I recently bought a peavey 6505+ 112 and I think its dandy. Problem is, depending on where the pickups are facing, there is a horrendous buzzing that goes from super loud, to barely noticeable. The 'sweet spot' seems to move, but regardless, its a small spot and I cant spend my entire play time not moving.

I tried unplugging all the pedals and I tried plugging just the guitar into the amp; its definitely the guitar (which is an ESP LTD EC-1000). I figure the active pickups don't help, or maybe that's not it.

Anyway, if I can provide anymore information i'll do my best. Thanks!
Its probably the unbalanced guitar cables picking up frequencies from the air, like AC, lights, and other electronic stuff. Depending on where your pickups are and which way they are facing, the pickups can intercept different things. Just my guess
I don't know the specs of this guitar, but you could get the pickups (wax) potted and shield the scratchplate, that should already help alot if it isn't done
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
It's feedback. A noise gate can help (the 6505 is a noisy mother****er) but the real problem is probably the shielding (or lack there of) underneath the pickups and inside the control cavity of the guitar. Guitar companies do a HORRIBLE job of shielding electronics, even on their top of the line guitars. Take it to a tech and have them cover the cavity in a few coats of anti-conductive paint, and then shield the covers with copper shielding. Also, get a good instrument cable, something that is shielded and braided if possible. Dimarzio makes some really good ones.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i was under the impression that if a problem like this arises, its a grounding issue more so than shielding in this case since he's got active EMGs in his guitar. mine doesn't have this problem (i've played with a 6505 many times) so dont bother buying a noise gate until you get this issue fixed.

i'm not 100% about this however. i would start by opening everything up and checking for loose connections. if you dont find anything, i would just take it in. it could be a faulty pickup.
One small item to also consider -- have you tried a new battery?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I've opened it up before, but honestly I don't know what to look for. The back plate appears to have some kind of metallic sheath (probably bad word), but that's it. I'm using a Mogami cable so I don't think that's the problem.

As for taking it to a tech, there are two options. Guitar center and a local shop. I refuse to go back to the local shop because of the terrible service both I and my friends have received. I don't know if guitar center can do it/if they can do it well. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how.

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but would putting some tinfoil in there be a temp fix? And I could try a new battery, but I'm curious how it would help.
i doubt you're getting feedback from a low battery. right before mine goes, i have a hell of a time getting any output from the pickups, so that suggestion seems a little odd to me. give it a shot though if you have an extra lying around.

here's my next few suggestions before you take it in.
1. try a different power plug for the amp. something may be wonky there. i HIGHLY doubt this is the issue, but it solved an issue i used to have due to bad grounding i'm assuming.
2. try taking your guitar and amp into a different room. you may be getting too much electrical interference in your current room causing this issue. if the issue goes away, or is decreased in the new room, then you know its the original room is the problem and dont play there anymore.
3. try a new patch chord. just because its mogami doesn't mean it can't be broken or have a factory flaw. if you have a spare one, try using it. if not, borrow one or buy a new one just to see.
4. as for my earlier suggestion of checking everything, it should be rather obvious is something is lose or not secured well. a light pull (more like a wiggle) on the wire should have it staying there. if anything moves, thats your weak point.

if all these options fail, check back with us

(also, have you tried the amp with another guitar...?)
(have you tried the guitar with another amp?)
Last edited by User_Name336 at Dec 10, 2011,