So as the title says, i have up to £900 absolute maximum and i'm grabbing another guitar.

I'm probably going to invest in a Gibson Flying V standard, but before i finally do, i will have an opportunity to walk around the shop and look at potential candidates. Here's the requirements.

. Fixed bridge is preferred
. High output pickups.
. Mahogany body
. Mahogany or maple neck
. No active pickups
. I'm open to most body styles. A Kelly is as far as i would go, body shape-wise.
. I really like 60's necks, which is why i gravitated towards the Gibson V. But i'm open to thin necks so long that they aren't Wizard neck thin
. Not a Schector (dislike sticky necks)

I live in the UK.
My amps are a Bugera 6260 and a Roland Cube 60.

I'm primarily a hard rock/metal player, but i'm developing a blues fetish. So versatility is important.
For metal, i tend to play thrash metal, power metal, NWBHM, Progressive and Neo-classical.

I like guitars that look modern, but at the same time had a touch of vintage character. I guess that's to accommodate for my blues fetish.

Predicted suggestions:
Charvel Sam Dimas
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Prestige
PRS SE Santana
Jackson RR5
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 10, 2011,
I'm a little confused, since you say a mahogany body is required, but the San Dimas, RR5, and most Ibanez Prestiges are alder?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm a little confused, since you say a mahogany body is required, but the San Dimas, RR5, and most Ibanez Prestiges are alder?

They seem to be common suggestions around here. the guy above for example

i'm willing to compromise if the guitar suggested really takes my fancy i.e ticks the rest of the boxes. Mahogany is preferred though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
For that price, I'd have to give custom a chance. I buy guitars from a luthier here in the USA- Jon Kammerer- and his prices start at just under $1000 (about 2/3 of your budget) for his standard, customizable models, and $2500 minimum for fully custom guitars. You might be able to find someone where you are whose model prices likewise fall into your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 10, 2011,
^

that is a possibility that i havn't thought about. though i don't know of anyone that could do a quality affordable custom near me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, I'm in the Dallas area and Jon is in the Chicago area- I met him at the Dallas Guitar Show. Check out your local shows, and like me, while you may not find someone close, you might find someone you can do business with.

Heck- ask your local guitar techs & repairmen if they know any luthiers. They may just.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by |69|
Sorry bro, threads everywhere.

Get an EC-1000.

i have thought about that. but the problem is that the EC smacks a bit of a ripoff. its nothing more than a 401 with a locking bridge, locking tuners and 3 ply binding. yet it is £200 more than the 401. i may as well get the 401. the Grover tuners are fine and a Tonepros bridge will not warrant a £200 difference

another thing is that i'm skeptical if the woods used in LTD's are going to be comparable to the Gibson. one of the things that strung a chord with me (literally) was how the Gibson sounded unplugged. it was very loud and rich in sustain. that might also be down to the nitro lacquer on the gibson not dampening the resonation of the whole guitar.

unless abalone=more tone of course. then by all means

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, I'm in the Dallas area and Jon is in the Chicago area- I met him at the Dallas Guitar Show. Check out your local shows, and like me, while you may not find someone close, you might find someone you can do business with.

Heck- ask your local guitar techs & repairmen if they know any luthiers. They may just.

There is one luthier that i know of in my shop where i'm actually getting my current guitar's frets leveled from wear. but its unlikely that i'll find a luthier that could build a guitar for me in which i can sit down with him and have a chat about exactly what i want.

i will ask anyway, i may never know unless i ask.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Alright then, with that in mind, around that same pricepoint, I think you may like one of these. I'm not sure if that goes out of the pricerange or not with import costs, but transferring between currencies alone, it seems to fit into the range, and having played it, it's a signature guitar, but it's designed to be adaptable first, fit Eddie second.

That said though, I second looking into the custom route - I've been very happy with my Carvin, and I know they spiked export costs, so that's out, and I don't know any British custom shops, but I'd look around, dig around more UK-oriented guitar sites(Or get advice from a brit on here ), and see if you can find one. That's the range where you can start getting custom orders, and something built to exact specifications will usually outshine something of a set factory standard.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

There is one luthier that i know of in my shop where i'm actually getting my current guitar's frets leveled from wear. but its unlikely that i'll find a luthier that could build a guitar for me in which i can sit down with him and have a chat about exactly what i want.

i will ask anyway, i may never know unless i ask.

True. Hell- he may even have something in stock worth your time.

Quote by necrosis1193
Alright then, with that in mind, around that same pricepoint, I think you may like one of these. I'm not sure if that goes out of the pricerange or not with import costs, but transferring between currencies alone, it seems to fit into the range, and having played it, it's a signature guitar, but it's designed to be adaptable first, fit Eddie second.

That said though, I second looking into the custom route - I've been very happy with my Carvin, and I know they spiked export costs, so that's out, and I don't know any British custom shops, but I'd look around, dig around more UK-oriented guitar sites(Or get advice from a brit on here ), and see if you can find one. That's the range where you can start getting custom orders, and something built to exact specifications will usually outshine something of a set factory standard.

Oh god. i forgot about the Wolfgang. now i'm torn.

but an issue is that i'm not a huge fan of vintage frets. but still, i'd murder someone to try it. if i see a Wolfgang in the shop, likely as its a very large shop, i'll pay very close attention to it. maybe even get it if it plays like butter.

