Amp keeps cutting out almost exactly around 30 seconds after it is taken out of stand by. i was playing for 20 min than this started happening. It is a complete volume loss, but if i flick it to stand by just long enough for the hum to fade away and flick it back i get another 30 seconds before it does it again.

What could be causing this? its 6505+ combo with approximately 750 hours on it. Power tubes were replaced at 600 hours and i put a new speaker in it last week. i didn't remember to switch the selector from 16 ohms to 8ohms for the first hour i had the speaker (also managed to leave the stove on for 2 hours today) but i have put at least 10 hours on it since than and had no other problems.

Also the glowing peavey logo stopped illuminating about 3-4 weeks ago, once and awhile it will flicker on and off. i figured its just a shitty chinese LED but could this be indicating a larger problem?
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 9, 2011,
Well I had a bass amp that did something similar and in my naivety our solution was to kick it. Ultimately we found there was some lose wiring and transformer issues.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Update: its not cable or guitar related, I took everything out of the loop, just a guitar straight into the input. Checked to make sure all the tubes were seated properly, removed the chassis of the amp. I looked for leaky caps, checked the fuse, and checked all connections.

It happens after the amp heats up. i let it cool down 3 times and each time between 20-30 minutes it starts to happen. It doesn't seem like it is overheating.

Power tubes are still fairly new but they are re-branded mesa's so they're not anything special. still on stock preamp tubes.

EDIT: after research volume loss/cutting out it seems as if my preamp tubes may be the culprit of this problem.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 9, 2011,
Bump, Please any opinions before i go out and spend $70 on preamp tubes.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
buy 1 or 2 preamp tubes and start swapping them 1 at a time untill the problem goes away.

You may have very well damaged your OT running 16 ohms into an 8ohm speaker.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
buy 1 or 2 preamp tubes and start swapping them 1 at a time untill the problem goes away.

You may have very well damaged your OT running 16 ohms into an 8ohm speaker.

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do, also going to buy a pair of power tubes. Just to rule out the power section of the amp. The tone gets really muddy right before it starts doing it, so I'm hoping its tube related.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
for anybody having this problem. it was the effects loop jack, when i have a patch cable going from send to receive its fine. But i get volume drops when theres nothing in the loop.

I'm thinking that maybe the internal bypass on the fx loop jacks are dirty. not sure how to go about cleaning them, going to use contact cleaner on the cable ends and work the jacks and see if it works.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 10, 2011,