I'm looking hard at the PRS Santana SE but I've always thought it was kinda hokey to buy a signature model guitar. Might be kind of ridiculous.

What say you?
Perfectly fine. In some cases (not this one) you will pay a little extra for the name.
Im hurting for a pgm pretty badly, also would love Kirks whitewashed ouija.
Alot of people hate sigs, but they're dumb.
Seriously how many ppl play Les Pauls sig? Basically.
Santana is a beast too, no one will argue about a santana sig.
I tend to have trouble buying sig guitars simply because I don't want someone else's name on my instrument, no matter how famous they are. The SE Santana is a little more expensive than the standard SEs but it's also prettier with that flamed veneer and maple cap. I also believe it has upgraded pups.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't see it as a problem, if you want the guitar you want the guitar. Hell I play drums as well and I want to get Chris Adler's signature snare, but it's discontinued unfortunately. Although keep in mind that signature guitars are almost never exactly what said musician is really playing, they will generally have something different since most have their guitars custom made and one-off.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Sometimes it's stupid. Like when you're paying a shit ton more for the same guitar with someones name on it and twirly lines on the fretboard but other times, it's so awesome(has nothing to do with the name of the artist).
If it feels good, sounds good, and can do what I want, I don't give a shit whose name is on it, it's gonna be mine. I can always refinish it or refinish the area that has someone else's name on it.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
generally I wouldn't. really it varies company to company. I'd never buy the LTD signatures, but that's just me

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quality parts and usually look good, downside is how much you actually have to spend.

Personally I prefer to just to customize the guitar from the ground up, find a body that fits you well with good length and fret size and just swap out the parts to your taste. It's cheaper and you are in total control of the process start to finish.

That being said, if the Sig isn't that much more expensive then a regular go for it.
i tend to shy away from most sig models, but i do like the santana SE, and (as much as i hate him,) chad krouger's signature blackwater les paul is one of my favorites. (heheh its a double signature guitar XD)

if you like a guitar then go for it.
Well let me give you a little lesson.... i own a fender american tele, and people tell me... " oh but you cant play stevie ray vaughan on that, he had a strat!!!!!" And i'm like.. so what?

With a nice EQ and compressor i can get the very same sound on my tele as stevie... So regarding the signature models... Dont think you can play santana just because you got the santana PRS, in fact it would kinda limit you in playing other styles since it is made to sound LIKE santana, dont think you get a santana guitar, and dont think you will get the dynamics he uses..

Dont get fooled by the "santana guitar, you can play santana in 3 hours, we make you rich in a day etcetera".
Like others have said, if you want it, you want it. There's nothing really wrong with buying them, it's just down to individual taste. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of them. Some are more sensible than others, but some sig' models are just plain hideous. Especially when you consider some of the prices next to standard models.

Saying that, I have played a Santana SE in a store quite recently, it was actually a pretty nice guitar. It wasn't worth the £800-and-something they were asking for it though, in my opinion. I have no idea what they are else where, but that seemed pretty steep.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by Darkdevil725
Signature models are over rated.

I take it you never played a Music Man John Petrucci model?

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Carl6661
Like others have said, if you want it, you want it. There's nothing really wrong with buying them, it's just down to individual taste. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of them. Some are more sensible than others, but some sig' models are just plain hideous. Especially when you consider some of the prices next to standard models.

Saying that, I have played a Santana SE in a store quite recently, it was actually a pretty nice guitar. It wasn't worth the £800-and-something they were asking for it though, in my opinion. I have no idea what they are else where, but that seemed pretty steep.

I guess that is the whole idea... take a mediocre guitar, call it santana sig and ask some hidous amount of dollars for it.
Nothing wrong with playing a Santana model. It's not like it's a Synyster Gates or Zacky Vengeance guitar.
Quote by griffin888
Nothing wrong with playing a Santana model. It's not like it's a Synyster Gates or Zacky Vengeance guitar.

Try playing synyster gates on your PRS Satana... have fun at it :P Seriously wont work.
totally depends on the guitar to me. i can't really see getting a sig Les Paul or Strat for instance as chances are you can just make a mod or two to a regular one and get the same sound as a sig. version. if the guitar actually is unique like say a brian may sig then fine maybe you can forge your own path with it.
Quote by B&J
Try playing synyster gates on your PRS Satana... have fun at it :P Seriously wont work.