Again, i don't have a clue about local custom shops. the Gibson i played was a particularly good one too. the frets were perfectly leveled and finished. no finish flaws that i could see. the only things that it needed was the pickup height reset and a bit of oil on the fretboard after sitting in the shop for a while. that was it. it outblew everything i tried in playability, even ones costing double its price. i was scared to leave the shop in case anyone else bought it.

a custom instrument sounds very attractive however.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
True. Hell- he may even have something in stock worth your time.

now that would be cool.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Gibson Faded V, it is cheaper and the satin finish is super nice to play.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you like the gibson so much, get it. I don't think you'll regret it if it plays like you said.

The only 'custom' UK brand i know really are Jaden Rose.
Well I'm actually thinking about buying a wolfgang for my next guitar, they're pretty badass. THat or a Gibson Explorer.
you can get the Peavey USA made Wolfgang for $500ish, and they are great guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hey guys. I tried a few other V's such as a Schector Blackjack w/ Seymour Duncans and an LTD V-401 with EMG's.

I asked about the Wolfgang. They didn't have one and i'd be forced to buy it if i ordered it. I'm not risking not trying the guitar before buying it. I asked about custom instruments and the guy gave a similar answer. He knew someone, but after having everything made to spec, i would be forced to buy it.

As for the Schector and the LTD...

I didn't like the Schector's sticky neck and the card inlay at the 12th fret killed it for me. Though it sounded great. The LTD was nice and way under budget, but it had EMG's and a floyd. I like to expereiemnt with different tunings and i already own a guitar with EMG's, so it wasn't the guitar for me. Both guitars felt a tad plasticy to me as well. The Gibson was much louder acoustically and the pickups were nice and atticulate. Shredding on it just felt easier to do than the other guitars.

I respect the Schector and the LTD. I can see why people swear by them. But playing the Gibby felt like an extension of my body. It had had that feel of an instrument that would last a lifetime. Bearing in mind that this is a guitar that i'm going to be playing until i drop.

The Gibson is mine. I've bought it.

I got a great deal for it too. The guitar was being sold for £899 but i got the guy down to £825 AND w/ the hardshell case!

I won't be allowed to play it until xmas as my parents put £250 towards the guitar, so an NGD won't happen until then.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2011,
Too late bro.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2011,
Merry Axemas!

i wonder what those jaden rose series 2s are like. i haven't tried them but they're bang-on £900.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wonder what those jaden rose series 2s are like. i haven't tried them but they're bang-on £900.

They're a bit more if you want dimarzios in them or BKP's, but i wonder how good the own brand korean made pickups in them are. People say they are really hot and high output and really they could be quite good.
He was selling them at £599/699 at one point.

shame I missed out on that.

they are meant to be awesome, but once you spec them out a bit they are well over £1k.

for which you could get one of his proper guitar, which are well and truly great guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I just got a Gibson V and it's amazing really. I play old school Swedish Death Metal and blues on it. So it's nice for most things.
Quote by Glenn Guitar
They're a bit more if you want dimarzios in them or BKP's, but i wonder how good the own brand korean made pickups in them are. People say they are really hot and high output and really they could be quite good.

yeah, but i mean if you only have bang-on £900 it still might make sense to get one while you can and change teh pickups later.

If they're good, of course.

Quote by Tom 1.0
(a)He was selling them at £599/699 at one point.

shame I missed out on that.

(b) they are meant to be awesome, but once you spec them out a bit they are well over £1k.

for which you could get one of his proper guitar, which are well and truly great guitars.

(a) what, when? I'd have probably bought one for that. I guess i missed it, too.

(b) yeah, that's the big problem (with a lot of custom stuff, not just the jaden roses). the cheaper, less options stuff is a lot cheaper if you're ok with teh stock spec... but if not, it's often cheaper to spec something out from scratch, plus you know they're not cutting corners because it's the cheaper range.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a: when he was moving workshops.

b: yeah, from what I have been told Jaden doesnt scrimp on them, but when you think his hand made ones start from about £1300 and the CNC can reach £1100 when you spec one out....

Well for that extra £200 you might as well go the whole hog... or buy a Daemoness.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ah right, i'm guessing that was a while back?

and yeah, that'd be my idea too... for only slightly more (as a percentage, anyway ) you can get exactly what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tom 1.0
a: when he was moving workshops.

b: yeah, from what I have been told Jaden doesnt scrimp on them, but when you think his hand made ones start from about £1300 and the CNC can reach £1100 when you spec one out....

Well for that extra £200 you might as well go the whole hog... or buy a Daemoness.

That's kind of how Jon hooked me.

I couldn't afford his stuff at the Dallas Guitar show- what I wanted was about $300 outside my show buget- but struck up a conversation with him; got on his mailing list.

A few weeks later, he was moving shop, and asked me if I was still interested. At the prices he quoted me, I bought THREE.

To be clear, I spent much more than my show budget, but the prices were so low, I couldn't pass up the deal. Since then, I've bought 2 more electrics for myself, and bought another I donated to my Church charity auction.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah right, i'm guessing that was a while back?

and yeah, that'd be my idea too... for only slightly more (as a percentage, anyway ) you can get exactly what you want.

A few months ago iirc.

Was only a few "completed" guitars though.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^^ ahahaha nice

^ thanks. but yeah i mean maybe i wouldn't have liked them anyway
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The Gibson is mine. I've bought it.

I got a great deal for it too. The guitar was being sold for £899 but i got the guy down to £825 AND w/ the hardshell case!

I won't be allowed to play it until xmas as my parents put £250 towards the guitar, so an NGD won't happen until then.

Nice decision.
I would have suggested to look also for the Gibson SG.

I'll wait for your NGD thread
Suhr Rasmus. Great guitars.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.