I am going to get a PRS SE Santana for Christmas and am hoping to install a coil tap on it. I play in a worship band at my church, so I don't need a very heavy sound. A mix of single coil and humbucker sound would be great (hence the coil tap) but which pickups are the best for that without getting too expensive? Also, what would it cost to have someone install all of it (coil tap/ new pups)
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Wait until you get the guitar before you think about new pickups. The ones on there most likely will be fine. Coil tap mod will be pretty cheap. I wouldn't let anybody charge over $50 to do it on both pickups.

I wish my parents got me $700 christmas presents.
Wait until you get the guitar before you think about new pickups. The ones on there most likely will be fine. Coil tap mod will be pretty cheap. I wouldn't let anybody charge over $50 to do it on both pickups.

Quote by &baconstrips
I wish my parents got me $700 christmas presents.

So do I.. most of that is money out of my own pocket. They only are paying like $150. Also, I thought you had to get pickups that COULD be split. That's why I was going to get new ones.. you can do it to the stock ones?
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Ah, sorry, I read that as "my rich ass parents are buying me a sweet guit"

Cheaper humbucker guitars have single conductor pickups (ex.: my yamaha pacifica), better guitars tend to have pickups with 4 conductors, meaning coil tapping is possible. Apparently even single conductor pickups can be modded to have 4 wires so they can be coil split.

In other words: yea, it'll be fine.
Alright, thanks
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix