Page 1 of 7
Challenge has started and will end on Jan 1st, 2012. You can sign up at any time still, but this thread and your time limit will end on Jan 1st.

I got a task for everyone. You get three weeks starting tomorrow (sunday 11th, dec 2011) to complete something very difficult, or atleast challenging. You'll sign up below with whatever you're aiming to complete and report your progress either throughout or at the end of the challenge, january 1st, 2012.

If you wanted to complete a challenge under pressure now's your chance. The challenge can be anything, really, like benching 10 kg more, learn a song, finish a book, write an essay etc. So we'll all be better men/women/pitmonkeys. Feel free to take a look at the below list of challenges to get inspiration.

State your challenge and if you want: why you're doing it.

I'm going to learn french and/or portugese. Why? Because I started learning portugese in Brazil and I learned quite a bit. I don't intend to lose the knowledge I gained so I'm going to keep on studying. I'm going to learn french because why the hell not.

Please put your name and challenge in this format:

My name - My challenge(s) in a short description

Example:
Kensai - Learn french and portugese

Participants:

Kensai - Learn french and portugese, finish all my coursework, go to bed before midnight every night (unless this conflicts with previous point), learn atleast one full song on the piano
add_g - Get more excersize at nights, Study for finals, Finish two drawings
Banjocal - revise for college.
Greenie_777 - "Gonna get my 1.5 mile run time to at least 8:50. That's 20 seconds better than my previous personal best."
Basti95 - go on a successful date with girl I like (= get gf) + get some kind of band + do better at school yer lazy bum.
Mistress_Ibanez - Teach poetry
Mr.Pink101 - Three way kiss with 2 girls through the new years countdown.
Blake 1221 - become one with nature and understand trees
institutions - learn Buckethead's 'Ghost'
miss_muso~ - A whole bunch of stuff
Dave_Mc - restring some of my guitars
MakinLattes - "Go through my calculus book. I've gotten up to chapter ten this week, seven more to go. I also need to come up with a thesis topic so I can hopefully work towards an honors degree."
Dempsey68 - be more positive
Lespauljames - lose a stone.
justinb904 - gain 5 pounds, 30 sec off my mile time, be able to do with good form 5 rep sets of pistol squats and 20 rep sets hanging leg raises
Joey-Tribiani - Transcride by ear atleast 10 choruses of John Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps.
lfcagger - Finally finish my grade 2 theory book, which I've been horribly neglecting, and get my sextuplet alternate picking speed over 85 bpm.
jakesmellspoo - recording some rough demos and finding a job, steal a baby jesus from a manger and/or a "keep christ in christmas sign"
Hidden Hippo - Run 50km.
ali.guitarkid7 - Find a dealer, Record at least 5 songs with 'jam buddies', Get something published, Excel at EQing, Buy Skyrim
conor-figgy - Learn to read music to a basic degree, Get money for a trombone, somehow..., Ask out the girl I've been pining after.
RU Experienced? - "I'm going to drink all this beer with no negative social or judicial consequences."
_me_ - Add 5kgs to both my snatch and clean and jerk.
SlayingDragons- Write a wardriving program
Minkaro - 1. Finish reading Game of Thrones, 2. Write at least one song
jwax - go to school, pass history, do mah p90x...
That_Hot_Guy - Reach level 30 in League of Legends.....currently 21
Snowman388 - Get so drunk that I forget what happened all week. Why? Because schnapps.
ErikLensherr - Lose 10 lbs. Submit all finals coursework on time and do well on finals.
WhiskeyFace- Be able to do a lot of push ups (can't think of a suitable number)
TheReverend724- Write a new bansheebeat EP
iantheman - -Be off book (including monologues) for Much Ado About Nothing, 50 consecutive push-ups, Finish my college applications
G.Krizzel - learn at least 4 hours for the exams every day
imbo111 - get good at guitar
tcg32428 - Finish applying for a Navy base internship.
TheTee56-I will write everything said in History class, and then post it here in the Pit.
behind_you - fight off procrastination and finally start working out
That Old Geezer - Get my band to have its first practice and get together 30 minutes of original material for an upcoming battle of the bands.
VillainousLatin - Lose 10 lbs.
Slipknot5678- This Post
jazz_rock_feel - Learn python/java
Cal UK - Try and learn 'Before the Beginning' by John Frusciante.
TheTones - Get Above 70% on my maths test. Learn songs on bass.
'Merican - Kick my addiction to cigs, learn to play "Cough Syrup" by Young The Giant on bass and find a girlfriend.
metharian - Finish Studying for my first CSC exam/ Gets at leasts 70s in Calc 2 and Linear Algebra 2
hazzmatazz - Read my reading pile of 8 books; learn more about cooking and nutrition and start exercising again.
Merlene - Apply for some jobs and hopefully get accepted by one.
Green_Ghoul - Try and write at least one song/riff/poem every day, not gain weight
GuideToGenocide - Start working out again, sign up for college, be more polite to everyone and stop being annoyed by stupid people.
goest - I challenge myself to finish writing (and at least start recording) one of the four albums I've got planned out.
river.wild - Get fuggin fit and record me some shit.
Metallicuh- get better at Kickflipping,
The_Sophist - I'll jump on the write a song wagon. Put in that it has to have three movements and one key change.
moscaespañol - learn "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" in its entirety.
So-Cal - Finish 2 songs that I'm working on and write at least 2 more trip hop songs that I will release on a free ep in january. Go to bed before midnight and get up when my alarm goes off rather than just ignoring it.
Butthurt© - Get the girl I like to go on a date with me
ctb - To go to bed before 22:30pm (GMT) every night.
yoman297 - Get a girl or close to it (a hug that's more than friendly should be enough for me); Put a couple of my songs on GP and show it to my buds and stuff.
Blimpy19 - Hitch-hike from one side of Australia to the other.
Flanders_91 - Lose 30lbs, and get laid.
Sagati - Study even when I'm not in classes, start going to the gym again and get a girlfriend.
ChamsRock - Lose ~10 pounds and write at least one full song.
jwizzle5786 - Write 30,000 words for my book; Lose ten pounds
MetallicSka - Get with the girl I like, and to try and get more sleep.
Scowmoo - All of this
entity0009 - All of this
jetfuel495 - Produce an original track that doesn't suck.
Lobyte - All of this
Alex_WK - learn to windmill (dance move, doesn't involve my penis)
Jettski1- write a complete song, start to finish, with guitar, bass, drums, and singing (which should be very hard, because I have no drumset and I only have a right handed bass)
SG_Dave - Build a desktop PC from scratch for the first time.
guitar_fingers - All of this
WishfulShredder - Try and get this album/ep recorded...
Stugg334 - Make this holiday the best 'un of my life. Get a bj from my gf at midnight at New Year's party.
I.O.T.M - Learn all of the Rocket to Russia album and write a script/plan a short film.
s0n1c '97 - Learn enough german to get around, and maybe a little russian. Idk why. I just feel like it.
Gorelord666 - Be more positive without having to take my meds. Why? Because...
BeefWellington - No swearing (at all), Go to bed before midnight.
Hasok - have a date whit the girl of Facebook.
isabiggles - Kiss a girl, if successful... follow up with sexy time*
JD2k9 - Get with a girl. Kick a Jehovah's Witness in the nads.Make my first dubstep track b)get 50 downloads
Eastwinn - Complete a nice looking flash game and publish it online while not failing my worst course.
Somekid94 - All of this
guitarxo - All of this
Crazyedd123 - All of this
anthonyfleaRHCP - I want to be awake and jogging at 5:30 every morning, and finish my half-assed songs.

Since this post can't contain any more text, the participants list will continue in this post:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28701629&postcount=33
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Dec 16, 2011,
Interesting. Good luck with that Kensai.

add_g - Get more excersize at nights
Banjocal - revise for college.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Gonna get my 1.5 mile run time to at least 8:50. That's 20 seconds better than my previous personal best.
Mr.Pink - Three way kiss with 2 girls through the new years countdown.

Kinda jokingly got 2 good friends of mine to say we would... not sure how serious they were?
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm doing mine on Monday actually - teaching poetry for 100 minutes. I know **** all about poetry

Awww, I would love doing that.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm doing mine on Monday actually - teaching poetry for 100 minutes. I know **** all about poetry
Just bang on about William Blakes use of metaphors to describe human behaviour People eat that shit up.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Just bang on about William Blakes use of metaphors to describe human behaviour People eat that shit up.

Eh I kind of have a plan. William Blake isn't one of the poets I'll be looking at, but I have a vague idea of how to fill the time
Quote by blake1221
Blake - become one with nature and understand trees

as a tree wizard myself, i can tell you that you probably won't get much out of it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I would say learn a bit of Japanese, but this occurs over winter break when people will be home to hear me...

I've never been that good at guitar and have never learned a full song.
So i'd like to learn Buckethead's 'Ghost'.
I have to:
- Write a poem for my friend Joe (as in proper, biographical, charming, recitable, verses and verses, dedicated and performed)
- Survive three weeks of music camp/festival until New Years'
- Learn some Scandy tunes and South American songs
- Perform at a big local festival.

I also desperately want to:
- Dance tango until I'm up to scratch again;
- Be kissed. Or have something vaguely romantic aimed at me. I don't even care anymore. Just something!

Sorry for such a list, I have a lot on in the next few weeks. Be selective if need be, Kensai.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that last one, in terms of the challenge; I need to balls up and encourage that kind of behaviour. Or whatever it is one needs to do to excite someone's affections.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Last edited by miss_muso~ at Dec 10, 2011,
Sounds cool, I like a challange every now and then... I just need to think of something realistic to do in 3 weeks.
can i have a crack at solving the israel/palestine problem?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go through my calculus book. I've gotten up to chapter ten this week, seven more to go. I also need to come up with a thesis topic so I can hopefully work towards an honors degree.
Quote by theogonia777
as a tree wizard myself, i can tell you that you probably won't get much out of it.

Then I change my challenge to a rigorous tutelage under Theogonia, thine tree wizard.
last year i set myself a 6 week challenge to learn as much latin as i could, just because it's a cool language.

so i bought the rosetta stone: latin edition and off i went. was good and enjoyable xD

this time round i would maybe try and lose 14lbs in 3 weeks but that's a bit ridiculous because 1. i like food too much
2. i work 7-7 monday to friday so will never have time
and
3. all the food we have in from this weeks shop are all fatty but nice things :P

so my 3-week-challenge for myself is to be more positive
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Oh, I got a bunch I'll be working on

justinb904 - gain 5 pounds, 30 sec off my mile time, be able to do with good form 5 rep sets of pistol squats and 20 rep sets hanging leg raises
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Ali: Learn to use the force, then learn the dark side of the force.

That or get baked, you have no idea how much of a challenge that's become these days where I am.
Quote by Lespauljames
lose a stone.

can't be that hard to lose a stone, just forget where you set it

actually i guess for a serious one, i could restring some of my guitars. that doesn't sound that hard, but you guys don't know how hard i suck at restringing (and how awesome i am at procrastinating).

can i backdate it a couple of days? i restrung a couple of guitars over the past few days, so that way even if i do nothing it still looks like i accomplished teh task
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

can i backdate it a couple of days? i restrung a couple of guitars over the past few days, so that way even if i do nothing it still looks like i accomplished teh task

I was gonna say write and record a song, but I just finished
I have trouble restringing due to funds. !

GL everyone.
Okay, I've got it: I want to write my own wardriving* program, with versatile logs and options, while still being simple and straight-forward. For educational purposes, of course.

I've been meaning to do it for a while, so yeah. Might as well start now. I'll most likely be writting it in python.

