Page 1 of 2
So during my 4 weeks of winter break I'm taking a road trip from New Jersey down to Florida to play a few shows at some local venues.

NOW First off is the car. I have a 2006 Scion TC. My mom keeps telling me that it won't be able to handle the miles, but I've seen quite a few Scion TC's from across the country. I think with a good servicing and being taught how to change a tire/check oil I should be fine.

Second: People keep telling me that southerners still don't take kindly to northerners. They said I'll probably get arrested in Georgia and framed or something. Like if anyone saw that new Family Guy episode, that's probably what it'd be like I'd imagine.

Any other tips?
Listen to this all the way down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_XIPWtjzk

Otherwise I don't know, enjoy the ride. Remember everyone has guns and don't make fun of jeebus.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
you're gonna get raped, either when your car breaks down, or when you're thrown in jail.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Can't believe you guys are still doing the car thing
Be bad. Get bitches.
Dude, a relatively new TC should have no issues driving that far. No car in decent shape should have any major issues with driving that distance.
Bullet proof your windows.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by D. Vader
Can't believe you guys are still doing the car thing

<----Solo artist

Quote by daytripper75
Dude, a relatively new TC should have no issues driving that far. No car in decent shape should have any major issues with driving that distance.

That reassures me thank you. I'll obviously give it a good servicing and stuff before.
Florida is ****ing terrible and it sucks here and you won't like it.

Play a show in Cape Coral so I can come see your band.

Also the term "southerners" doesn't apply to Floridians, since more than half of us are actually from up north anyways, or cuba.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Florida is ****ing terrible and it sucks here and you won't like it.

Play a show in Cape Coral so I can come see your band.

Also the term "southerners" doesn't apply to Floridians, since more than half of us are actually from up north anyways, or cuba.

Haha why play in the Cape when he could play across the river in FM?

P.S. Florida is awesome.
I've been down to Florida, being a northerner, it isn't bad. Nothing is going to happen to you. Trust me. If you can get past the fact that it is about 400 miles tall, it is actually a very nice state. Free of rednecks. Trust me, I know what a redneck is, speaking as someone who lives in southwest VA.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by K Reyn
Haha why play in the Cape when he could play across the river in FM?

P.S. Florida is awesome.

Because then I'd have to drive further to see his band.

OH SHIT BUT TS if you play in Fort Myers play at Cool Hand Lucs. That place ****ing kicks so much ass. My band's played there before, we're actually playing again Jan. 21st.

But yeah come to CC or FM so I can stalk you.
Quote by daytripper75
Dude, a relatively new TC should have no issues driving that far. No car in decent shape that is less than 20 years old should have any major issues with driving that distance.

-Fixed. Some of the older cars just won't be able to make a trip like that anymore, no matter what condition they are in. But yeah, as long as you get it checked out and the oil changed before you leave and when you get back, you should be fine.

OT: Just keep out of Atlanta, don't insult people (or their religion) and watch out for all the stupid people driving and you will be fine.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
My family and I moved down from CT to SC back in July. It was interesting as we were driving South because people started getting "friendlier" the further South we got. A random guy held a door open for me at a gas station in VA. That was... out of the ordinary for me. I'm usually the guy that holds a door open and gets scoffed at like someone else thinks I'm "Holier than Thou" for doing so. Not down here.

Here's the deal. If you're nice, they're nice. Very nice.

If you act like a typical rushed Northerner, they don't take kind to that. As much as I probably sound like the world's biggest bigoted cynic on here at times, I'm actually a very nice and modest in person. I get along just fine with everyone down here.

It's just like with anything else though - treat others as how you'd want to be treated. Do not worry about the drive down. Take it easy and be safe. As for long drives, I would highly recommend getting a few water bottles and a towel. Splash water on your face now and then to keep yourself awake. A 16 hour drive can start to hypnotize you.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Because then I'd have to drive further to see his band.

OH SHIT BUT TS if you play in Fort Myers play at Cool Hand Lucs. That place ****ing kicks so much ass. My band's played there before, we're actually playing again Jan. 21st.

But yeah come to CC or FM so I can stalk you.

Wanna give me some venue names? Along the coast preferably. I'll be there for like a week.
Man, if that's what everyone's been telling you, I hope southerners still don't like northerners. That's some dickish shit to say
Last edited by Mack56 at Dec 10, 2011,
People just give southerners a bad rap. Overall you'll probably be treated friendlier by strangers than any northern big city. We're not the poor, inbred, retarded heathens that TV shows and movies (as well as people that have never been here) like to make us out to be. Although if you act like an a$$ or raise hell, expect someone to put a stop to it. And your car will handle the miles. If it's been reliable till now, it won't malfunction. It's not all that far down the east coast. I think it took about 14 hours total from Georgia to NYC.

