theres discount on SLSMG in my country biggest shop but I'm worried about the "super light weight" thing. The best guitar I've ever played weighed around 5 kilograms while these jacksons seem to be even less than 3.

it really depends. in my experience/opinion there seems to be a sweet spot- anything too light or heavy doesn't seem to sound as good. around 7-8 pounds seems to be the sweet spot. that's just me, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an SLSMG, and I LOVE IT. Even with the shitty EMG HZs still in it, it plays like none other. Since you say you change tunings a lot, the floyd is going to be a total bitch to deal with. I used to take my SLSMG from Drop C# to Drop B fairly often with no problems, so thats a definite perk.
NOPE