Interest : looking at a Peavey 6505 212 or a Peavey Vypyr 120 212 (used or new)

Budget: $650

Music: BTBAM, Veil of Maya, Substructure, Animals as Leaders, the Faceless, the Contortionist, Circle of Contempt, etc.

Gear: Schecter Omen 6, Peavey Envoy 110 (just got stolen), Boss Metal Zone

My house got broken into and my amp was stolen so I'm looking to upgrade. My equipment is pretty basic. I'm usually broke as hell and music is just a hobby. I'm looking for a decent metal/djent amp. I want something that will keep up with a drum set, maybe play small gigs (in the future), and of course wake up the roommates and annoy the neighbors a little.

I know the 6505 is more expensive so if I bought one I would have to go used. Any advice would be great. I'm open to other ideas for amps as well. Thanks guys.
Probably the 6505.

I was gonna suggest an Axe FX blindly but obviously that's outta your range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
While a 6505 would fit the bill I think a Peavy Ultra, XXX, or JSX would work here too. I listen to a lot of these bands and they have a smoother high gain tone that I think the Ultra/XXX/JSX would suit well in.

Also I'd look into extending the range on your guitar if you want to play their stuff. i.e. look for a seven stringer.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Haff
and of course wake up the roommates and annoy the neighbors a little.

God Damn it's about time

I have a Vypyr 60 and like it a lot but it is a different type of amp from a 6505+. The 6505+ has a well known tone that is strait forward and all tube. It gets the job done in spades but is a bit one dimensional. They Vypyr is hella versatile but suffers a bit from 'modelers syndrome' I personally really dig the Diezel and Twin settings for example and I don't use effects nor gig - so it is perfect for me.

+1 to the Ultra/XXX/JSX idea. Maybe look at some Bugera's too.

Sorry your gear got stolen. Keep your eyes open on craigslist and pawnshops in your neighboring towns.
I'm gonna vote Vypyr on this. It'll sound a lot better for djent than any all tube amp, even a 6505. Also, as a Vypyr owner, let me tell you (in regard to GS Leads comment) - the bass response is disturbingly tight. I until just recently I owned a 5150, and the Vypyr blows it (and any other amp I've played) away when it comes to response time.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^More important is to keep the gain low. Quite a lot of Djentlemen use less gain than most blues players my band recorded a cover of Tesseract's "Deception" recently. For my parts, I used an RP500 with the Mark IV model. Gain was literally 0 on 10. Low gain is the best way to get that tight percussive sound and that staccato effect.

EDIT: Never said the Vypyr was bad( the tube ones are actually darn badass), just that any amp with tight bass response will do the djent trick. Tesseract use a POD and an Axe into 6505 poweramps, if that helps
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Dec 10, 2011,
the 6505 will djent quite nicely, i have the 6505+ combo and i've been non stop djenting for weeks now
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Offworld92
I'm gonna vote Vypyr on this. It'll sound a lot better for djent than any all tube amp, even a 6505.

Which Vypyr do you have? Do you have any idea how loud the 212 Vypyr is compared to the 6505?

Quote by Goodtimes666
the 6505 will djent quite nicely, i have the 6505+ combo and i've been non stop djenting for weeks now

If I get a 6505 would I need to by a noise gate or compressor or anything like that?

Quote by kylendm
Also I'd look into extending the range on your guitar if you want to play their stuff. i.e. look for a seven stringer.

Oh yeah. I definitely plan on getting a seven string in the future.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Maybe look at some Bugera's too.
Sorry your gear got stolen. Keep your eyes open on craigslist and pawnshops in your neighboring towns.

The 212 Bugera looks pretty nice. I'd need some sort of distortion though wouldn't I? And a noise gate? Anything else? Also - we're going vigilante if we find these guys. Not that an Envoy 110 is anything to really complain about having stolen though lol

All in all thanks for the great advice guys. I appreciate it.
Quote by Haff

If I get a 6505 would I need to by a noise gate or compressor or anything like that?

noise gate is a must for a 6505 and its a double must for djenting. i use an mxr smart gate but the decimator is considered top notch. a compressor would be optional, it would help out but its not a must have. a pedal you have to have would be an overdrive/tubescreamer pedal (probably the most important pedal on a metal pedalboard). i get great results from my green rhino but there are so many options.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
+infinity for noise gate. Impossible to djent without one.

@Goodtimes: Why a compressor? That would just raise your noise floor, and make audible squeaks and harmonics when muting with your left hand that would normally get cut off with the suppressor. Plus, you really need playing dynamics when djenting, its got quite a lot to do with technique- you really need to dig into the strings to get that boing sound. A compressor would kill all that, right?

EDIT: Unless you meant the compressor for cleans, in which case it makes perfect sense.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
+infinity for noise gate. Impossible to djent without one.

@Goodtimes: Why a compressor? That would just raise your noise floor, and make audible squeaks and harmonics when muting with your left hand that would normally get cut off with the suppressor. Plus, you really need playing dynamics when djenting, its got quite a lot to do with technique- you really need to dig into the strings to get that boing sound. A compressor would kill all that, right?

EDIT: Unless you meant the compressor for cleans, in which case it makes perfect sense.

periphery has a rig tour video and they mentioned how important the compressor was to there tone several times. i believe they use keeley compressors. they didn't go into how it was set though, i thought the same thing as you when i watched it but those guys have great djent tone with the compressor on all the time.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
They compress the shit out of everything dude. All Djent sounds are compressed, makes it so you can use more gain and still keep that sharp attack. If you want to just a natural tone to get djent you're doing it wrong.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^More important is to keep the gain low. Quite a lot of Djentlemen use less gain than most blues players my band recorded a cover of Tesseract's "Deception" recently. For my parts, I used an RP500 with the Mark IV model. Gain was literally 0 on 10. Low gain is the best way to get that tight percussive sound and that staccato effect.

EDIT: Never said the Vypyr was bad( the tube ones are actually darn badass), just that any amp with tight bass response will do the djent trick. Tesseract use a POD and an Axe into 6505 poweramps, if that helps

Tesseract used 3 channel Recto poweramps when i saw them back in July

and yeah i was surprised at just how low you need the gain set on amps to get THAT Djent sound, out of a band atmosphere it almost feels weird playing with that tone. you want to cut low end boost mids and have EPIC picking technique. a fair bit of presence helps as well

TS a 6505 is your best bet, along with a compressor and a noise gate. i think two is a little unnecessary like Periphery used unless you really want to nail their tone but even then you'd be better off with an AxeFx through a 5153
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Haff
Which Vypyr do you have? Do you have any idea how loud the 212 Vypyr is compared to the 6505?

I have the 120H head. The Vypyr has the best volume control out of any amp I have used. My 5150 was just balls loud, even below 1. Like, the 5150 starts shaking walls around 2. the Vypyr, while it can get just as loud, as a much smoother volume control, and since it essentially has 2 volume controls for each patch, you can really control how loud you want it to be. I can easily make my Vypyr go whisper quiet. And the great thing is that since it's a hybrid, it retains it's tone no matter what volume it's at.

Really, the only fault I can find in the Vypyr is that it lacks the "kick you in the balls" feel that only a true tube amp can have, and the fact that it overheats every once in a blue moon. Other than that, I consider it superior to any other amp you can get for the same price, easily (obviously of course, provided that you need all the versatility and power it has)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My vote goes to the 6505 as well, but you'll need a noise gate and an OD to tighten it up in my opinion. The Vypyr is quiter and tighter right off the bat, but the tone you'll get from the 6505 will be a good deal better once it's been "conditioned" by the gate+OD combo.