Poll: What's your country's education system like?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your country's education system like?
Factory-line- kids as economic produce
23 21%
Open minded- freethinking is emphasized
36 33%
Apathy- the teachers do not give a rat's ass about students
39 36%
I brang guns to school
10 9%
Voters: 108.
So, the education system in my country is really messed up.

Ever since I was a wee lad I was persecuted into becoming either a doctor or an engineer. That's how it works, here in India. You either aspire to become a doctor or an engineer or you are bullied and beaten by your teachers.

Its basically like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFDOue9_dj8

(Background: Taare Zameen Par is an award winning movie showcasing the plight of children, especially children with learning disabilities in the Indian School system. This video is a one minute encapsulation of the Indian Education System)

Does your country's education system promote free thinking and holistic development or does it basically squeeze your balls directly or indirectly into becoming a productive member of the economy?

Poll attached.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

The K-12 system here is a joke for the most part, it's just a hoop people have to jump through to get into post-secondary. The unis and colleges are pretty good (as good as anywhere else I guess), but as far as early education goes I wouldn't say it inspires kids to learn.
Over here I would say that though it is open-minded, people are somewhat looked down on if they don't try to achieve something impressive or higher than others. Not always the case, as some or many don't care, but people are quite prejudiced towards less advanced subjects, even if they aren't vocal about it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Woffelz
That video.

Speaking of which, I got suspended from University for a week for seding the video to everyone in my University list-serve.

I guess that's another aspect of the education system. They **** with those who they think are "over-smart".
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

My education definitely promoted free thinking and individual development. I had excellent teachers. USA, btw.
My God, it's full of stars!
The school system change in India is coming soon, I promise. Have got the right approach to fixing it once and for all, though I won't be starting my campaign for change for another couple of years. The trick is to not involve the bureaucracy, because asking for permission in India is akin to asking for punishment... for doing the right thing. The trick is also to engineer a bottom-up approach, based on the city/colony, and expanding it up to the locality/district, then to the state, then to the nation - not the other way around. The cheapo street "Engineering" schools need to go. The ridiculous competition through K-12 needs to change. College cannot be seen as an end-all for parental responsibility in education. The culture needs to change. But it can be done, and it will be done.

I know your pain bro, it sucks out there. Keep persevering. Engineer, not for some outsourcer trying to take advantage of you, but for yourself and your community. Or set up a small clinic on your street and spend 2 of your 8 hours serving the poor for free. Do what you need to be doing until help comes. And it will.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
That sounds like it'd be pretty terrible for students who don't like science or math. I've never felt pressured either way.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Tell you what, get that PHD as a Radiology Physician, move to the USA, and call me. There's a $50,000 dollar signing bonus for me for one of them. $25,000 as soon as you are hired and the rest after a year. We'll split it.

Or, be an starving artist. Your choice.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
Tell you what, get that PHD as a Radiology Physician, move to the USA, and call me. There's a $50,000 dollar signing bonus for me for one of them. $25,000 as soon as you are hired and the rest after a year. We'll split it.

Help a condescending dickhead on an internet forum or not? Hmm. Hard choice.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
^ It's true. I'm not joking about the bonus. Wish they had pushed math and science in my school when I was a kid.

$50,000 signing bonus. Money isn't everything but... doctor's never do too badly no matter what the economy is.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Last edited by mystical_1 at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by shattamakar

Ever since I was a wee lad I was persecuted into becoming either a doctor or an engineer. That's how it works, here in India. You either aspire to become a doctor or an engineer or you are bullied and beaten by your teachers.

Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Went to a decent secondary school. In between learning about language, mathematics, physics et cetera history teachers have taught me to learn from the past and be careful of trusting sources, Dutch/English teachers have taught me how to express myself, read between the lines and appreciate books and poetry more, my political science teacher has taught me to expect the worst from governments and art teachers have taught me to be creative.

Most of it was pretty boring though.

I like our system. At the end of primary school a semi-mandatory end test and teachers decide which kids are the brightest. With these evaluations it's decided to which of the three levels of secondary school kids go. This means kids are among others of somewhat equal talent and get an education that fits them, instead of having to try to teach the Steve Hawkings and Patrick Stars at the same time. There's no worrying about extra credit classes, you just have to pass. Passing the highest level grants you access to universities (providing you took the right subjects for the course) and the other two can get you into lower levels of tertiary ed.

The downside is that this promotes laziness. If all you have to do is pass and you're managing that easily, what's to motivate you doing extra work?
Quote by shattamakar

Its basically like this :

(Background: Taare Zameen Par is an award winning movie showcasing the plight of children, especially children with learning disabilities in the Indian School system. This video is a one minute encapsulation of the Indian Education System)

Does your country's education system promote free thinking and holistic development or does it basically squeeze your balls directly or indirectly into becoming a productive member of the economy?

Poll attached.

Haha. As soon as I read the topic, I knew what it was about. Maybe you should've mentioned "3 Idiots" too, fits better into what you are saying.

