In the last time i noticed that i am starting to play electrical guitar only with upper 3 (bass) strings. It am concerned that i am turning in to a half bass player . I dont want that, but thats what´s comming out of me. I always play some rock, punk, metal, blues riffs and nothing else & allways with E,A,D strings. How should i change my way of playing?
Quote by kitarmen
In the last time i noticed that i am starting to play electrical guitar only with upper 3 (bass) strings. It am concerned that i am turning in to a half bass player . I dont want that, but thats what´s comming out of me.

Urrrrgh, you're mutating!
I'd say a great start would be to learn some full chords. It sounds like you're relying a lot on bar/power chords, which greatly limit your range.

Find a rock song that might sound decent on an acoustic, for instance. Try to transcribe it to full major/minor chords (as appropriate) to help get you more familiar with G through high E.

Other than that, keep learning other songs that you like to listen to. Learning rhythm is fun, but can also be incredibly easy. Try to learn some of the lead parts in these songs instead.

EDIT: The bottom line to getting better at any instrument is to constantly push yourself out of your current comfort zone. If it feels uncomfortable, but you know the result will be rewarding, then go for it.

(uh oh, did I just set myself up for a crude joke?)
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Dec 9, 2011,
You could always just drop your guitar down to B and pass off a metalcore band . . . . :'D
Blues licks on the low 3 strings?
That's interesting...
Anyways, there is no reason to change something you like, unless you think it's a huge problem or something. I guess you could try to not feel limited and imagine a cool lick or riff b eing played across more strings. After a whilke it feels natural and you wont be able to stop :p
Go get yourself a cheap bass and record your riffs then play your guitar over it & forcing yourself to use the G, B, e stings
Experiment more or learn songs that use the E, B, and G string more.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Lead guitar is primarily on the treble strings?
Learn some pentatonic/blues piss easy licks?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
You are screwed, you are mutating like me.

I noticed i only play guitar with the low E string!!

I dont want to turn into a flute/24 notes piano player !

how do i fix it!!?? i see no solution!!
the other 5 strings are there but they look so intimidating! please help!!
How do i tackle this problem ? i have tought about it and there is no solution!

The other strings are there and i want to use them, but i dont use them... should i ****ing use the other strings, it is so confusing, what would happen if i were to know.. pick them and then fret a note on the higher strings? i hope this thread sheds some light into this obscure and hard problem.

*Ends being a dick*

All the strings have the same notes, transpose the positions, play with the other friggin strings.

Start learning scales and use notes on all strings.

Play chords that use the other strings..

Put some effort and tought into playing FFS.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 10, 2011,
i usualy play those strings and not allways. the reason is that i suck in 1,2,3 strings. Usualy i use power chords, or chords with open E or A string. I also noticed that i allmost allways come to the same rhythm. I am able to play normal beginer 6 strings chords but they are not interesting (booring).
Quote by kitarmen
i usualy play those strings and not allways. the reason is that i suck in 1,2,3 strings. Usualy i use power chords, or chords with open E or A string. I also noticed that i allmost allways come to the same rhythm. I am able to play normal beginer 6 strings chords but they are not interesting (booring).

Ok, so you suck on those strings, what are you gonna do about it ?

Practice 80% of the time only on those strings and the rest on all strings, till you suck equally on all strings, thats what i do, i try to suck equally on all departments
Try to play rhythm without power chords. Play high-pitched solos.
I recommend you learn Tom Sawyer by Rush (at least solo). It isn't hard in technique (but sorta hard in rhythm) and it will make you play on higher strings.

Oh, and if you don't like "normal" chords - then you just can't do them. Experiment with the way you right hand moves. Emphasize certain higher or lower strings, do different rhythms. Just experiment.