Hi, I haven't posted here in so long... again. But my amp just encountered some major problems. It is a jcm 900 dl 4100 and im looking to invest in something new. I don't play metal or anything heavy or crunchy. Think really early jimmy eat world/cap'n'jazz/at the drive in, that's the kind of tone im going for.

What I liked about the Marshall was the loud, messy, vintage sounding, not a lot of preamp gain, sounding distortion. I want an amp that can do that, although the 900's distortion was too thin. So something that sounds warmer would be good, but without a lot of pre-amp gain, the more volume driven vintage sound is something I'd like to be able to achieve.

For cleans I just want something with a decent clean setting, with headroom, that can also dirty up, which is how I play cleans about half of the time, but still resonate and sound good.

Not interested in solid state. All tube, I'll consider a combo or a head. Minimum 30 watts, preferably something around 50w. I'm not looking to spend a WHOLE LOT..... I play in a band so it needs to be loud. I'd like something with eq settings for both clean and distortion channels. I really prefer something made in the 90's or before, vintage amps seem like they sound neater than newer ones, I could be wrong though.
Suggest any amp/brand of amps.
I've been back and forth between marshalls, fenders, vox's, prs's. And I'm not good at deciding these things without playing, so if you're knowledgeable about amps, it would be cool if you could point me in the right direction.
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Dec 10, 2011,
Laney GH50

If money is no option Splawn Quickrod/ProComp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When I think of 90's alternative for some reason a fender deluxe reverb with a distortion pedal comes to mind. Jim from Jimmy Eat World uses a Vox AC30 with a tube screamer. That's something good to consider. I played an AC15 today and that really responds well to the guitarist playing. I could easily clean up the sound with a light attack and the amp got a lot dirtier with my more aggressive playing. I'd suggest a Vox AC15 or AC30 really. Never played a Marshall Tube amp though.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
If you liked the tone of your JCM900, you would probably love a JCM2000 DSL50. 50 watts, not as bright or as thin, and sounds amazing for pretty much any rock music from 60's to modern day. There is as much gain as you need available in the lead channel, but the crunch channel is where it's at for 90s rock. The DSL50 can be found for around $500-600 just about any day of the week. Try it, you won't be disappointed.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
When I think of 90's alternative for some reason a fender deluxe reverb with a distortion pedal comes to mind. Jim from Jimmy Eat World uses a Vox AC30 with a tube screamer. That's something good to consider. I played an AC15 today and that really responds well to the guitarist playing. I could easily clean up the sound with a light attack and the amp got a lot dirtier with my more aggressive playing. I'd suggest a Vox AC15 or AC30 really. Never played a Marshall Tube amp though.

Here's the thing about vox's, they dont have enough controls on the clean channel for me to be able to dirty it up. And 2 footswitchable channels, that are set to an eq is something I need out of an amp

I was thinking about fenders more than anything lately. Distortion is the only thing that concerns me. I'd honestly rather use an amps distortion than having to press 2 pedals every time I switch, for it to sound good. My band switches back and forth pretty frequently from clean to distortion, and I would just rather it all be in the amp. Only one footswitch. Pedal distortion just never sounds as good.
Look at the Laney GH series you'll love it if you like the JCM800

Even the Jet City JCA50/100 would work for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look at the Laney GH series you'll love it if you like the JCM800

Even the Jet City JCA50/100 would work for you.

Thanks Rob! The only thing the gh series lacks is 2 channels.
no it has 2, but the eq is share like a JCM800 I believe
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Laney AOR 6 knob amp. Use volume knob/volume pedal to clean up. Works for me...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
The 4100 with the diodes removed would do the trick. The thin sound you describe is mostly due to the abortionary clipping diodes they put in there. They don't seem to add much distortion, they just replace tube distortion with SS clipping. It's perhaps the dumbest amp design ever foisted upon an unsuspecting public.

If you aren't into modding then a Laney VH100R will do the job.
If you can afford a Splawn Quick Rod, buy one. Check the used market - that's the amp for you if you have the cash, no question.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
no it has 2, but the eq is share like a JCM800 I believe

It's not a true 2 channel amp. It's a single channel with an footswitchable gain stage.

That being said, if you like slightly broken up cleans and balls to the wall distorted sounds, the GH50L is a GREAT amp.

I have one.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The GH50L would do it. I'd spring the extra for a VH100R to get the clean channel if I was going that way. - Either that or a GH50L A/B'ed with a GH100TI. Now that would be a rig!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The 4100 with the diodes removed would do the trick. The thin sound you describe is mostly due to the abortionary clipping diodes they put in there. They don't seem to add much distortion, they just replace tube distortion with SS clipping. It's perhaps the dumbest amp design ever foisted upon an unsuspecting public.

If you aren't into modding then a Laney VH100R will do the job.
If you can afford a Splawn Quick Rod, buy one. Check the used market - that's the amp for you if you have the cash, no question.

I've always thought about that, just never had it in me to take a chance with changing the tone of my amp like that. I did consider it a few months ago when my amp was running well though.

Definitely into the idea of a Splawn, I've never heard of them before now, and judging by what I can find out about them over the internet, they sound like what I want.

Also, found a used fender supersonic 100 head for just over a grand. It wouldn't be as ruff sounding, but they seem sweet and I'm heavily considering it
actually, nevermind, im pretty sure I'm going to try to get the splawn, even though it costs a lot, its the most perfect amp that I could get. What did it for me was the switch to 50w instead of the normal 100, which is why i didnt get an 800, plus better cleans than the 800, I really wanna find a used one. Words cant describe how content my mind is to know that this amp exists.
^ Splawn Quick Rod will be perfect for you. The Gears are awesome to have. The transformers are massive. Add some reverb or chorus to the clean channel and you should be good to go.

What clips have you listened to so far?

Where are you located roughly?

Lurk the Splawn forum classifieds and the RigTalk classifieds. There is a UG'r with a Splawn for sale as well.

Don't look back. It is far better than the 800, 900, DSL, TSL, JVM, etc and more flexible.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Splawn Quick Rod will be perfect for you. The Gears are awesome to have. The transformers are massive. Add some reverb or chorus to the clean channel and you should be good to go.

What clips have you listened to so far?

Where are you located roughly?

Lurk the Splawn forum classifieds and the RigTalk classifieds. There is a UG'r with a Splawn for sale as well.

Don't look back. It is far better than the 800, 900, DSL, TSL, JVM, etc and more flexible.

Just random youtube clips, and read as much info as I could on them. I am located in Central Pennsylvania.

I've found a few, but they are pretty expensive, all around 1800 new, even some used ones are that price, definitely gonna try to find something cheaper. Which UG'r is selling one?
Quote by andyhatescrass
actually, nevermind, im pretty sure I'm going to try to get the splawn, even though it costs a lot, its the most perfect amp that I could get. What did it for me was the switch to 50w instead of the normal 100, which is why i didnt get an 800, plus better cleans than the 800, I really wanna find a used one. Words cant describe how content my mind is to know that this amp exists.

Also, check out the Ceriatone 2555. Marshall Silver Jubilee clone for around $1000, absolutely top notch.

Silver Jubilee = diode clipping done right
JCM900 = diode clipping done wrong
Silver Jubilees are better if you rip the diodes out too. Well, you can leave the rhythm ones in because you can treat them like a built in fuzz box that you can switch completely out of the circuit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by andyhatescrass
Just random youtube clips, and read as much info as I could on them. I am located in Central Pennsylvania.

I've found a few, but they are pretty expensive, all around 1800 new, even some used ones are that price, definitely gonna try to find something cheaper. Which UG'r is selling one?

The 2555 is also a good option. Another fav amp of mine. Probably wont' be as versatile as the Splawn but it has a very open, organic, and articulate tone liek teh Splawns.

Here is the guy on UG. $1,100 is a good price.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493215&highlight=splawn

Also use the 'Look Up' link in my sig to find gear. I've seen them as low as $900. Honestly, there is no use in buying a new one outside of getting a lifetime warranty. I seriously doubt you'll ever need to even use the warranty.

Here is one off Splawn site:
http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sales&action=display&thread=8928

More clips can be found on Post#4 of the Splawn thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066497&highlight=splawn

make sure to check out fastredponycar and fortress66's clips on youtube
Just got my quickrod in the mail today! Extremely excited to play it. Sorry for the late post, but I have one quick stupid newb question because I'm going to baby the s*** out of this amp. There are threads on this, but I don't quite understand the lingo used, and I don't know if i'm getting all of the information I need, but... what voltage should I run it at? Will ohms affect how the voltage I should run at?
Nope. Match the ohms of the head to your cab, and run the amp at 120V. That's standard in the US.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.