Someone near me is selling a Fender PBAC-100 fretless bass. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks pretty cool.
Those were made for a few years in Japan for Fender. You also see them listed as Fender Precision A/Es. Active electronics with a piezo bridge. One of those odd ball things that came out of the MIJ line in the 1990s.

How much are they asking for it?

edit:

Last edited by anarkee at Dec 10, 2011,
That's about right for price. I've seen them go for 700-900 bucks on Ebay depending on condition.

Is this your first bass btw?
It could be my first bass.. It's a more than I'd like to spend and I don't know how it sounds or anything.
Myself, I wouldn't recommend that as a first bass. You really should be looking towards more of a workhorse bass. If you are drawn towards Fenders, the Vintage Modified (or VM Series) are great basses, well made and about half the price. Remember you are going to need an amp for the bass as well and if 600 USD is your budget, then you have 300 USD towards a good solid bass amp that will serve you well.

The Fender AGB fretless' sound is the traditional "mwah" you hear with most fretless. Fretless can be a bit challenging when you are just starting out on bass, though it's doable.
I've been play for about 5 months (I'm renting a bass from my local music store).
I have probably $800 to spend on bass AND amp. I've play some of the VM Squiers and none of them have really that amazing. The best bass I tried was a Squier fretless Jazz bass, but I don't think I want fretless for now.
With your budget, you really have a wide range of options both used and new. So what didn't you like about the VMs? What do you like in a bass? If you can give us some specifics, we can point you towards some options. However, in the end, try out any bass you can before you buy....
Quote by anarkee
With your budget, you really have a wide range of options both used and new. So what didn't you like about the VMs? What do you like in a bass? If you can give us some specifics, we can point you towards some options. However, in the end, try out any bass you can before you buy....

None of the VMs I played felt good to me.

I (or would like to) play almost everything. Rock, jazz, indie, funk, slap n' pop. So a versatile bass would be good. I was thinking of getting a Jazz bass, so I'll have to try some more VM or regular ones. And I'll have more money in a bit, so maybe a mexican made one.
well, maybe you didn't try a VM jazz... i disliked the VM precision i've tried too...

however, i think a jazz bass is a nice entry bass. maybe you should look the washburn taurus series... i liked them alos, even though i prefered the Squier. both are good basses, and the taurus is a little more dark sounding, and that is what i didn't like too much...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
are you renting an upright? Fretless especially unlined takes a great hand and a better ear. If you're already on an upright go ahead, but for a funky indie etc, a fretted P or J is great