I've got an old Dave Mustaine V that I wanna customize the heck out of. Planning on new pickups, re-shaping the headstock, and re-painting. I want to take the original finish off and put a new one on. Should I sand, use a heat gun, or use a chemical stripper? I should mention that I've never re-painted a guitar before, so what would be the safest or easiest of these methods to use for the first time? Of course, i'm not going to try my first time on the guitar. I'll probably practice on some painted wood beforehand. I just wanna know how I should go about refinishing the guitar.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Just sand it down, it'll be fine. Sanding's pretty hard to screw up.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Paint over paint????
Simply sand enuff to even the surface, remove whatever wax or gloss is in evidence and prime from there. The previous finish is the best base you could have. That old finish (if intact and sound!) is one helluva lot easier to get smooth than taking the finish off entirely to raw wood and starting from scratch (literally! )

Now, if yer talking laquer or stained finishes for new, it's a different horse altogether
Just gonna put a new color on and possibly put some graphics to it as well. I can paint, but my only experience is on canvas. haha. Yeah I've never re-finished anything, much less a guitar...
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT