This is driving me crazy,, I can play any barre chord, just shout one and i play it, but now i am practising hendrix and he has this way to use his thumb on the E string while holding an F major chord. Now i simply cannot do this,, i have tried different ways of sitting, different postures, even standing but i cant play it, i guess my fingers aren't long enough or my hand is too little whatever.

Any tips on getting this chord? Or technique... while it is really not a technique but well... you know what i mean :P
...practice? I don't know,I just played that purple haze over and over in jams until I had it. If you're hand is just too little for the guitar then you'll have to do it another way. All you're really doing is leaving one note out, you could mute it and achieve the same effect it just wouldn't look cool.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
...practice? I don't know,I just played that purple haze over and over in jams until I had it. If you're hand is just too little for the guitar then you'll have to do it another way. All you're really doing is leaving one note out, you could mute it and achieve the same effect it just wouldn't look cool.

That is pretty much my problem :P i could just play the triad and forget about the bass note but hey... that's cheap :P And well,, i have been trying it for a couple of days now,, seriously i cant get it lol
That's not really cheap, I use those triads in the middle voices all the time. Especially when I'm playing with a bassist and pianist. But if you can't do it just play the regular barre chords. No one will hear the difference unless they are ctually listening for it. Or get a guitar that fits your hands better haha.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
That's not really cheap, I use those triads in the middle voices all the time. Especially when I'm playing with a bassist and pianist. But if you can't do it just play the regular barre chords. No one will hear the difference unless they are ctually listening for it. Or get a guitar that fits your hands better haha.

Yeah IF you are playing with a bass there is no problem, i just want to get this "non" technique down, it is like on of those things i am not able to do while the rest of the guitar seems like peace of cake these days, and i cannot stand not being able to do it

i just got a new guitar a week ago, and the neck is as thin as you can get it lol
Quote by B&J
Yeah IF you are playing with a bass there is no problem, i just want to get this "non" technique down, it is like on of those things i am not able to do while the rest of the guitar seems like peace of cake these days, and i cannot stand not being able to do it

i just got a new guitar a week ago, and the neck is as thin as you can get it lol

Hm, for me I'd say "thumbing" is a bit easier on a slightly chunkier neck. As opposed to shredding necks.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
Hm, for me I'd say "thumbing" is a bit easier on a slightly chunkier neck. As opposed to shredding necks.

i dont know what you would call a shredding neck... at the moment i own a gibson les paul and an american standard tele and on both i cant play it. Well the LP has a pretty fat neck so well... no wonder. But the tele is pretty darn thin... cant do it either. I would get the " i play guitar for 2 weeks and all the strings buzz like crazy" kinda sound.
Quote by B&J
i dont know what you would call a shredding neck... at the moment i own a gibson les paul and an american standard tele and on both i cant play it. Well the LP has a pretty fat neck so well... no wonder. But the tele is pretty darn thin... cant do it either. I would get the " i play guitar for 2 weeks and all the strings buzz like crazy" kinda sound.

Ah, sounds just like the kind of necks I'd be comfortable with when it comes to this non-technique.
I guess besides practice you could start with the 4 bottom strings or something like that and do it gradually. Or just wrapping your thumb around the neck without thinking about the chord or anything, just to see what's comfortable for you. Just try to use your thumb as much as possible and then the thumb-barres will come naturally.

EDIT: If you're doing it at the first fret it might be unnecessarily hard if your nut action is a bit high. Try doing it at different frets up and down the neck, start out where you feel most comfortable and build up your technique from there.

EDIT 2: My hands are tiny so there's always hope!
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Dec 9, 2011,
I used to have huge problems with it, gave up, then my guitar teacher figured I should learn it, then first time I tried it from then I had no problems with it. No clue what I was doing wrong at first o_o

I found this one easy to start out with though:

E|3
B|3
G|0
D|5
A|5
E|3

EDIT: I have rather big hands, might be a slightly important detail xD
Quote by LeakyFlask
Ah, sounds just like the kind of necks I'd be comfortable with when it comes to this non-technique.
I guess besides practice you could start with the 4 bottom strings or something like that and do it gradually. Or just wrapping your thumb around the neck without thinking about the chord or anything, just to see what's comfortable for you. Just try to use your thumb as much as possible and then the thumb-barres will come naturally.

Right now, that is what i do, just playing the triads and use the pinky for the little fills. The thing is IT IS JUST NOT COMFORTABLE my hand starts hurting, after 5 years of playing i guess a hurting hand is not very comfortable lol. I guess i would just use my thumb everywhere from now on.. At the moment i'm working on the wind cries mary solo and the part where he goes into the Bb chord and does his little pinky stuff... i just cant get the bass note... i'm not planning on playing the same part over for 3 weeks
Quote by LeakyFlask

EDIT: If you're doing it at the first fret it might be unnecessarily hard if your nut action is a bit high. Try doing it at different frets up and down the neck, start out where you feel most comfortable and build up your technique from there.

EDIT 2: My hands are tiny so there's always hope!

