I'm looking for a pedal to give my clean tone a little more bite. I want something very mild, but noticeable. I play a lot of math rock (think Tera Melos) and need a little extra grit for heavier riffs. I looked at videos on Youtube of the tubescreamer/bad monkey/boss SD-1, but I couldn't get a good judge because everyone who uses those only plays blues riffs. Budget < $100. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
I own a bad monkey and I love it. Great pedal. I would not recommend the sd-1. I find that boss pedals are tonal black holes and I could never get a good tone out of the sd-1. I would also look at the danelectro overdrives. The cool cat series has two different pedals and they sound great.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
You could find an used Fulltone OCD for below 100. They do light to mild overdrive well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by jjbarnes
I own a bad monkey and I love it. Great pedal. I would not recommend the sd-1. I find that boss pedals are tonal black holes and I could never get a good tone out of the sd-1. I would also look at the danelectro overdrives. The cool cat series has two different pedals and they sound great.

^this

Also, youtube cant ever give you a proper and accurate representation of exactly what the pedal will sound like. Theres far too many variables like sound and camera quality, the mic placement, what amp is being used and its EQ settings etc
GEAR:
Jackson JS30KE
ESP EC 401FM
Ibanez RG 321MH
Peavey 6505+ 112

Brice HXB 405GL2TS
ESP B154DX
Ampeg BA-108

TC Electronics Polytune
Vox Classic Wah
So the Bad Monkey isn't all about blues? It would sound good with light rock?
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
Tubescreamers are awesome. A staple in any guitarists arsenal. Gives just enough kick behind any rhythm or lead line to make a regular riff sound so much more powerful. Well, that's just my experience with it.
I'm so torn between the Tubescreamer and Bad Monkey
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
Quote by Death_To_Emo
I'm so torn between the Tubescreamer and Bad Monkey

Let me add another device to your decision...

Adjust the boost knob so it matches volume, and it's got just a bit of bite.. I like it, and what your describing is just what I use it for...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Wampler Super Ecstasy. It is intended for precisely what you want - just a bit of bite. I think it's just called the Ecstasy now.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Dec 10, 2011,