hi, I recenty got an Ibanez RG321MHE on sale at Zzounds.com (I paid $190; it's normally $350). The guitar came in yesterday and it seems to have a couple issues.

1) There's are dead frets higher up on the B string (20th fret or so). I can't lower the action very much at all or this problem spreads to other frets/strings. So right now I'm stuck playing with higher action than I'd like (and still with a couple dead notes on the B string). The neck seems to have good bow as far as I can tell and there's nothing obviously wrong with the nut or bridge. I suspect an uneven fret job is at work.

2) The binding on the neck is pretty uneven and sloppy. There even seems to be a small amount of binding almost scooped out on the bass side of the 3rd fret.

3) Fret edges are sharp on the bass side of the neck.

So, do you think I should ask for a replacement sent, or is this just standard fare for a $350 guitar? And if you do think I should ask for a replacement, how should I go about doing so? I think there's a 45-day return policy on Zzounds (although I don't know if I'd have to pay shipping) and I have Ibanez's limited warranty. Would I be able to get a full exchange even though the sale has expired?

Any other suggestions as to fixing this problem (mainly the dead frets) are welcome. Thanks in advance. If anyone has experience returning a product to Zzounds.com that would be great too.
Last edited by CurbstompBass at Dec 10, 2011,
If I noticed problems with a guitar and it truly made me unhappy, then yes I would return it. So since I'm assuming you are bothered by this if you made a post about it. I would say do something about it.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I would return that. I do not even accept $100 guitars with these issues. Some fretbuzz is fine, that is to be expected on mid to lower range guitars but having dead frets is differents. The dead frets issue can only be fixed by getting the frets leveled and dressed and the sharp fret ends just need sanding but the binding would be much harder and more expensive to fix than anything else.

If you want to get a replacement just tell them what is going on and ask them. Its pretty straight forward. If they wont then I suggest trying to talk to Ibanez about a replacement or refund.
My $125 Squier Affinity had dead frets when I got it, but everything else was great. I got the frets going pretty easily, but it wasn't really good until after I got a pro setup (not just GC) and the luthier shimmed the neck. That made it as playable as my MIA Strat. Then when I put locking tuners on it later, along with HH humbuckers, I now prefer it over my MIA.

But your guitar has more issues. I'd take it up with ZZounds or Ibanez before dumping more money to get it fixed yourself.

Be sure to let us know how it works out--you might want to tell the ZZounds folks that your UG buddies recommended you follow up with them and they're anxious to hear how ZZounds handles it because they always want to know who the good online guitar stores are and who to avoid.
Quote by jetwash69

Be sure to let us know how it works out--you might want to tell the ZZounds folks that your UG buddies recommended you follow up with them and they're anxious to hear how ZZounds handles it because they always want to know who the good online guitar stores are and who to avoid.

I think this needs to happen more often with all retailers and manufacturers.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
i would return that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Usually Ibanez are good Quality. I's there a "S" or a "B" Stamped on the back of the neck? It may have been a Blemished or Second Quality guitar. If so I would return that.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Even $100 guitars should not be like that. My LTD was $300, and it has almost no playability flaws, beside the fact that when you fret the high E it's really close to the edge of the fretboard up on the higher frets.
Quote by Darkdevil725
I would return that. I do not even accept $100 guitars with these issues. Some fretbuzz is fine, that is to be expected on mid to lower range guitars but having dead frets is differents. The dead frets issue can only be fixed by getting the frets leveled and dressed and the sharp fret ends just need sanding but the binding would be much harder and more expensive to fix than anything else.

If you want to get a replacement just tell them what is going on and ask them. Its pretty straight forward. If they wont then I suggest trying to talk to Ibanez about a replacement or refund.

Offtopic-note for a sec: Your website is really cool, mainly because I just bought me an Epiphone ($350) and could really use some good set-up tricks. Keep updating your site, don't let it sit lol.

Ontopic: I just bought a $350 Epiphone with fret buzzing on the E, but I'm going to have a professional look at it, because I have absolutely zero knowledge about action. I'd take it to a professional before doing anything, but you would lose money if he can't do anything and you return it.

Its a risk, but if the sharp frets are a big bother then I'd skip the above anyway.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.