i'm trying to get started on theory, teacher started me off with around 5 of the major scale. and for a few weeks i memorized them.

but how do i combine them?? like, i see people do a really long scale from the first fret to 15 or something, and they use a bit of the first, slide or something to the second etc... i donnn't get it
Don't think of scales as boxed patterns on the neck. Learn scales as a series of notes and intervals. Learn the notes of the scale and the notes of the fretboard. That will help you move around the neck.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
but how do i combine them?? like, i see people do a really long scale from the first fret to 15 or something, and they use a bit of the first, slide or something to the second etc... i donnn't get it

Pretty much like that. They either slide between or just shift through positions, or alternatively they refinger the scales so they're easier to ascend. One thing that might help you and it's really easy is the "three octave trick". Try it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPhHNZpDSdo
Find some notes that are in each scale and transition off that note. I go from Minor to Diminished to Phrygian all the time doing that.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics