Anybody have any experience with these? Would you say the quality is equal to or better than Squier?

I'm thinking of just learning bass as a hobby. If I like it I'll take it more seriously, if I don't I'll just customise the shit out of it and sell it to an actual bassist

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
A few years back, I would have said the quality was questionable, but after getting a Brice and seeing some of the other SX models from Rondo, their quality has improved.

If you are looking for a bass to mod, they are great base models (no pun intended there). For what my 6 string Brice cost, its a solid bass.
I've played an SX p-bass quite a bit.Solid,straightforward bass guitar.I assume you're a guitarist looking to play a little bit off bass as well?
If you just want an instrument to have a bash on,or to have lying around for whenever you feel like playing bass (or might need to),you're looking in the right direction.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The one I had just needed new strings, a set-up, and new CTS pots. The ones that were in it were o.k. but cheap and a little scratchy. Over all finish was excellent and comfortable to play. The pups were not bad either.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by moscaespañol
Anybody have any experience with these? Would you say the quality is equal to or better than Squier?

I'm thinking of just learning bass as a hobby. If I like it I'll take it more seriously, if I don't I'll just customise the shit out of it and sell it to an actual bassist

Terrible idea right there, any work you do will cost $$$ but any smart bassist buying used would only pay $ or $$. Customizations are for you not the next buyer.
Quote by askrere
Terrible idea right there, any work you do will cost $$$ but any smart bassist buying used would only pay $ or $$. Customizations are for you not the next buyer.

+1
Or customize it for myself, I suppose. :/

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I played a short-scale SX p-bass until I got a Squier p-bass. I don't know a whole lot about what makes one bass better than another bass, but in my opinion the Squier is just generally a higher quality, more "proper" bass. Gets nicer tones and stays in tune longer and whatnot. On the other hand though, my SX came with an amp, a gig bag, a cable, and a sufficiently "meh" instructional DVD, all for less money than the lone Squier. So I'd say if you want to splurge, get a Squier and a cheap amp, but if you're totally new to anything bass or musical in general, I'd go with the SX starter kit.
I have an SX Precision bass and it feels at least as solid as any Mex Fender I've had. I can't comment on the electronics as it has a godawful Seymour Duncan in it.
I've owned a few SX basses and guitars. I've also owned high end US G&Ls and Fenders.

The SX brand is no joke. They are solid, wonderful instruments at a completely do-able price point.

Like ANY mass-produced bass, you're going to get duds and you're going to get gems. What makes SX stand out in this regard, is their super helpful customer service. Get a dud? They'll work with you to get one you're happy with.

I had some... issues... recently, and my once voluminous bass collection has been GREATLY reduced. One of the few that i kept is my SX Shortscale Jaguar bass.

I don't know of any other brand that does a J/J setup with a 30" scale (aside from $1k+ boutiques... *cough* Birdsong *cough*). It's made impeccably well, and is the first Jazz bass i really enjoy playing.

So, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Also, regarding the elephant in the room. I like the 'new' headstock. I don't get the people that care so much about the shape of something that has so little to do with the tone and play-ability of an instrument. If i were SO concerned with a fender shaped headstock on a sub $200 bass... i would get a Squier. I, for one, am glad that SX/Rondo/Brice have their own headstock.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

Also, regarding the elephant in the room. I like the 'new' headstock. I don't get the people that care so much about the shape of something that has so little to do with the tone and play-ability of an instrument. If i were SO concerned with a fender shaped headstock on a sub $200 bass... i would get a Squier. I, for one, am glad that SX/Rondo/Brice have their own headstock.

Aesthetics is understandably important to a lot of people though. All the popular genres of music are largely about image, and a lot of people look for beauty in an instrument as well as function. I think the new headstock is pretty gross. I don't mind that it's not fender-shaped because I don't care if people realize I'm using a $150 bass. I just don't care for it aesthetically. If I had a bass that played better than everything else I owned but I hated the look, I'd still play it all the time. When the SX is just another one in the collection (I think a lot of people buy them as beater or cheap mod basses rather than starters), it's harder to ignore its ugliness since it's not the top of the heap. That's probably why there's so much commentary on the headstock.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Aesthetics is understandably important to a lot of people though. All the popular genres of music are largely about image, and a lot of people look for beauty in an instrument as well as function. I think the new headstock is pretty gross. I don't mind that it's not fender-shaped because I don't care if people realize I'm using a $150 bass. I just don't care for it aesthetically. If I had a bass that played better than everything else I owned but I hated the look, I'd still play it all the time. When the SX is just another one in the collection (I think a lot of people buy them as beater or cheap mod basses rather than starters), it's harder to ignore its ugliness since it's not the top of the heap. That's probably why there's so much commentary on the headstock.

I understand, and agree to a point...

But i think the "Fender Style" headstock is just TOO over used now... I a-liken the SX to an old Ibanez Roadstarr, or a Harmony, or a Gibson Victory(artist), or an Ovation Ultrabass... comparatively it's not THAT much of a difference than those.

Agree to disagree, i suppose

On a non-biased note: I do think they are less extreme in person... something about the way Rondo photographs them makes them seem much more boat-paddle-esque than they are in person.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."