Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me get some good sounding metalcore amp settings. I have a new 30 watt Marshall amp and its pretty loud. First real amp too. I play drop d metalcore but can never get any good settings. Thanks if anyone can help me with this. Yes I know you guys are getting tired of people asking for amp settings, sorry. I play on Schecters and Deans so they have the humbuckers and not single coils. I have a Schecter Damien 6 FR, Damien Elite Avenger FR, and a Dean EVO Special in the flame red finish. =] Whenever they come back out I might get the new Dean 79 Series V in classic white if its still in that finish. Hope they put more options on the guitars though that didn't come with Floyds.
I'm just gonna come out and say it, is your amp an MG?
EDIT: And yes, people are sick of settings threads because they're utterly, utterly pointless
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Last edited by Paddy McK at Dec 10, 2011,
You have all those guitars and don't know how to set your tone yet?

Just tweak the knobs dude, it's something you can find out for yourself.
The metalcore sound vary alot from band to band. What some have in common is much gain combined with less tone/ more treble. But I have never owned a Marshall amp so I can't tell you inputs or anything like that.
Still, I think discovering this sound by yourself would be a great learning experience for your amp setting knowledge. Just fool around with knobs and such, and you'll get good at it after a while.
Quote by Basti95
You have all those guitars and don't know how to set your tone yet?

+1
I just never really got into amp settings as I have now. And yes its a Marshall Mg amp but its the newer version so the CF series. Would gain at 10, bass 4, treble 8, and mid 5 1/2 be a good metalcore setting? I also have the volume and master volume set to 3 1/2.
Quote by xXxA7X~Fan07xXx
I just never really got into amp settings as I have now. And yes its a Marshall Mg amp but its the newer version so the CF series. Would gain at 10, bass 4, treble 8, and mid 5 1/2 be a good metalcore setting? I also have the volume and master volume set to 3 1/2.

Test it for yourself and develop your own sound for it...
This might do better in another forum, but what the hell.
Quote by xXxA7X~Fan07xXx
Would gain at 10, bass 4, treble 8, and mid 5 1/2 be a good metalcore setting

I don't know of any situation in which I'd put the gain at 10 - seems excessive to me regardless of the genre you're playing. I've never played a Marshall of any sort, but when you're trying to figure out where to leave the gain, make sure you're balancing out distortion and clarity. Leaving the gain on 10 seems like it'd just make the entire thing sound like an angry nest of bees. Personally my gain's right near halfway, but my amp has monstrous distortion so it's a big sound without sacrificing clarity; play around with the gain a bit, don't just max it out without a reason. Even my old amp (a Valveking) had the gain a little bit past halfway but I never even thought of leaving it on 10.

I'd put more bass in there, too - a lot of modern metal has a ton of emphasis on palm muted, drop-tuned rhythm parts so you're going to want some low end in your sound. Personally, I leave my mids fairly high and roll my treble back a bit, but that's because I don't want a high-end bit for lead playing. I can't give you exact settings, but if I were you I'd try some more bass and possibly mids depending on what sort of tone you're after.
The idea that you need insane amounts of gain to play metal needs to stop :/ I don't know anything about your amp specificity but i usually have my settings close to: bass 8, mids 4/5, and treble 5/6. or someweres around there. My gain is only at 6 or 7 max. I'm also using a Peavey so its a very different beast from a Marshall MG.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Dial everything to the left. Including volume.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I played around with this a bit just cause it really doesn't take too long to find a generic metalcore sound, here you go.

Bass at 6/7, mids you can scoop if you want but I don't, treble anywhere about 5, gain at around 5.

the difference between an ENGL and an MG is pretty huge, but you should be able to do at least decently with those settings, maybe a bit more gain needed.
@ :-D, thanks for the most professional answer. That gave me ideas. I mostly play drop d kinda stuff like Capture The Crown, We Came As Romans, stuff like that. I'll try your setting though. =] And yeah I play rhythm guitar too. I don't really like the Marshall MGCF series amps that much anymore. Heard a Bulgera 75 watt amp though while buying a new B.C. Rich guitar the other day and that amp sounded so badass and kicked my Marshall amp out of the water for sure. All I was trying to do was just get an idea not some troll comments. People needs to cut that out. Thanks for being easy on me though.
Gain 10, Bass 10, Mids 0, Treble 10
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Did you fall into a coma for three years or something? You do realize they all posted in Dec 2011 and you're just thanking them now. -I guess at least your late acknowledgment is better than none - barely

Anyway seeing as it was asked and answered (and these days would probably belong in the Electric Guitar forum) I'm gonna close it down.

Si