Am looking for a set or brand of strings that can help me out with a problem i have:
Easier bends and chording = smooth playing
And they need to be strong
This is a bit of a catch-22 if you ask me because I find that the bigger the string guage the better/fuller chords sound (up to a point), but that makes bending all that more difficult. If I could bend 12's like I can 10's, I'd use them every time - I prefer 10's or 10.5's, usually Curt Mangan Nickel or better yet SOB nickels if I can get them.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
The most easy bends are with no strings at all. Practise and proper technique would make you able to do bends with any kinda of strings
Quote by B&J
The most easy bends are with no strings at all. Practise and proper technique would make you able to do bends with any kinda of strings

Why not use 10s which seem to be a standard to most people and then you can increase/decrease gauge to your liking.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by B&J

umm...thinner strings are easier to bend...
Quote by NakedInTheRain
umm...thinner strings are easier to bend...
Thicker strings have better tone.. so whatabout learning to bend with thicker strings and get over with it. Seriously... when i started out playing this is how i was thinking, and i can only say it hugely helped me. Now i got great tone and good technique bends.
whatever gauge you have now, go down a gauge. i'd say don't go under .10s though so if you have .10s you just have to learn better bending technique. also the size of your frets makes a difference. jumbo fret wire is easier to bend on starting out but once you learn to bend correctly to pitch, you shouldn't have a problem regardless. i can bend any gauge with any fret size. its just a matter of learning. your worst situation would be having .13's on medium frets with a floyd rose so just dont do that nd you'll learn to adapt. all you need is patience.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 9, 2011,
What gauge strings are you using now? One of my guitars came with 9's on it and I loved them. I buy D'Addario XLs in bulk for that axe. I have 2 others that came with 10's. At first they were too hard for me to bend well. But over time I've gotten very use to them and you'd swear they were rubber bands by looking at how easy they are for me to bend.

I then happen to have a chance to play that earlier guitar with 9's on it. Man, I was way out of control with it. My bends were way too big. Took me a while to simmer things down a bit.

What's neat about using the guitar with 9's is I can bend chords with them like nobody's business (still can't do that easily with the 10's).

I think most Strat/Super Strat guitars come with 9's. Your Les Pauls/SCs come with 10's. Obviously that's not a rule, but it's what I've observed. A buddy of mine bought a new Epi LP and it came with 10's. He was struggling like mad with bends. I put on a set of my 9's and he immediately had a better time of it.

Knock yourself out. I don't think the brand of strings will be as significant as the gauge. I'm guessing you'll want XL or XXL strings (eXtra Light, eXtra eXtra Light).
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by B&J
Thicker strings have better tone.. so whatabout learning to bend with thicker strings and get over with it. Seriously... when i started out playing this is how i was thinking, and i can only say it hugely helped me. Now i got great tone and good technique bends.

get off your high horse. since when does great tone come from the gauge of your strings. pretty sure Iommi used to play 8's or 9's and no one can say his tone isn't big.

TS if you are finding difficult to bend the strings then you should go down a gauge.
Quote by joe_k
get off your high horse. since when does great tone come from the gauge of your strings. pretty sure Iommi used to play 8's or 9's and no one can say his tone isn't big.

TS if you are finding difficult to bend the strings then you should go down a gauge.

this. and i think iommi played with banjo strings or something.
Quote by B&J

I dare you to pplay in E standard with 14's.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
this. and i think iommi played with banjo strings or something.

Thicker guages add more bass, and generally sound fuller. The differences are pretty massive to my ears.....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I dare you to pplay in E standard with 14's.

Thicker guages add more bass, and generally sound fuller. The differences are pretty massive to my ears.....

Go play an acoustic

Or just play a jazz box.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Try bending on one

I have. It's hard
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Buy a $100 guitar.
Put 13's or 14's on it.
Practice your bends on that.
In this case, sound isn't important. Strengthening your fingers is the goal.

Then go to your main guitar and do the same.
i have 13s for E-standard on my gretsch. i can just about bend on it, but it's harder than i'd like it to be, so i use a lighter gauge for the guitars i use for the kind of music where i need to do a lot of bending, because i think the negligible improvement in tone you get from thicker strings is far less important than being comfortable playing - if you're comfortable playing you'll play better and sound better as a result anyway - a better tone is worthless if you're struggling to play because the strings are too heavy for you.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by JakeBluesRocker
i play a les paul by the way,I used to have ernies but they din't felt right

Try D'Addario XLs in 9-46 (yellow pack) or 9-42 (purple pack). XLs are available just about everywhere Ernies are and are extremely consistent. They're the most reliable strings I've ever used.

There's no 'best string'. Everyones' skin chemistry is different - with me Ernie Balls rust in no time, but D'Addarios last months. My mate is almost the exact oppposite.
Ernie Ball sound amazing for like 3 days, then until you change them they sound horrible. D'Adarrios sound good for about 2 weeks then they sound only Okay.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by kyle62
Try D'Addario XLs in 9-46 (yellow pack) or 9-42 (purple pack). XLs are available just about everywhere Ernies are and are extremely consistent. They're the most reliable strings I've ever used.

There's no 'best string'. Everyones' skin chemistry is different - with me Ernie Balls rust in no time, but D'Addarios last months. My mate is almost the exact oppposite.

It's funny, the EB's also (to me) sounded very dull when fresh compared to the D'Addarios, which sound awesome and crisp.

Personally for LP's I've found 11-56 to be my favorite set. With that being said I wouldn't suggest using 11's for easy bending if you're having trouble with it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
i have 13s for E-standard on my gretsch. i can just about bend on it, but it's harder than i'd like it to be, so i use a lighter gauge for the guitars i use for the kind of music where i need to do a lot of bending, because i think the negligible improvement in tone you get from thicker strings is far less important than being comfortable playing - if you're comfortable playing you'll play better and sound better as a result anyway - a better tone is worthless if you're struggling to play because the strings are too heavy for you.

Woah what? So you have industrial strength cable for strings?