I've been having some troubles with my guitar playing as of lately I feel I have lost my skills. I can't recall my basics and I'm just overall feeling shit playing guitar.

I'm into metal, (black,thrash,death,tech death) Anything really. I need some tips, theory anything to help me get back to a stage where I was.

I also want to improve my shredding (sweeping, scales etc.) I've been sick over the last couple of months and haven't played much guitar.

Thanks a lot guys!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

If I practiced too much, I would notice by sounding like shit.
Maybe you need to take a break or you have taken a too long break.
sounds like your stuck in a rut, i was until i was practicing watching tv and saw an add that had some dueling banjos sorta thing in it i sat there and worked it out and that sorta helped me to get out of a rut. so my advice is try learning something you normally wouldnt try or instead of using tabs all the time try working stuff out by ear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just start slow, work up again.
This.

Play slowly and perfectly. Analyze your movement to make sure you're using the least amount of energy required (picking, fretting notes, tapping notes, hammer-ons) so it will be easier when you increase your speed.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by KISSguitarist

I'm into metal, (black,thrash,death,tech death) Anything really. I need some tips, theory anything to help me get back to a stage where I was.

What did you do to get there before?
shred is gaudy music
What essential scales should I be re learning as I've lost all the material I previously had due to moving? Also can anyone recommend a song or two to learn to help with sweeping etc.?

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
What essential scales should I be re learning as I've lost all the material I previously had due to moving? Also can anyone recommend a song or two to learn to help with sweeping etc.?

The major scale, and the stickies in GT forum. Also, suggest a song thread at the top here.