i've had my 6505+ for 8-9 months now and i'm ready for some new tubes. i was thinking 4 jj ecc83s's with high gain testing and 1 with matched and balanced triodes for the phase inverter spot. and i was gonna get jj 6l6gcs for the power section but idk if i should get them burned in or not.
i'm not dead set on these tubes so if you have better ideas let me know
also i'm looking at tubes on tubedepot.com but if one of you knows a better or cheaper site to order from don't keep it a secret.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
JJ's are good tubes. You should be fine. I don't get to hung up on 'balanced' and 'matched' and 'high gain' preamp tubes. Now power tubes - it is very important to get matched power tubes. 'Burned in' power tubes seems a bit like snake oil to me. If the power tubes are matched then the distributor took the time to put them in a tester and group tubes that had similar variables.

here are some of my favorites:

www.dougstubes.com
www.valvequeen.com
www.eurotubes.com (they only sell JJs so)
www.thetubestore.com
www.tubedepot.com

hope that helps a bit

if you have some extra cash look at NOS Jan Phillips 5751 for preamp (V1 or PI) and SED =C= for power. Otherwise, JJs are good tubes. Dark, but good. I love mine.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2011,
I'd recommend The Tube Store. Never let me down before. You'll have to bias your amp though since your changing power tubes.
I just retuned mine with the JJ gold pin kit from eurotubes and it was a great upgrade. High gain kit is not necessary for this amp. Both channels sound fantastic without the high gain option. The kit comes with balanced phase inverter. Good luck!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
FYI, your amp is fixed bias unless you dig in and mod it. No need to bias if only swapping brands.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
"retubed" not retuned, autocorrect doesn't play guitar...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Strats&Cats
I'd recommend The Tube Store. Never let me down before. You'll have to bias your amp though since your changing power tubes.

This amp has a non-adjustable fixed bias. You don't need to bias it. It is similar to a cathode biased amp like the original 6505. Again, no manual bias necessary. You would have to modify the amp (to fixed) in order to do that. Fixed bias means you have to manually 'fix' the bias yourself.

Quote by dkunick
FYI, your amp is fixed bias unless you dig in and mod it. No need to bias if only swapping brands.

This amp has a non-adjustable fixed bias. You don't need to bias it correct. It is similar to a cathode biased amp like the original 6505. Again, no manual bias necessary. You would have to modify the amp (to fixed) in order to do that, correct. Fixed bias means you have to manually 'fix' the bias yourself.
Dept of Redundancy Dept. BTW, if I used the incorrect term, which was the answer from Peavey themselves, I stand corrected. But I think we're in agreement that no adjustment is necessary.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
^ sorry if I offended you.

Show me where Peavey says these amps are fixed adjustable bias. Admittedly, I don't hang out on their web site too much. Admittedly, the terms get easily misunderstood and misused. My answer came from a moderator on the Peavey forums. Honestly, I assumed it was Cathode biased so I'm glad i checked.

Either way, you said it was fixed and he said you had to bias the amp, so for the casual reader - it is possible someone could have gone off on a tailspin trying to learn what they needed to do next to "bias their fixed bias amp".

Just trying to clarify and I did add the word 'correct' in my response for you.
5150 are biased cold anyways, that's why they sound so ****ing evil. Meaning you surely won't break anything.

Just stick em in and see what happens.
Quote by dkunick
I just retuned mine with the JJ gold pin kit from eurotubes and it was a great upgrade. High gain kit is not necessary for this amp. Both channels sound fantastic without the high gain option. The kit comes with balanced phase inverter. Good luck!

you think its worth getting the gold kit? is the difference in sound that noticeable compared to the other kits?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I emailed Peavey support to ask about retubing the amp and they replied that it was "fixed bias" so no adjustment was necessary. I wasn't offended by your reply, it's all good discussion. As for the gold pin set, there is likely no noticeable difference. I asked JJ about the high gain kit and they said it wasn't really necessary with such an already high gain amp. So I just opted for the gold pins over the std set as a matter of preference. If you swap the tubes ensure you get some contact cleaner spray and hit the leads with it before inserting. I also worked mine in and out a couple times to ensure a good connection. They sound great. JJ tubes come stock in the EVH 5153 btw. There may be better, but for the price and the great customer service you can't go wrong with the JJs (former Tesla factory).
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
I emailed Peavey support to ask about retubing the amp and they replied that it was "fixed bias" so no adjustment was necessary. I wasn't offended by your reply, it's all good discussion. As for the gold pin set, there is likely no noticeable difference. I asked JJ about the high gain kit and they said it wasn't really necessary with such an already high gain amp. So I just opted for the gold pins over the std set as a matter of preference. If you swap the tubes ensure you get some contact cleaner spray and hit the leads with it before inserting. I also worked mine in and out a couple times to ensure a good connection. They sound great. JJ tubes come stock in the EVH 5153 btw. There may be better, but for the price and the great customer service you can't go wrong with the JJs (former Tesla factory).

i'm not wanting to add more gain, my pre knob is on 2 right now from what i understand the high gain kit would help with maintaining definition. if thats not true i'll probably just order the standard kit.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Not sure, but ask the folks at eurotubes, they're great and quick to respond. If you opt for the HG set let us know how she sounds!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro