I'm looking at a Dimarzio X2N 7 as a long-term pickup upgrade for my 7-string that I'm getting for Christmas. I only have the one guitar, and no idea about the pickups on it, but I play metal stuff, and I rarely use anything other than the bridge pickup (the guitar I have has 3 single coil pickups) to get the tone, as it's the closest to the crunchy metal tone I wanted.

I'm looking for a pickup to complement the X2N 7 as a neck pickup, preferably something clean and clear, as the fuzzy nature of the other two pickups doesn't do it for me. I play a little bit of alt-rock on occasion, so are there any particuar pickups that would be suitable for the neck position to go with the X2N 7? Dimarzio or otherwise.
i had an x2n (6 string) and wasn't a huge fan of it. i felt that it was better suited for a punk tone than metal. it was just too shrill, harsh, and bright to be any good for metal. i'd look into doing a crunch lab/liquifire set or an evo set
LiquiFire 7, or Air Norton 7 imo, I'm personally partial to the AN, but the LiquiFire is a nice versatile pickup too.
peavey vypyr 30. This is more hypothetical, I'm gonna get the guitar, then the amp right after, and the pickups are third
Last edited by staceap at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by andrerist
i had an x2n (6 string) and wasn't a huge fan of it. i felt that it was better suited for a punk tone than metal. it was just too shrill, harsh, and bright to be any good for metal. i'd look into doing a crunch lab/liquifire set or an evo set

Chuck Schuldiner of Death used one
D-Activator neck would be a great contrast with the X2N at the bridge since it's a creamy pu whether the tone is trimmed or not. Don't know about LiquiFire 7 though. I use a Tone Zone 7 bridge with a D-Activator neck on a S7320. I hated the abrasiveness of the X2N on this guitar. My .02.
Last edited by dirtfoot at Dec 10, 2011,
ok, what impact should the output have on the pairings? Am I better to have pickups of a similar output? What does your Tone Zone sound like?
Quote by staceap
What about a LiquiFire in the bridge and a D Activator Neck?

that sounds like a pretty awful idea and idk y you would consider doing that... the liquefier is made for creamy solos and made specifically to be used in the neck...
Quote by andrerist
that sounds like a pretty awful idea and idk y you would consider doing that... the liquefier is made for creamy solos and made specifically to be used in the neck...

I know very little about pickups, so I'm prone to making comments that seem stupid to a more knowledgeable source
Quote by staceap
I know very little about pickups, so I'm prone to making comments that seem stupid to a more knowledgeable source

for the most part, a neck pickup really won't sound good at all in the bridge (only exception i know of is the emg 81/85 combo being switched).

a neck pickup is made for a smooth, creamy tone used mostly for solos and clean tones. the bridge pickup (at least in the case of metal) is going to be a much more aggressive, biting tone that is going to really sound good with a lot of chugging and chord work