I love the second edit
Quote by B&J
Right now, that is what i do, just playing the triads and use the pinky for the little fills. The thing is IT IS JUST NOT COMFORTABLE my hand starts hurting, after 5 years of playing i guess a hurting hand is not very comfortable lol. I guess i would just use my thumb everywhere from now on.. At the moment i'm working on the wind cries mary solo and the part where he goes into the Bb chord and does his little pinky stuff... i just cant get the bass note... i'm not planning on playing the same part over for 3 weeks

Ah, that's a bummer. Well, of course playing one single part for 3 weeks straight would get a bit tiring. I can't guarantee any success here since we're all different kinds of learners, but my suggestion is to try and find a song where the same technique is used, but where it's just slightly easier. Learn that, then come back and try it again and it's probably a lot easier.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
Ah, that's a bummer. Well, of course playing one single part for 3 weeks straight would get a bit tiring. I can't guarantee any success here since we're all different kinds of learners, but my suggestion is to try and find a song where the same technique is used, but where it's just slightly easier. Learn that, then come back and try it again and it's probably a lot easier.

Any recommendations?
Quote by B&J
Any recommendations?

Wow, gee I don't know really. I think when I really started using my thumb was when I was learning to play "That joke isn't funny anymore" by The Smiths. Not very similar to Hendrix though!

EDIT: In case you'd be interested, this is a pretty brilliant source: http://www.smithsonguitar.com/2008/09/that-joke-isnt-funny-anymore.html
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by LeakyFlask
Wow, gee I don't know really. I think when I really started using my thumb was when I was learning to play "That joke isn't funny anymore" by The Smiths. Not very similar to Hendrix though!

EDIT: In case you'd be interested, this is a pretty brilliant source: http://www.smithsonguitar.com/2008/09/that-joke-isnt-funny-anymore.html

Well dont reccomend stuff if you dont know any recommendations lol

Great link btw
Last edited by B&J at Dec 9, 2011,
You have to remember this is Hendrix we're talking about. The guy had massive hands. For us normal people it's generally considered bad technique to have your thumb over the neck for chords unless it's absolutely necessary.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
You have to remember this is Hendrix we're talking about. The guy had massive hands. For us normal people it's generally considered bad technique to have your thumb over the neck for chords unless it's absolutely necessary.

+1

Dont do it, its bad technique, it hurts your wrists, it limits your speed and your range of motion. Unless you are Hendrix it sucks.

Chords can be found on many places on the fretboard you know.. so just try to fret it normally or fret it somewhere else, might not sound exactly the same but it will be ok.
Dont do it, its bad technique

No, it's just another technique.
it hurts your wrists

Maybe YOURS, if so don't do it.
it limits your speed

Maybe YOURS, if so don't use it.
and your range of motion

No, the point of the technique is to free your fingers and increase range of motion. How do you think Hendrix played all those chord fills?
Unless you are Hendrix it sucks

Nope.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
No, it's just another technique.
No, the point of the technique is to free your fingers and increase range of motion. How do you think Hendrix played all those chord fills?

Lol please go play a super easy scale like the wholetone scale all over the neck with your thumb hanging from the guitar, then try the diminished, then speed it up.. observe how much it sucks.

Justify it all you want, unless you have extremely huge hands it sucks.
Maybe sloppy playing is a technique for you too.
Not playin with the tips of your fingers? another technique right? off tempo playing? another secret technique right ?

If all you are gonna play is the pentatonic scale, yeah you can get away with it, having your thumb over the NECK DOES NOT FREE YOUR FINGERS AND INCREASE YOUR RANGE OF MOTION FFS!! THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE, and go watch all the classical guitarists play, they really kick our asses when it comes to technique, especially left hand.

And observe how shredders tilt the guitar neck up and put their thumb behind the neck when playing fast.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
Lol please go play a super easy scale like the wholetone scale all over the neck with your thumb hanging from the guitar, then try the diminished, then speed it up.. observe how much it sucks.

Not playin with the tips of your fingers? another technique right? off tempo playing? another secret technique right ?

If all you are gonna play is the pentatonic scale, yeah you can get away with it, having your thumb over the NECK DOES NOT FREE YOUR FINGERS AND INCREASE YOUR RANGE OF MOTION FFS!! THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE, and go watch all the classical guitarists play, they really kick our asses when it comes to technique, especially left hand.

And observe how shredders tilt the guitar neck up and put their thumb behind the neck when playing fast.

theyre talking about barre chord rhythm playing not shredding diminished scales at a million bpm
Quote by Slashiepie

and that there is the kicker, and even if you've got massive hands it's still restricting your range of motion - the difference is it won't noticeably disadvantage you.

Hendrix and SRV could easily fret notes on the bottom strings with their fingers with the thumb hooked over the top - it's not even possible for me to reach those strings comfortably with my thumb in the same place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by _LoveFuzz_

Refer to this thread and everything in it for a whole discussion on why thumb position is important.

Thumb over the neck has its place, but when you're referring to "increasing range of motion" it achieves quite the opposite.

Nobody was talking about playing scales, the discussion was in reference to the technique in playing chords. I'm speaking in reference to chording period.
having your thumb over the NECK DOES NOT FREE YOUR FINGERS

I'm sorry you seem upset , but in reference to chording - it does.