This automatically assumes:
- The musician knows ALL the theory behind how to construct these chords
- Knows the fretboard and could create these without knowing the shapes if need be
- Assume stellar technique and vibrato strictly for the sake of this thread and preventing that from coming up

I get stuck in a rut sometimes where I find myself defaulting to the following shapes when composing:

- Chromatic
- All 7 diatonic modes
- 1 3 5 arpeggios
> major
> minor
> autogmented
> diminished
- 1 3 5 triads
- Dim7 arpeggios
- Pentatonic minor
- Harmonic minor
- Other unusual scales I've learned (mainly have a japenese feel, about 2-3 go here)

Where should one go from here? Should I do the pentatonic major? Melodic minor?
What about 1 3 5 7 triads and arpeggios?

I solo a lot, so knowing how they sound from sheer repetition usually helps me create stuff on the fly. Where could I go that would make things interesting?
It's spelled wiener.
Whistling... Seriously. When i get stuck in a rut and i dont know what kinda solo to do on a track i just take my bike, go ride for a while, and come back with an idea. The best place to come up with ur solo's is not with a guitar in ur hands.

Oh and listen to other people of course. Just JAM
you could stop relying on shapes and start thinking in sounds and notes.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Learn styles of other musician's. Maybe listen to a Sax player or Trumpet player, then try to emulate them. That can add variety. I understand you already said stellar technique but technique can add flavor, There are many musician's who styles/novelty effects turn something plain into magic, thats why virtouses have so many tricks up their sleeves

Example: Jack Teagarden had an unusual postion when playing trombone, but it gave him a unique swing style to his playing and he could make almost any piece sound bluesy. He even made a Bach piece sound Bluesy without adding or changing any notes!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I find that feeling the overall flow of a song is the best way to build a solo. We're past the 20 minute extravaganza's from the '70's, a solo has to BE something to the song. Jeff Beck is quoted as saying that "It's not how many notes you play, it's about taking the song to another level". Even a basically proficient guitarist can listen to the likes of "Paranoid" or "Thunderstruck" (etc) and come up with (what they think is) a better solo. The point of an instrumental solo is to kick the song up into a higher gear. FEEL what's going on in music, it's an art, not a mathematical science.
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by kerrang
I find that feeling the overall flow of a song is the best way to build a solo. We're past the 20 minute extravaganza's from the '70's, a solo has to BE something to the song. Jeff Beck is quoted as saying that "It's not how many notes you play, it's about taking the song to another level". Even a basically proficient guitarist can listen to the likes of "Paranoid" or "Thunderstruck" (etc) and come up with (what they think is) a better solo. The point of an instrumental solo is to kick the song up into a higher gear. FEEL what's going on in music, it's an art, not a mathematical science.

I like that idea... even though having an idea of where to go would be kinda handy imo
Quote by B&J
Whistling... Seriously. When i get stuck in a rut and i dont know what kinda solo to do on a track i just take my bike, go ride for a while, and come back with an idea. The best place to come up with ur solo's is not with a guitar in ur hands.

Oh and listen to other people of course. Just JAM

You also use lots of slash chords as well, correct?

But my advice is to break out of some of that. Sometimes if you feel like you're 'trapped' or something like that, break away. Break the rules, don't follow patterns, see how it goes. It may be a huge flop, but it's worth a shot and may surprise you. Now, I don't mean throw away all your theory, but just ignore it every once in a blue moon, and you might come up with something really cool.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
If you can hum it in the shower, it's good.
Unless you're synesthetic, the 'shape' of music means little to nothing to you- how does it sound/feel to play? I understand very little of the OP but I can construct solos which make people feel something, which is the most important thing (to me).
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by B&J
I like that idea... even though having an idea of where to go would be kinda handy imo

Saw your post about whistling and couldn't agree more! I hum and sing to myself when I'm doing the dishes and drum on my thighs when I'm on the can. The notion to CREATE appears at any time - if right now isn't a creative time then play along with records to keep on top of a practice regime. You'll notice you start to improvise on-the-fly, don't try and squash it down - let it out!
Grammar Nazi.
Musicians should be fluent with music, not shapes.