Btw, Hi. I am also an engineer. Glad to see someone else pissed about this system and not glorifying the walking calculators called IITians.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
I'm very satisfied with the education system in my country as far as high schools go.
The elementary school I visited had a couple of teachers that shouldn't be allowed to teach but I have the feeling that my school was a rotten apple amongst good or at least decent ones.
And I have yet to experience college, so I can't really give you info on that.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
That sucks TS.

Here in the U.S. the school system is messed up but not terrible, however, it benefits some people way more than others. I'd say it generally promotes free thought academically, but they teach us all to be the same outside of that. Here it's not the school system that makes us feel pressured. It's society as a whole and parents that pressure us. I'm basically treated like an idiot for not wanting a stupid business degree and for not wanting to conform to their idea of "success" (money and power, which they bitch about). In any case, this is much easier to ignore than the legitimate problems India faces.
K-12 education in the United States is an abysmal cesspool and a complete and utter embarrassment. Those who receive a barely-acceptable education are almost universally white, middle class or richer, and from the suburbs. Their parents are almost always college educated. Or, they went to private school.

Post secondary education is a largely an extortion racket, but there are a few dozen schools (out of the thousands of institutions) that have adopted pedagogical standards that aren't pathetic and antiquated.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
At least we have P.E., Skittles. But then again, P.E. is useless because the kids are eating refined GMO corn in high fat, high calorie diets.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
At least we have P.E., Skittles. But then again, P.E. is useless because the kids are eating refined GMO corn in high fat, high calorie diets.

I thought everyone has P.E.
I hate it and love it at the same time. I'm pretty horrible at sports and our school has pretty high standards when it comes to PE grading. But our PE professor resembles a drill sargeant* and nothing makes me feel more alive than to see arrogant loudmouth firstgraders lose their guts in the gymnasium when they experience high school PE standards fot the first time.
*spelled wrong

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by darkstar2466
The school system change in India is coming soon, I promise. Have got the right approach to fixing it once and for all, though I won't be starting my campaign for change for another couple of years. The trick is to not involve the bureaucracy, because asking for permission in India is akin to asking for punishment... for doing the right thing. The trick is also to engineer a bottom-up approach, based on the city/colony, and expanding it up to the locality/district, then to the state, then to the nation - not the other way around. The cheapo street "Engineering" schools need to go. The ridiculous competition through K-12 needs to change. College cannot be seen as an end-all for parental responsibility in education. The culture needs to change. But it can be done, and it will be done.

I know your pain bro, it sucks out there. Keep persevering. Engineer, not for some outsourcer trying to take advantage of you, but for yourself and your community. Or set up a small clinic on your street and spend 2 of your 8 hours serving the poor for free. Do what you need to be doing until help comes. And it will.

I am a third year Law Student in an at least purportedly progressive Law Academy. However, I came from an orthodox, constricted Primary School backgroud. One of the few success stories of my life is the counter-culturalism I engrained through the oppressive fact that I was being cut and cubed into an engidoctor.

Yes, I am very aware that most kids here are languishing in third grade institution that subvert their true interest into a dull paycheck. Glad to see that there are more of us out there who want to truly change this country, bottom up.

I am currently helping draft a PIL against the IT Moderation regulations being brought into force here. I love my freedom of expression (and 4Chan) too much to ever let the bill get passed.

Inquilab Zindabad!
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Last edited by shattamakar at Dec 10, 2011,
India is also losing its arts. For a country known for its rich culture in sculpture, dance, music, and philosophy, it has truly become a slave country and a whipped-ass shithole by embracing America's worst principles: power&wealth as the scale for success, consumerism/brand as the motivational factor of existence, and abandonment of traditional art forms for digital ones. With a loss for culture, the average Indian really has nothing unique about him. If anything, he is a slightly pathetic follower of ambiguous contemporary-culture that has no metrics for self contentment.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I went to both highschool and gradeschool in Ontario, Canada. I was diagnosed two learning disabilities in grade four, and the schools were almost always extremely supportive. Every once in a while I'd get a teacher that wouldn't let me do the specific things I had to do to function in class, but they were few and far between and always ended up losing to my mom once the arguments started.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by darkstar2466
India is also losing its arts. For a country known for its rich culture in sculpture, dance, music, and philosophy, it has truly become a slave country and a whipped-ass shithole by embracing America's worst principles: power&wealth as the scale for success, consumerism/brand as the motivational factor of existence, and abandonment of traditional art forms for digital ones. With a loss for culture, the average Indian really has nothing unique about him. If anything, he is a slightly pathetic follower of ambiguous contemporary-culture that has no metrics for self contentment.

I ****ing hate the fact that I am trying to play Rosetta Stoned on my tiny laptop speakers right here and those rich, spoilt hostel neighbours of mine are listening to Lil Wayne on a ginormous speaker system.

Oh man, this some instant praxis right here.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Quote by shattamakar
Speaking of which, I got suspended from University for a week for seding the video to everyone in my University list-serve.

I guess that's another aspect of the education system. They **** with those who they think are "over-smart".

What the hell? What did you do that was SO WRONG?!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Education system is fine, but it seems some teachers are somehow trained to supress freethinking. Maybe they just like showing students that they can f* with them, as long as they're the ones giving grades. 70% of the teachers are fine, though.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Woffelz
What the hell? What did you do that was SO WRONG?!

Well, they did not deem it appropriate that this video was sent to the vice-chancellor of our University...So they suspended me. Apparently, they don't get post-modern humor :p

On the bright side, I got the opportunity to come back and rant on the Pit after nearly two years.

I wonder how America's education system varies from state to state. Surely, the education in New York can't be the same as say, Texas..

Curiosity ensues..
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

somewhere between

total apathy
and
i brang guns
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by mystical_1

Such an egregiously false dichotomy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I think there was quite a few teachers back at high school just wanted to teach us what we needed to know and go home for the day, didn't have too much investment. I'd be lying though if I said there wasn't some phenomenal teachers though who actually cared about you, your learning and your future.

If the student didn't care though, neither did they.
Quote by darkstar2466

I think this is becoming an international problem. Due to economic inequality and such, India faces more problems and students are likely under more pressure to become engineers and doctors to maintain their position in the middle class. Although the country I live in (the United States) does not face this issue, our culture and education has become the same way. I think it is a tragedy. America has an actual culture, but is no longer valued. For many people (including my family, unfortunately), consumerism and the desire for wealth and power have become our main principles, let alone our worst principles.

Of course, this has spread all across the world. As a result, people are becoming less interested in the arts, and legitimately trying to improve the world. This has a negative effect on American (and worldwide, but I can't speak for the whole world) education. It is no longer about moving forward while learning the subject you want to. It's become about becoming "successful" and getting "good jobs". Of course, I have the choice to learn what I want, but it's becoming more and more discouraged. This is perfect for the growing emphasis on consumerism, and as a result most of the world's cultures are suffering.

/rant.
I think for the most part teachers focused their attention on the kids who needed it the most. I'm sure they cared about all their students but obviously they only have so much time for individual attention.

That said, the educational curriculum itself is focused on memorization and test-taking to ensure the schools get their funding but that's another problem entirely.
Quote by slipknot5678
Of course, this has spread all across the world. As a result, people are becoming less interested in the arts, and legitimately trying to improve the world. This has a negative effect on American (and worldwide, but I can't speak for the whole world) education. It is no longer about moving forward while learning the subject you want to. It's become about becoming "successful" and getting "good jobs". Of course, I have the choice to learn what I want, but it's becoming more and more discouraged. This is perfect for the growing emphasis on consumerism, and as a result most of the world's cultures are suffering.

America is in itself a religion. You either buy into it or you don't. And sometimes the religion is honest, and sometimes it's not. It's when the two negatives collide, when America is being dishonest and its people aren't buying into it, is when you have trouble.

Unfortunately, this particular cycle of political turmoil, 2001- present, built around fearmongering, spying, and future energy reserves, also coincided with the rise of the modern set of technologies (namely person to person networking and touchscreen interactions), which have their own qualms of global adjustment as the world adjusts itself to a biological and digital world where digital things happen to matter just as much as the biological ones. This rise of technology is also the rise of higher speciation among human groups as we tailor our bodies to the machines. Even more unfortunately, all of the above coincided with the collapse of the economic systems, as they weren't kept right because of greed, corruption, and everything else evil about manipulating the extent of interest and leverage in credit/debit systems.

So you can see how America fucked the world in that regard...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
That's because last time an Indian became a Hollywood movie director, he wouldn't stop putting stupid plot twists everywhere.

jokes
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
That's because last time an Indian became a Hollywood movie director, he wouldn't stop putting stupid plot twists everywhere.

jokes

Sigh.

I agree. After seeing Avtar The Last Airbender (or the lack thereof), I wanted to throw a slipper at him.

At least Kalpen Modi is making a good name for himself
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

When the ironic option in the poll is doing well, you know your institution has problems.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Nah, over here we're just lied to and told to take bullshit courses even though they don't mean a thing on a resume. All the while some of your buddies are in Alberta making 80k right out of high school and are just gonna come back in a few years and take online courses and bullshit their way through to get some degree and get a real job. Essentially making tons of money from the get-go and then using it quite simply just to get that piece of paper to get a real job for when they grow tired, because everyone knows it's all you need, that piece of paper. Oh, you want to be an electric engineer, well, here's the insurance broker position. Ah, ok.
I have noticed that success has been measured based on the money you'll make. I'm currently a junior in high school, and the time is coming right fast where I have to decide my major. I've brought up several majors where people have told me, "that's where the money's at!" It bugs me a lot more than it probably should. The annual salary shouldn't be why you do something, but that's what I feel like society and schools push for, the money you'll make.