Do you guys do exercises, or learn songs for technique, which one is more effective to do?
Play as much as you can
Exercises are good (scales, speed exercises etc)
Learning to play other people's solos is useful
but seriously, just PLAY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, thats what I did, you'll pick up some things along the way!
Quote by OtherGuy
Play as much as you can
Exercises are good (scales, speed exercises etc)
Learning to play other people's solos is useful
but seriously, just PLAY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, thats what I did, you'll pick up some things along the way!

This is just true to some extent. But NEVER play just for the sake of playing, it'll just make you play half-heartedly and therefore badly. You lose confidence, patience and it's generally counter-productive.
You know when you see a music video on TV for a song you like, maybe something you've been learning on guitar, and get all psyched and run to play full of energy and adrenaline? Inspiration, that's what you want.
Then it's down to what kind of practice you do, but there's no rule there: just alternate between playing covers, improvising, working on specific techniques you want to improve (you do this by making up short sequences of notes, according to your specific needs, and repeating them). Have fun, that's the most constructive tip you'll hear.
The best way to learn technique is listen to everything Freepower says. His video on muting really helped, even though it's insanely hard (my technique blows).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by :-D
Music and insane technical exercise all in one.

Haha, that's immediately what I thought the first time I watched the DVD G3 Live in Tokyo.