Poll: do bands have the right to charge whatever they want?
Poll Options
View poll results: do bands have the right to charge whatever they want?
yes stfu and go get a high paying job
10 37%
no fans should be able to afford tickets
13 48%
i dont care/attend concerts or feel like clicking the other 2 options
4 15%
Voters: 27.
Anyone else pissed off that you support a band by buying their discography, their t-shirts, their songbooks, everything you can, but when it comes to actually seeing them live they want to charge you $110-$220. Especially after their most talented member leaves to continue his solo career and side projects, that in my opinion, are much better than the bands latest album. I understand things cost money in life, but when you are this far into your career, past, much past your prime, I don't think you have the right to charge your fans, the people supporting your life, outrageously ridiculous amounts of money just to see you perform.

Do you feel like bands should have a limit to how much they can charge for tickets, or do you think bands have the right to charge as much as they wish, tickets will be bought, it doesn't matter who's buying them, rich people or dedicated fans that can't go.
Was it the RHCP?

Ninja'd
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Last edited by MetallicSka at Dec 10, 2011,
You know, odds are most of these bands don't set their prices, their labels and managers work with the venue to set the price.

Plus most of that money has to pay about the food, travel, lodging, and salary costs of about a hundred roadies, a staff of businesspeople to keep the band afloat, the label's share, stage setups that need replacing like fireworks and pyrotechnics, and of course the band members. It's not like if 400 people go to see a show that costs $100 per ticket, each member of the four-man band gets $100,000.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
The band that I would pay $120 to see does not exist.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Because no one buys the actual music anymore, and even when they do they don't get much from record sales. The band's profit comes mainly from their live performances
Its well worth considering how much it costs to actually get the show to the people.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Read a Bon Jovi interview a while back and Jon Bon Jovi said he didn't realize the ticket prices for their concerts were as high as they were because they get very little say in the ticket prices. How true that is, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
Yes I am aware of where the majority of the money goes, and I'm aware the bands may not have much influence of ticket price, but there are many many bands that tour for much cheaper prices. I saw BTBAM on my birthday for $20? I'm sure RHCP has a large crew, but I don't think I should have to pay for that. But what about the other couple hundred bucks I gave them already? You're telling me it costs $400 to be a RHCP fan? That is why john left the band.

Edit: can't you play more shows, not hard to pull off, its the chili peppers, for less money? Rather than select uber expensive arenas?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 10, 2011,
i go to punk shows, so those are like $5 unless its some huge band, then its like $30
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Yes I am aware of where the majority of the money goes, and I'm aware the bands may not have much influence of ticket price, but there are many many bands that tour for much cheaper prices. I saw BTBAM on my birthday for $20? I'm sure RHCP has a large crew, but I don't think I should have to pay for that. But what about the other couple hundred bucks I gave them already? You're telling me it costs $400 to be a RHCP fan? That is why john left the band.

The band sees almost no money from media sales or memorabilia bought outside of the concert.

Also, BTBAM is nowhere near as popular/well known as RHCP, which will also cause a rise/drop in ticket prices.

EDIT: In response to your edit, the band has little say in venue choice. It's their management/booking agency that does all that.
Last edited by goest at Dec 10, 2011,
I would only pay upwards of £20 for a gig for a single headliner show if it was a really awesome band.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
It's just money. Can't take it to your grave with you. Spend it and have fun.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
They can charge that much because people will pay that much. You make it seem like it's unfair to you that they charge an amount that's more than you're willing to pay. Sorry, but you are owed nothing.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by institutions
I paid 100$ for my Roger Waters ticket

Btbam's ticket only cost you 20$ because they suck

Yes exactly, if I was gonna spend over $100 on a ticket, I'm seeing Roger Waters.
.....they don't suck, they are very talented and make awesome music that is quite original.
Quote by TooFast
It's just money. Can't take it to your grave with you. Spend it and have fun.

Wise words

I spent £65 on BB King tickets. But that turned out to be well worth the money. Slash, Ronnie Wood, Derek Trucks and his wife and Mick Hucknell all came on stage and it was half hour of BB King's stuff and the rest was a jam between them lot. Plus, I got to shake BB King's hand. So, that was all definitely worth £65. And it was a one off show too.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Dec 10, 2011,
Bear in mind the band makes no money on their CDs, they have to take all their profit from touring and merch, so if you really wanna support them seeing them live is the best way to do it.
Insense, Rise to Remain, Ghost, In Flames and Trivium in Plymouth UK for £21. Loved that
OH MY GOD IT SPINS!
Quote by wyldething
They can charge that much because people will pay that much. You make it seem like it's unfair to you that they charge an amount that's more than you're willing to pay. Sorry, but you are owed nothing.

I don't feel like I am owed anything, I feel like its kinda.....douchey to feel that they are 'worth' that much and feel they have the right to charge that much. Beethoven didn't charge that much at his performances, or did he? Idk actually I guess Beethoven isnt a good talent conparison....

Edit: as for the owed concept, I am aware of the pits view of being, not being owed anything by bands, but see it the other way around. Do RHCP feel like us fans owe them all that money?
Quote by Duffman123
A band that charge that much live are not worth seeing.

