This is the difference between us getting a ton of stuff done, and doing absolutely nothing over 2 hours...

I have jammed and written songs with just 1 other person before, and it went very well. He was on drums and I was on guitar. I would make signals or something and he would stop. We were good friends. Now I moved and I find these 3 dudes to jam with. I am on drums this time and they take other stuff. Barely anybody where I live plays drums.

So we get together once every week for about 2 hours. We've only done it twice so far but soon will be the third one and I am dreading it because the last one we didn't accomplish anything. A major problem is that nobody plays drums, but everybody WANTS to play drums. No matter how much they may suck. And when somebody is playing drums, nobody else can do anything unless you're playing with them, which would never happen because nobody actually plays drums here except a few.

Anyway so a ton of time is wasted on that. But then when I finally get us to start working on songs it's usually the lead guitarist has part of a song written and then he needs to come up with the other parts. In the meantime the singer doesn't know what to do and the other guy is just waiting or asking to play drums.

SUMMARY: I think the main problem is that these other 3 guys are very inexperienced in terms of playing with other people, and don't have the focus to actually write a song together. What can I do? (Side question: What should I say when they continuously plea to play drums even though they don't know how to? They cry that they don't have any drums at home so this is their only chance)
Yeah you can. You just gotta say "hey guys, I'm totally down to get this stuff written, but if we ain't writing then I ain't sticking around." Alternatively, you can say "hey, let's jam sometime whenever you have songs written and I'll throw a beat on top of it. Let me know when you're ready."
WTF? If you're the drummer tell them no and to learn the songs.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Tmusician
A major problem is that nobody plays drums, but everybody WANTS to play drums. No matter how much they may suck.

OH NO! Those people

I'm with my shadow on this one. People actually have to want to something, you can't make them focus (unfortunately).

Quote by boomershadow
Yeah you can. You just gotta say "hey guys, I'm totally down to get this stuff written, but if we ain't writing then I ain't sticking around." Alternatively, you can say "hey, let's jam sometime whenever you have songs written and I'll throw a beat on top of it. Let me know when you're ready."

Been there. Done that. Where the hell is my T-shirt?! If they actually give a damn, they will be like "woah, the only person we know who can actually play drums is gonna leave."
But if they are bent on screwing around they will do exactly that.

Try to offer to work with them. Set goals together. If they screw you around, screw them back. (that sounds terrible )
This is actually very helpful. I think I'll ask each one what their goals are for this thing, and that I won't stick around if they aren't going to take it serious.

Also it's a very good point that I am the only drummer they really know, so if I just left it would probably have a pretty big impact. I know that at least one of them wants to take this seriously, the lead guitarist.

Also I do say no to the them sometimes but the thing is that they ask ALL THE TIME. And they are my friends after all. They make it seem like I'm a bad guy and complain about how they don't have drums at home! Why does it have to be my problem! Buy some cheap drums!
You can get anyone to focus. You may just have to trick them into it.

Inviting them over just to hang out, have a few beers and let them mess around on the drums either individually or all together. Then explain to them if they want to learn the drums or get practice time on them, it will have to be not during band practice time. Yeah, it will be some added time for you and probably a little inconvenient, but they will most likely get bored with it.

As for practice, you probably need a few songs everyone knows. I know you want to write, but play a cover song or two to get everyone warmed up and into playing right away. At least until you have some stuff written that you can start with each time. Besides, it should include your singer right away and hopefully he will continue to contribute throughout the session.
Do all these guys think they're drummers, or do they all want to be the drummer in the band? It's wierd that they're guitarists, yet they have this compulsive urge to ditch that and play the drums. You're obviously better than them or you wouldn't be on the stool in the first place. Can't they just book the room out for themselves to play the drums? If I were you I'd ditch this lot, they sound like they're "playing" at being musicians and aren't focused at all.