Guys, I've been playing for coming up on 13 years, and I want to learn to sweep. I'm an average guitar player I suppose, maybe slightly better than average. But I cannot get this sweeping thing down past the most baaasic of patterns, and even then, only on the down stroke.

Is it just this hard to learn? Is there some damn trick I'm missing? I've been trying to learn the intro to My Will Be Done by Unearth, ad its simple enough. I watched the video and tabbed it out exactly the way he plays it, and I understand the shapes and patterns, but I cannot do this crap. I've been at it for 3 days now.
It is only practice practice practice, so slowly, with metronomo, 10 to 20 minutes for day, or each 2 days, I guess it is the form more easy for me
Keep practicing! I've been sweeping for a few months (rusty Cooley 6 string shapes), and i still can't play them fast. Just takes time!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
you have played for 13 years and haven't tried sweeping yet? o:
Anyways, the guitarist is also tapping, so keep that in mind. If you have problems sweeping upwards, then it's pretty much all matter of practice. Since combining left and right hand correctly is almost everything you need to master to be good at sweeping (the other half is muting so it doesn't sound like shit).
But please try to be more specific about your problem!
Quote by JB95
you have played for 13 years and haven't tried sweeping yet? o:
Anyways, the guitarist is also tapping, so keep that in mind. If you have problems sweeping upwards, then it's pretty much all matter of practice. Since combining left and right hand correctly is almost everything you need to master to be good at sweeping (the other half is muting so it doesn't sound like shit).
But please try to be more specific about your problem!

Well I've been "sweeping" for a long time, but its just very small ones. Like the D shape or the first three notes of a Cm shape. I can do those fine on the down strokes, but I can't come back on the upstroke to save my life. My left hand just wont move like that. Its hard to explain I suppose. I'm comfortable tapping. I got that part right away. But pretty much every part that is picked feels impossible. I'd be happy if I could get my left hand to just cooperate.
Maybe you have trouble shifting your pick angle when doing upstrokes? That can be a bit tricky depending on how you hold the pick, but you can't sweep properly without doing it.
Now that's the right hand... but if you somehow "can't" move your left hand in a way, you mean like playsically, or mentally because you're new to moving your hand like that?
I don't think I can help you, but just keep practicing the pattern and you'll get used to it!
Quote by inasenselost
Well I've been "sweeping" for a long time, but its just very small ones. Like the D shape or the first three notes of a Cm shape. I can do those fine on the down strokes, but I can't come back on the upstroke to save my life. My left hand just wont move like that. Its hard to explain I suppose. I'm comfortable tapping. I got that part right away. But pretty much every part that is picked feels impossible. I'd be happy if I could get my left hand to just cooperate.

Then you need to slow your upstrokes right down. REALLY slow them down. Like one note every few seconds if that's what it takes to get it exactly clean and correct. Make sure you use a metronome to keep timing consistent. You're probably trying to play your upstrokes at the speed you play the downstrokes and its frustrating you.

Make sure when you slow right down, you exactly synch each sweep string with the left hand. Take it slow. Synch it, mute other strings and analyse. When you feel comfortable at that speed, speed it up just a little and repeat. When you've sped up to the point where it's stuffing up again, back off to where youre playing it clean and analyse why when you speed it up just a little bit more you introduce errors, then analyse and correct for them.

There really is no other way. You have to slow it down and gradually bring up the speed as the proficiency gets better.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Dec 10, 2011,
Are you a lefty? Is the problem with your picking hand or fretting hand?

If it's the picking hand, try doing it to a metronome with just muted strings - try and get it in time and feeling good before adding in the fretted notes.

It's also really important that you make ONE motion when you sweep, not a sequence of small ones. One push down, one pull up, through all the strings you want to hit.
Quote by inasenselost
Is it just this hard to learn? Is there some damn trick I'm missing? I've been trying to learn the intro to My Will Be Done by Unearth, ad its simple enough. I watched the video and tabbed it out exactly the way he plays it, and I understand the shapes and patterns, but I cannot do this crap. I've been at it for 3 days now.

The first thing you need to understand before you can tackle this song, is, frankly, no it bloody isn't simple. It requires you to change positions frequently, and that's something that people new to sweeping will find hard to pick up. First of all, learn that five string minor sweep, get that to speed, take out the taps, as they will only complicate things, and learn that sweep like the back of your hand. Then, learn the major one like the back of your hand. Only then will you be able to play the song, and then you'll have more exciting patterns to look forward to, and be able to tackle more difficult songs.
3 days...
Frank Gambale waited 10 years before he came out with sweeping and we all want to master in days.. :/
Hahaha I know it sounds like I went from never sweeping at all to wanting to be able to do it in 3 days. I do small sweeps all the time. 3 string sweeps I mean. And I've learned some larger ones that just feel more natural, but this particular shape is giving me the blues.

But no I've never learned to upstroke in a sweep. I know I need to practice that. Feels super awkward. But mainly its my fingering hand, that just doesnt seem to want to move like that. I guess all it is is practice. I'll keep at it for sure.
can someone please help me cos im learning to sweep ive played a year and abit and i can get the speed in right but theres loaaaaaads of like noise whenever i like take my finger off the fret it makes it vibrate and it sounds soo messy and im not sure what im doing wrong please help?