I would completely disagree. A band that can charge that much and still sell out arenas are definitely a band worth seeing.
Quote by DempseyPunk
i go to punk shows, so those are like $5 unless its some huge band, then its like $30

^ this
I saw Rise Against last week and it only cost me 25 bucks where as when I saw APC the ticket was around 70 bucks.
POST RAWK
A coworker of mine payed something in the ballpark of 200$ to see Kiss live. I wouldn't see kiss live if you payed ME 200$.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
saw Tool for 65$

worth every penny
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I don't feel like I am owed anything, I feel like its kinda.....douchey to feel that they are 'worth' that much and feel they have the right to charge that much. Beethoven didn't charge that much at his performances, or did he? Idk actually I guess Beethoven isnt a good talent conparison....

Edit: as for the owed concept, I am aware of the pits view of being, not being owed anything by bands, but see it the other way around. Do RHCP feel like us fans owe them all that money?

Again, RHCP does not have any say in the ticket prices. It is not their fault.
It's probably the primary source of money for record companies. It's because of the people that aren't like you, who want free shit.
If bands make so little money off non ticket incomes, why am I wasting my money on buying albums?

Edit: I have a large CD collection. I own tons of tab books. Tons of band t shirts. Tons of band misc items. I just don't have the extra couple hundred bucks for a ticket. It's like blue balls in music form.

Edit2: to dude below me, I mean that, why am I not illegally downloading albums. I was under the impression buying albums helped bands out and bands complain album sales are low.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If bands make so little money off non ticket incomes, why am I wasting my money on buying albums?

Because you like what they do?

Your logical is pretty ****ing wacky.

I rarely pay more than $30-40 for tickets. Usually $20 or less.

I don't like your second poll option. Clearly fans can afford tickets, because even the bands that charge a lot tend to fill their shows with fans.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Yes I am aware of where the majority of the money goes, and I'm aware the bands may not have much influence of ticket price, but there are many many bands that tour for much cheaper prices.

For the $50 less than collective cost that I saw Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, Peppino D'agostino, Andy McKee, and Joe Satriani last year for, I bought two tickets to see The Who in 2008.

That Who concert was awesome. And frankly, when you consider the demands of it all, it wasn't as unreasonable as it sounds. More on that below.

I saw BTBAM on my birthday for $20?

I wouldn't have paid $20 to see BTBAM. Hell, I wouldn't go if it was free. Just as well, comparing BTBAM to RHCP in terms of costs is like comparing a community college football game to an NFL game. One is a small thing that gets by on the devoutness of its fans, and as such plays a much smaller market. The other is a gigantic production that requires gigantic capacity stadiums to fill(And even then there are thousands more who want to see it but couldn't grab a ticket before they sold out), requires people manning all those stations in that gigantic stadium, business people to keep the operation afloat, demanding performers who do physically challenging work as well as entertain thousands if not millions, and expect to be paid as-such, and hundreds of thousands of other things behing the scenes hat all require money. It's an invalid comparison comparing the costs of an underground metal band to an act that has sold 70 million albums and tours internationally on a regular basis.

I'm sure RHCP has a large crew, but I don't think I should have to pay for that.

Then they don't have to give you a show. They've traveled thousands of miles, carrying hundreds of pounds of expensive equipment, which had to be paid for, needs to be kept in performance condition, and needs to be replaced when it breaks, to a place they're unfamiliar with, rent out a gigantic stadium, pay its operating costs while they're using it, clean it up, staff it, all to stay there two or three nights, in order to entertain you for two hours. That's the entire crew, not just the band. I think they deserve their pay, and unless the customer pays the costs of the performance, it's a loss economically.

If they can't afford to go, they won't go. You can't pay, they don't have to give you a show, because honestly, they shouldn't have to stick their necks out there and risk their livelihoods and the livelihoods of their families just because you're cheap, and they need to pay everyone somehow.

But what about the other couple hundred bucks I gave them already? You're telling me it costs $400 to be a RHCP fan?

You know, $400 goes by fast for the average person - monthly food bills are at least $100 if not $200 - they don't, but for the sake of the argument, we'll assume they got all $400. Split that by four for each member, that's $100 each. Then the label gets their share since they bankrolled the album, got it distributed, did the PR, etc., so it's probably $25-$75 each, depending on how good their contract is. That's not a lot, especially of they have to pay for their touring costs, and if they can't live off the music, RHCP is a bar band, and they're working day jobs to pay for their lives. As such, the music suffers in quality, and never gets anywhere near as broad exposure.

That is why john left the band.

I don't remember why he did, so no comment.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by daytripper75

I rarely pay more than $30-40 for tickets. Usually $20 or less.

Same here. I saw izzy and zombie for under $40, buckethead, black keys, btbam and jfac, cynic and scale the summit, A7X, devin townsend and COB, I have payed less money for all the shows iv been to than what RHCP are charging for one show.
I'm just such a big chili peppers fan, I'm just so pissed off I can't afford to see them when my opportunity finaly comes around. I'm probably not going to see them and go to a swahili blonde concert. I actually really enjoy their music, its awesome. I'm with you sucked. It wasn't original. It sounded LiKE reused melodies and ideas to me.