I was making fun of their sig models.
If it has the features you want, why not? (unless it costs more than it should just because of the name on it)
PRS SE Singlecut w/Seymour Duncans
Epiphone LP plus-top
Ibanez SZ320

Peavey Valveking 100 half-stack
Egnater Tweaker 15

Peavey Millenium BXP 4-string
i am playing a Dave Navarro Prs SE......and it is an amazing guitar for a good price (500us$)

i dont see any problem with it being a signature....if the guitar has the features you want and plays well and you want it.....

then by all means get it...
I haz gotten gud
If the guitar has the specs you want at the right price I see no reason not to buy one. Just saying signature guitars are 'overated' isn't a reason not to buy one, I mean even some big name artists use other artist's signature models so the guitars have to be of some quality.
I have four signature models, so I think I'm okay with it.

I guess I just don't care what other people are playing - if it makes them happy, so be it. What business is it of mine?
If it looks, feels, and sounds the way you want then that's all that should matter. I have a PRS paul allender SE and I don't like nor have I ever liked cradle of filth or paul allender as a guitarist.
The answer to the question, "Why are you buying a signature guitar?" is pretty much all that determines if it's worth it or not.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
If it has something that I like that I can't get on another guitar then yeah. Some sig models I would like are:

Slash Les Paul. Dat neck.
BB King Lucille. Dat phase shifter knob thing.
Lee Renaldo Jazzmaster. Wide range pickups and blue paint job.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
If you want the guitar, go for it. As long as you're buying it because it's got the features, feel, and specs you're looking for and not because "omg it's got so-and-so's name on it, it's gonna make me just as good as him!".

When you think about it, aren't all Les Pauls technically signature models? I'm sure many more people on here associate that name with the guitar than with the jazz musician.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Dec 9, 2011,
I think Sigs are cool and everything, especially the Kurt Cobain sig Jag, I played that a while ago. It was really neat. Only problem is that I play guitar I want my tone to my tone, not someone elses. Get what I mean? If you want to sound like someone else by all means go for it, but I want to create my own sound thank you =)
Gear:

Electric Guitars:
Squier Bullet Strat
Ibanez RG350MDX
Gibson SG

Acoustic Guitars:
Tanglewood Roadster

Pedals:
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic

Amp:
Vox VT40 Plus Valvetronix

R.I.P Cobain, Burton, Dio, Bonham, Mercury
Well think of it from this way

If there's a guitarist with a unique guitar set up that you like and you want a similar to tone then a signature series would be usefull

like tommy immomi signature series

the epiphone cost £400

a g400 goth a similar style costs £200

and you can only buy one of the signature pick ups for 100 i dont know if one can be both a brigde and neck

but ether way it will cost 300 with one of the signature pick up or 400 with both plus the work you had to do to fit ether doing it yourself or paying someone else.

the same with jim root a fender telecaster with emg.

But signatures like the james hetfield trucker or the esp snakebyte aren't any different then any guitar that esp/ltd release with the trucker having a unique style which can easily to be mad plus the fact that these signatures don't have the hat set pick ups the same goes for kirks.

I don't think it's so good for a signature just to have a guitarist name on it and a bigger price tag it needs to be different vastly different in style and set up that justifies and says that if you play this you will get the sound and feel of the artist who plays it or get a better experiance then the standard model.

As in the case of frank iero signature wilshire ivory both styled differently then the standard with a better slimmer neck from a les paul and two hot alchino pick ups (maybe 57's) with a 5 ways switch and alternates from outputs and coil taps.

so theres my case.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Dec 10, 2011,
A signature guitar aint the reel thing and probebly are cheaper made than the regular topnotch but for the same money or more because of the signature that`s how buissnes are made..

The artist him self plays a luthier made, Stevie Ray Vaughan often played a sunburst strat with a neck thru..built by a Luthier and the whole story suddenly vannished from the net.
as long as it's a nice guitar and you like playing it, i wouldn't pay much attention to the fact that it's a sig series. PRS, as far as i remember, didn't take it too far.

anyone remember the lynyrd skynyrd les paul?

i couldn't take myself seriously if i was playing that, even though I like their music.
Depends on the specs and quality. I wouldn't buy anything because of a name.

But have you played an Ibanez JEM? I've played a JEM77V. Holy ****ing shit I have never played such a beautiful guitar like that straight off the rack before. No guitar has ever played that well by just picking it up like that... I'm almost in tears by just remembering how well it played.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Skiny boy89
If you want to sound like someone else by all means go for it, but I want to create my own sound thank you =)

That's why you have hands and an amp.

Having a signature model doesn't mean the sound isn't yours.