Edit: unless you meant HER shape, knaawmeeaaann???

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by kerrang
Saw your post about whistling and couldn't agree more! I hum and sing to myself when I'm doing the dishes and drum on my thighs when I'm on the can. The notion to CREATE appears at any time - if right now isn't a creative time then play along with records to keep on top of a practice regime. You'll notice you start to improvise on-the-fly, don't try and squash it down - let it out!

Like i said, you come up with ideas in places you least expect them. That's why i walk around with a little tape recorder wherever i go. I get ideas on the train, in the bus, in the car, on the toilet..... but when sitting with a guitar.... I kinda have to listen to my tape recorder.
Quote by AeolianWolf
you could stop relying on shapes and start thinking in sounds and notes.

Shapes is just basically notes, so thinking in notes essentially reverts to shapes anyways.

So how about you give me some notes buddy ol' pal that can break me out of this rut, since I'll just make a shape out of them anyways and commit to that memory bank up above.
It's spelled wiener.
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Shapes is just basically notes, so thinking in notes essentially reverts to shapes anyways.

So how about you give me some notes buddy ol' pal that can break me out of this rut, since I'll just make a shape out of them anyways and commit to that memory bank up above.

True and false at the same time. A shape is showing you are preset. When you would buy yourself a brand new guitar effect, would you use a preset? Or do you want do dial in the effect by yourself? I guess the last option right... Same with music. When you glue yourself to a scale you forget about the fact that there are those 12 little things called notes that are around the whole fretboard, not just in that scale. If you are so inclined to learn scales, learn the formulas, and build from there
Quote by AtomicBirdy

So you are saying what ever notes we throw at you, you'll just arrange into a shape you know?..

Welp heres some notes

A C Gb F D E C# A G E

Keep them in that order!

Good luck!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by AtomicBirdy

That's the way to go, man. A musician should always be able to make a statement through his playing. I don't think you'll have a problem stating your mindlessness.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by AtomicBirdy

this is why you're in the rut you're in. if you're too stupid to ignore wisdom then don't seek it out. if all you're concerned with is shapes, you're not cut to be a musician. go study geometry. i have nothing to gain from trying to help you. you're the one who has the possible gain here.

but i'm in a good mood, so i'll tell you that xiaoxi has the right idea.

if you don't want to listen, enjoy your mediocrity. i responded to try to help you. if you're too incompetent to take it (and lack the manners to be grateful for it instead of bitching about it), don't ask for help. just get comfortable in that little hole you're in.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

About women right??? That's what I'm really trying to emphasize here...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by AeolianWolf
this is why you're in the rut you're in. if you're too stupid to ignore wisdom then don't seek it out. if all you're concerned with is shapes, you're not cut to be a musician. go study geometry. i have nothing to gain from trying to help you. you're the one who has the possible gain here.

if you don't want to listen, enjoy your mediocrity. i responded to try to help you. if you're too incompetent to take it (and lack the manners to be grateful for it instead of bitching about it), don't ask for help. just get comfortable in that little hole you're in.

Well I was asking you for what you originally recommended, and in addition I proved you wrong anyways-- yet you continue to be an asshole.
If you're too incompetent to provide proper advice and lack the ability to deliver on what you said (which is not saying much, your advice was flimsy to begin with), then just get comfortable with having a room temp IQ with respect to music.

Since you're trolling my thread as I called you out to help me and you didn't but instead said 100% non-sense and pointless pseudo-elitism ******ry for the sake of it, reported.

For those that don't want to go down the pseudo-elitist path that is self defeating (which our misinformed friend I quoted headed and failed), post like Xter please and thank you.
It's spelled wiener.
Last edited by AtomicBirdy at Dec 9, 2011,
Instead of giving multiple warnings I'll just close the thread.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud