Hey UG people! I wanted to know what you guys and girls think are the biggest drawbacks for younger guitar players? Anything from cold hands to complaining parents.

I'm asking because I mainly want to know how much damage a bad guitar can do to a new player. Some of us are stuck with piece of crap guitars, but how much are they holding us back (assuming were practicing correctly etc.)?
As long as it's still in good enough shape to be set up properly, it shouldn't hold back your learning. Might hold back your tone though.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Cost of gear, with almost every other instrument it's a one-off cost. Not guitar.

A bad guitar other than being a bitch to play and sounding crap will stunt your learning... because if it feels crap you won't want to play it. If it feels/looks/sounds sweet you'll want to pick it up every day, hence rapid enhancement in guitar skillage.
I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or something in my left hand right now, so shut the fuck up about guitar, it's making me depressed.
Quote by ?happy?
How much damage a bad guitar can do to a new player. Some of us are stuck with piece of crap guitars, but how much are they holding us back (assuming were practicing correctly etc.)?

not much, if at all, as long at they aren't setup poorly.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I purposely set my action high for years to build left hand strength and I didn't replace my dodgy TOM bridge so I got really good at setting intonation. Roll with the punches and you'll get better. Eg, Carpal Tunnel is God's way of telling you to STOP SHREDDING, so develop other areas of technique.
Dude, where's my band?
I personally think starting with a garbage guitar is good. I think you should have determination to learn guitar, and not worry about tone and such in the beginning. If you can manage to make a crap guitar sound half decent, your next, better guitar will sound that much better when you play it. People ignore how much tone is in your fingers and skill.

Of course if it always falls out of tune or breaks strings all the time, get a slightly less shitty one, but you dont need to learn on a 62 strat.
Quote by TomMon
I purposely set my action high for years to build left hand strength and I didn't replace my dodgy TOM bridge so I got really good at setting intonation. Roll with the punches and you'll get better. Eg, Carpal Tunnel is God's way of telling you to STOP SHREDDING, so develop other areas of technique.

Like what, picking? I can barely fret a powerchord anymore.
I was a bit harsh cos it must suck, but you can ease back into it, right? Or play slide?
Dude, where's my band?
my first guitar ($100 Squier Strat guitar/amp package) had a burr on the bridge where the G string was and made it break all the time.

also learned early on that i needed thicker picks because regular ones wore down to nubs in a single play session.

i also wish i had taken some sort of formal lessons. i've been playing for around 8 years and i still have really bad fingering skills and technique, and i can't read music for shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Yesterday morning I tried playing and I could play fine, then I tried later and couldn't play it all. I woke up laying on my hand a few nights ago, and for the past week it's not gotten any better.
i would say you spend less time doing other things in life. if you get into it, you put in maybe 1-4 hours a day, depending on what you have to do that day, everyday. strings are kinda expensive, guitars are expensive, picks dematerialize, you always need a new better amp, but otherwise its a great hobby.
Im still playing a crap guitar, after 8 or something years... So in my case would probably new gear give me motivation to play more, but not make me any better.

I think that it is in almost all cases the person thats at "fault" if they arent learning much, not any outside causes.
Spend a few years on a beginner guitar and it'll help you develop as a player and let you figure out what you really want tone and playability wise and also show whether you're any good, plan to do something with music or whether it's a hobby. Also means that you haven't wasted money in case you quit.

I did that for three years, advanced rapidly and now have a Gibson Les Paul Custom which has made a massive impact on my playing. Can play a lot of stuff a lot better now.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Originally Posted by FearMyLightning
I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or something in my left hand right now, so shut the **** up about guitar, it's making me depressed.
I sometimes get CP in my left too, but it's never happened whilst playing .
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB