Poll: 35mm film or digital?
Poll Options
View poll results: 35mm film or digital?
35mm film
16 32%
digital
15 30%
wut.
19 38%
Voters: 50.
Which do you prefer? The movie theater near where I live just went digital, and a bunch of people are complaining.
I like the warmness of films shot in 35mm, kind of like the snaps and hisses from vinyl.

But it doesn't work for every film, especially recent ones, so I'm indifferent.
wut

didn't even know there were different types
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Dec 9, 2011,
I prefer digital, one of the things that really annoys me about a lot of movie theaters is I can't completely enjoy the movie because it looks like crap. Why would I pay the price of at least the bluray DVD for something so horrible looking?

All opinion of course.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Dec 9, 2011,
If I had to pick I'd say 35mm because I'm old school. I shoot both in 35mm and with my dSLR. Why make yourself choose?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Multi choice ftw

DSLR with both is the best.

Also i take it the 'wut' option is the 'both' option >_>
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Dunno... when I'm in theaters, I mostly can't notice the difference.

However, when I use 35mm in my camera it feels so much better for b&w pics than digital (convert them properly, you can play with the histogram, no romance)

but I like my dslr ALOT too... If I had to choose to shoot pics for the rest of my life analog or digital I wouldn't be able to choose, both have their benefits
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Being a projectionist at a theater that has gone fully digital I have given a lot of thought to this and I've decided that, for me, it depends on the film I am watching. If I want to watch Avatar or any other money-shot happy Action/Sci-Fi/Fantasy type of film digital is THE way to go. The CGI effect look crisper and the detail on the large screen is magnified immensely. However if I am watching a classic film, or anything really expressionistic I would prefer to watch it on 35mm (not too long ago I went to another theater to watch Midnight in Paris and was happy it was on 35mm). Unfortunately Digitized theaters have changed the game in more than picture quality and will son probably become more commercially viable for just about everyone in the business (filming, print making, running the theater on lower staff etc. etc. etc.) much like the music business and 35mm is probably going to become something quite like vinyl: niche.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
Personally I use a Mamiya 645, and a pentax k1000. Film IS FAR superior to the average digital camera, especially medium format films. They just blow most £3000+ cameras out of the water.
I don't know the difference.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by grimms
Personally I use a Mamiya 645, and a pentax k1000. Film IS FAR superior to the average digital camera, especially medium format films. They just blow most £3000+ cameras out of the water.

not if you're using colour film, but that's just my opinion
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
no real cares for film. Shooting, I usually do dslr set to RAW and just edit. I do love my 35mm slr tho
Quote by TimTheWizard
not if you're using colour film, but that's just my opinion

This is true, i didnt mention my b/w preference :p
there's a cool theater here in New Jersey that does 35 mm films. I haven't gotten the chance to go yet, but hopefully i'm gonna see Dirty Work in February.

mostly they've screened old horror movies and stuff. Halloween, Basket Case, Maniac. those are the only ones i can think of at the moment.

any way, it's in Metuchen, NJ if anyone in the areas interested. oh yeah, and it's called The Forum Theatre.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Kensai
If I had to pick I'd say 35mm because I'm old school. I shoot both in 35mm and with my dSLR. Why make yourself choose?

^^This^^
I've never noticed the difference in the cinemas though
35mm.

I like the clicking of the projector in the back, the spots on the film, and the projectionist adjusting it before the movie comes on. It's a completely different experience.

Digital is just like watching a movie on a TV. I can do that at home.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
IMAX 3D Dig or gtfo
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I really prefer 35mm, but that's provided the transfer is good. Otherwise it loses a lot of the elements that make it look so great.

If you want your film to have a lo-fi look, shoot on 16mm, or if you can still find NOS Super 8 film with sound (since they stopped making it quite a while ago), Super 8. Unless you want to overdub sound if it's a music video or something, or if you want to make a silent film.

I do like the really modern look HD video has, but it needs to be done by people who know how to shoot digital or else it'll look like shit. It also needs a lot of post-production processing to make it look really nice. A great example of really badly done HD video is the first series of Torchwood. Ugh.

Also, black and white is much, much better on film. I like a really high-contrast look, like in π or Eraserhead or Tetsuo: The Iron Man. I believe all three of those were shot in 16mm, which naturally means the picture is even grainier and all nice and gritty and industrial.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Dec 10, 2011,
In terms of photography, I prefer digital, but a lot of my heroes use film. However, I'm somewhat obsessive about good composition, so I have to be certain it's right.

In terms of movies, film and digital are both good, but a lot of films still use 35mm despite how available digital is.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
^ So compose your shot before you shoot rather than trying to incrementally get it right by staring at your camera back, you lazy bastard

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Multi choice ftw

DSLR with both is the best.

Unless you're shooting a medium or large format body with interchangeable backs, that's not possible.

As far as personal choice, film has better dynamic range than digital. I prefer the source to be actual film. Reproduction, though, I don't really care about. Going to the movies is overrated anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ So compose your shot before you shoot rather than trying to incrementally get it right by staring at your camera back, you lazy bastard

I do compose them, and with a tripod, but it's more to do with OCD than anything else. I compose well, and often with a tripod, but verticals have to be exactly in line with the edge of the frame or I reshoot. It has improved my compositional skills, though
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by mystical_1
IMAX 3D Dig or gtfo

3D is a retarded gimmick. it adds absolutely nothing to a movie. in fact, i can't think of a good one that's been available in 3D.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Banjocal
I do compose them, and with a tripod, but it's more to do with OCD than anything else. I compose well, and often with a tripod, but verticals have to be exactly in line with the edge of the frame or I reshoot. It has improved my compositional skills, though

Do you shoot with a 100% viewfinder? I hate when I can't do exactly what you're talking about because all my cameras are around 95% coverage.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Do you shoot with a 100% viewfinder? I hate when I can't do exactly what you're talking about because all my cameras are around 95% coverage.

95%, but I can live with it. You got a Flickr?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by element4433
35mm.

I like the clicking of the projector in the back, the spots on the film, and the projectionist adjusting it before the movie comes on. It's a completely different experience.

In the industry, we call those cigarette burns.
Whichever one looks better. I like IMAX. Why would I pay to go see a movie when I could have it look better on my TV at home.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...