*Wardriving: Monitoring and logging wireless access points from a car, variations include warwalking and warboarding.
Can we have a success thread where we all report back with essays on how we achieved our goals?
Quote by blake1221
Can we have a success thread where we all report back with essays on how we achieved our goals?

Sure, I do that after every lesson anyway
Quote by blake1221
Then I change my challenge to a rigorous tutelage under Theogonia, thine tree wizard.

this is going to be a long three weeks.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by blake1221

No essays please.
Quote by blake1221

i didn't sign up for that?!?!!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Participants-list continuation:

Ostinattos - Finish the last chapter of my thesis. Start learning drums
WCPhils - I am going to start learning the drums.
Xiaoxi - I'm gonna try to write a fugue between the end of the semester (next week) and NYE.
Saint78 - I will obtain a better recording device and record, produce, and release my first song.
pingustar06 - Lose an inch of stomach, continue learning Over the Hills and Far Away until I can play it without looking at my notes.
Ichikurosaki - I will attain CHIM
LolCatGuitar - All of this
Tuneraddict - Get 3 letter of reccomendation for Graduate school and submit the applications.
samick007 - I need to get back into running so I don't get fat, and I'd like to do well in my first archery competition.
KnightBand - I'd like to enter late into this...my goal is to lose 5 pounds by January 1st.
AdamDK - All of this
Tentonics- Revise and understand all of accounting book and smoke no cigarettes.
StewieSwan - Run at least 4 mornings every week
Twist of fate - Get more shows then take a road trip down to Florida
Thrashtastic - Write 5 songs, mix them into a live set and have the whole thing not suck
MidniteHaze - Get over 30 different classic metal lps for his collection.
Mr.Cuddles - I'm going to finish my bands E.P. And hook up with this chick I know. I'm also going to quit smoking.
laid-to-waste - get 4 A grades in my subject AS levels with 100% in maths
burghUK - Tell a hippy student protester to "get a job"
Killer Bob 912 - Master lucid dreaming
Grimriffer - Build a time machine go back in time, kill god and become god
Crofty89 - All of this
Ganoosh - All of this
theguitarist - Master baking
Guodlca - Learn Rachmaninov's op. 23 no. 2 by heart, play Chopin's Revolutionary etude fluently.

I've put everyone up in the OP. Let me know if something's wrong.

Also if you could put your name and challenge in an easy format I'd appreciate it. Like

[My name] - My challenge in a sentence of a few.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Put you up for "teach poetry". I suggest adding "beat kjell at wordfeud" to the list

Quote by Dave_Mc
can't be that hard to lose a stone, just forget where you set it

actually i guess for a serious one, i could restring some of my guitars. that doesn't sound that hard, but you guys don't know how hard i suck at restringing (and how awesome i am at procrastinating).

Sorry, no backdating
But you've got your work paved out for you. The israeli/palestine thing might be more difficult.

Quote by blake1221

Er.. it's gonna be a lot of reading. But I can make a success thread and you can all share your stories. With pics. It's optional.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Dec 16, 2011,
Im in.

Joey-Tribiani - Transcride by ear atleast 10 choruses of John Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps.

Im ****ed.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by theogonia777
this is going to be a long three weeks.

I'm ready, sensei.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
No essays please.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i didn't sign up for that?!?!!

Pansies
Finally finish my grade 2 theory book, which I've been horribly neglecting, and get my sextuplet alternate picking speed over 85 bpm.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
put me down for recording some rough demos and finding a job
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Run 50km. Not all in one go, but I've let running slip a bit over the past few weeks/months. I used to do about 25km a week, but am currently doing about 10km at most.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Kensai

Sorry, no backdating
But you've got your work paved out for you. The israeli/palestine thing might be more difficult.

you haven't seen me trying to restring

but yeah i mean obviously the israel palestine thing was a joke
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Disregard my previous post, here are the challenges I'd like to put:

Ali - Find a dealer
- Record at least 5 songs with 'jam buddies'
- Get something published
- Excel Get better at EQing