I've recently brought a Peavey Vyper head from Thomman and was proper excited to get it but I've been having problems with it since I got it.

The main problem being I just can't achieve sufficient volume from the amp to even be able to play along with a drummer. I can put the master volume and post gain on full and it's still quiet. I thought I'd figured out the problem at first because I realized the amp had two sort of modes, once where the post-gain controlled the reverb but this turned out not to be the problem at all, I still can't get enough volume from it.

This is my first tube amp/head and it's extremely frustrating so if anyone could offer me any help on the issue I would be very grateful.
What model is it? Is it the tube or the 30 watt SS version?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Something is very wrong if it's still quiet with the master and pre gain all the way up. That thing should take your head off at those settings. Is it convenient to return it?
If that is the only option I could return it.
I was hoping there would be a solution cause I didn't want to be waiting for ages for it to return but if there's not then obviously it leaves me with little choice.
Being new to tube amps I figured I was just being stupid and there would be an easy solution.
Let's start off with the bare essentials.

Is the amp plugged into a speaker cab?

If yes, then are the tubes flickering or doing anything weird? If you tap them (gently) can you hear any weird noises come from the amp?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I don't actually have a cab at home to test with, but the amp was definitely plugged into a speaker cabinet on both band practices I have taken it to - I can get enough volume out of it to hear it if no one else is playing. As for the tubes I can't really tap them as there in a metal casing but all they seem to do when plugged in is glow a yellowy/orangey colour.
Is the cab the right impedance (ohms) for the head? Also don't play the amp without a cab plugged into it, you can blow the output transformer doing that. They're easy to replace, but expensive to do so. How would you describe the sound it makes, (thin, real bassy, trebly, etc)

Have you tried other guitars with it, and other cables?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I checked the impendence of the cab (8 ohms) and set the head to that yeah.
Do you mean I shouldn't turn the head on at all if it's not plugged into a cab? Like not even to listen to through headphones?
And yeah I tried my cable and guitar in a Bugera 333 head yesterday and it worked fine.
Quote by AoAXoX

Do you mean I shouldn't turn the head on at all if it's not plugged into a cab? Like not even to listen to through headphones?

Don't ever do that. Tube amps need a load to function properly. That load is speakers* If you've done that already - that could explain your problem.

*exceptions being load boxes, dummy loads, headphone taps, etc
I'm not sure about the headphone thing, I've never owned an amp with one and don't know if that qualifies as a proper load for the amp to work against. My guess would be "that's a no-no" but I'm not positive either. One of the local amp gurus *cough*Cathbard*cough* could probably tell you for sure .
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I see! well that's useful to know guys so thank you there but I hadn't tried it with headphones before I had the problem in the first place. I used to headphones to try and diagnose what was up with the head as I don't have a cab at home and obviously at practice we've got to get on with stuff. So, send it back?
The first thing that comes to mind is with the tubes are bad or the software is bad.

What I would do is get some contact cleaner, pull the power tubes one by one and spray the tube pins with contact cleaner. Let it dry for a minute and push them back in nice and snug. You can also try swapping some of the power tubes around. Make sure a cab is hooked up and try again. Watch the tubes tho - because if one of them get super bright red - shut the amp down and take it in. If you need some more help with this aspect maybe look at the The Only Valveking Thread post 4 or so.

I would also make sure you have the latest software. You can follow the guidelines at peavey.com on how to do this.

If you still have problems after this then exercise your warranty. I would make no mention of running the head without a cab - something like that will negate your warranty.