Hello musicians,
my band and I wrote an original and I have a solo over the chord progression D-F-A-D,
can someone tell me what scale I could play with this chord progression? Or something else to help me? Sorry I really don't know about music theory but I been playing guitar for 4 years.
You have been playing for 4 years and you dont know how to solo over a progression like that..... seriously, what have you been doing for those 4 years? Learn diatonic harmony, learn how chord progressions are build up, learn to harmonize the major scale etc.
im no expert in theory but it sounds like you are using D as your root note - therefore d major or d minor depending on the tone of the song.
and lets be nice B&J
Use the Major Scale. Simpliest there. Use things like Octaves, Hammer On's, Pull Off's, Trills, and lightening fast legato! But Remember, Flash is okay in small amounts, don't over do it...

But besides that, expand some maybe. I would follow B&J's advice if I were you.

I would start on a D note to establish the key though for your progression, you could also use F#, or A. I wouldn't recomend G though, maybe E if you phrase it right! Then move on from there, use your ears though and remember to use dissonance. It creates Tension, just resolve it! With the right amount of Dissonance and Consonance you can have a very good solo. Don't always think in terms of the major scale that you are set there by blood, you can throw accidentals in to create dissonance.

You can also use the Pentatonic Scale too. Depends on really what you want. Minor Pentatonic is the most used and abused in Metal, Rock, Country, and other genres I don't feel like listing. Major isn't used as often but used and if you want add that Blues note!

That's my advice, Happy Practicing and learning!

EDIT: Btw I looked at your progression again and would recommend using maj, min, 7 or whatever so its more specific. But for your F, is it F#maj or Fmaj? That can dictate alot...
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by Lagunaguitar
im no expert in theory but it sounds like you are using D as your root note - therefore d major or d minor depending on the tone of the song.
and lets be nice B&J

Oh... That was me trying to be nice. Seriously.. He should learn to harmonize the major scale, or just learn some major scales and figure out for himself where the tonal center would be, that would be so much better than someone telling him it is in the key of D. Which it is not btw Unless the F would be an F# minor kinda chord
Last edited by B&J at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by B&J
Oh... That was me trying to be nice. Seriously.. He should learn to harmonize the major scale, or just learn some major scales and figure out for himself where the tonal center would be, that would be so much better than someone telling him it is in the key of D. Which it is not btw Unless the F would be an F# minor kinda chord

Helpful criticism isn't mean. Just because he's motivating him and telling him where hes falling behind is very very helpful. Hell I've been playing for 6 months, I'd highly encourage this help.

Seriously, yell at me XD
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by FinestFilipinoX
Hello musicians,
my band and I wrote an original and I have a solo over the chord progression D-F-A-D,
can someone tell me what scale I could play with this chord progression? Or something else to help me? Sorry I really don't know about music theory but I been playing guitar for 4 years.

i would suggest you work out the notes in each chord.

then pick 3 or 4 adjacent notes to build a phrase/s around.

here's one idea for you to get started.

D= D,F#,A
F=F,A,C
A=A,C#B

so ill use F# ,F and A as My target notes for each chord.
Ill use G as a passing note between them.

|F# G F# |F G F | G A A | A G F# |
D major, then an F major? Eugh!

Try the D major scale, and use an F natural as an accidental for that F...
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!