i'm sure there was a thread like this a few months back and it was a resounding vote against it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
What you should keep in mind is that most of the shredder DVD's out there, as far as I know, usually just gives you a bunch of licks that you're going to be playing with a metronome. If the only purpose is to improve speed and dexterity than yes, MAB's DVD's are great.

I've seen some of his instructional videos and he is a really great tutor when it's all about the technical side of guitar playing. When it comes to applying the licks you have learned to something else than the beat of a metronome, it gets harder.

My advice to you is, that if you're going to buy it, try to understand the theoretical side behind the different licks and riffs you learn as you are progressing through the DVD, and use them in different musical contexts.

Hope this helps
Quote by Dempsey68
i'm sure there was a thread like this a few months back and it was a resounding vote against it.

Ahh, good to know.
I wouldn't recommend it. I think he's a terrible teacher. He just likes to show off.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by kkquick
What you should keep in mind is that most of the shredder DVD's out there, as far as I know, usually just gives you a bunch of licks that you're going to be playing with a metronome. If the only purpose is to improve speed and dexterity than yes, MAB's DVD's are great.

I've seen some of his instructional videos and he is a really great tutor when it's all about the technical side of guitar playing. When it comes to applying the licks you have learned to something else than the beat of a metronome, it gets harder.

My advice to you is, that if you're going to buy it, try to understand the theoretical side behind the different licks and riffs you learn as you are progressing through the DVD, and use them in different musical contexts.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Goos info
My understanding of the vast majority of "instructional videos", particularly those by rockers, is that it's the artist playing to the tracks of some of their songs, and then breaking down a lick or two from it at a slower tempo (and sometimes the "slower" version isn't slowed down enough), and if you're lucky it comes with tab. They don't generally make for good guitar *lessons*. It's more like a spotlight session for the artist.

That said, Paul Gilbert is a better teacher than Batio and Yngwie.
Quote by Brainpolice2
My understanding of the vast majority of "instructional videos", particularly those by rockers, is that it's the artist playing to the tracks of some of their songs, and then breaking down a lick or two from it at a slower tempo (and sometimes the "slower" version isn't slowed down enough), and if you're lucky it comes with tab. They don't generally make for good guitar *lessons*. It's more like a spotlight session for the artist.

That said, Paul Gilbert is a better teacher than Batio and Yngwie.

Yngwie <3 is such a douche! "Now im gonna play it really slow" "shreds the **** out of a harminc minor scale in 16ths at 200 bpm..." looks at the camera like he is bored..

Thread Hijack! Any of you guys have the Frank Gambale Sweep/Speed Picking Dvd ?
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 10, 2011,
Paul Gilbert.

Better technique than MAB, better teacher and a really nice guy.

I would always choose his dvd's over MAB's