Enjoy your trip, though man! It should be awesome.
Don't forget to paint "Man-love rules OK" and "Country and Western is Rubbish" or "Hillary for President" on your car.
Quote by Twist of fate
Wanna give me some venue names? Along the coast preferably. I'll be there for like a week.

I only really know the names of small venues around the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area, so I'm probably not the best to really ask that. I don't really know anything near the coast either. I'M SO UNHELPFUL.
This isn't the ****ing 1800's dude. The country is pretty much the same everywhere, except with different accents.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by doomded
-Fixed. Some of the older cars just won't be able to make a trip like that anymore, no matter what condition they are in. But yeah, as long as you get it checked out and the oil changed before you leave and when you get back, you should be fine.

OT: Just keep out of Atlanta, don't insult people (or their religion) and watch out for all the stupid people driving and you will be fine.

Just assume people are bad drivers to begin with and you'll be golden..the 1-2 good drivers you'll run into (no pun intended) will be northerners coming back up...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by guitaristren
Don't forget to paint "Man-love rules OK" and "Country and Western is Rubbish" or "Hillary for President" on your car.

Do this if you're suicidal.
Quote by Controlpanel
Just assume people are bad drivers to begin with and you'll be golden..the 1-2 good drivers you'll run into (no pun intended) will be northerners coming back up...

Totally true!

They drive SO SLOW down here, and come to a COMPLETE stop before taking a right-turn. They don't slow down and continue rolling through, they come to a complete friggin stop on a main road.

But at the same time, they're much more apt to let your merge into traffic, or stop early to let you cut across the road in front of them. Take the good with the bad I guess. *shrugs*
Quote by CV334
Totally true!

They drive SO SLOW down here, and come to a COMPLETE stop before taking a right-turn. They don't slow down and continue rolling through, they come to a complete friggin stop on a main road.

But at the same time, they're much more apt to let your merge into traffic, or stop early to let you cut across the road in front of them. Take the good with the bad I guess. *shrugs*

Not true in Florida. At least where I live. The speed limit on most non-residential roads is like 40 mph and most people just drive 50 down them anyways.

EDIT: I misread your post. You're talking about snowbirds. Yeah they drive slow. Everyone else drives like a wad though.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 10, 2011,
Quote by CV334
Totally true!

You are talking about the old people. Yeah, they are slow as shit and like to block up traffic, but at least (for the most part) they are cautious. Around here there are people that refuse to use blinkers, merge without even a glance, can't stay in their lane (which is at least 4 feet wider than their vehicle) and don't even read the road signs. And that's when they are sober. Don't even get me started on the number of people that drive drunk.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by CV334
Do this if you're suicidal.

I Just painted it too

You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I know I'm late to saying this, but you should be fine. My family took a trip to florida on year by car, and nothing happened on the way down there, just started going and stopped when we got there. I don't remember what car we had back then, but I think it was a 90's Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight, so your Scion should be fine.
Seeing that you yankees are afraid to drive through the South, no wonder we think you guys are assholes.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
A Scion?
You are no player Twist of Fate.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
I Just painted it too

+2 internets to you, good sir!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
I Just painted it too

Brilliant reference, brilliant episode.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Sinister Waffle
I Just painted it too

It needs to be camo with a nascar bumper sticker.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Twist of fate
So during my 4 weeks of winter break I'm taking a road trip from New Jersey down to Florida to play a few shows at some local venues.

NOW First off is the car. I have a 2006 Scion TC. My mom keeps telling me that it won't be able to handle the miles, but I've seen quite a few Scion TC's from across the country. I think with a good servicing and being taught how to change a tire/check oil I should be fine.

Second: People keep telling me that southerners still don't take kindly to northerners. They said I'll probably get arrested in Georgia and framed or something. Like if anyone saw that new Family Guy episode, that's probably what it'd be like I'd imagine.

Any other tips?

First: It should be able to handle the miles. If my 1991 ford mercury van handled the trip from canada from florida, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Second: Thats probably bullshit. Actually it is bullshit. I have alot of relatives who live in the northern states who visit the south all the time, and they have nothing but good things to say about it. Also, from my experiences, most people I have met in the southern states are really nice.
I remember driving from NY to Florida for the first time and stopping at this rest stop in Georgia or South Carolina or somewhere, and the counter had a big Confederate flag hanging from it which I just found shocking.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I've been down south a number of times now (I'm from Wisconsin), twice to northern Florida. Things seem to glide along a bit more slowly and/or smoothly, but it's not really too different. The people do seem to be friendlier, so long as you're respectful you should be just fine.

Be mindful of some cultural differences and don't shit in anybody's hair.

Oh, and I really wouldn't worry about your Scion. 2006 wasn't all that long ago.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I remember driving from NY to Florida for the first time and stopping at this rest stop in Georgia or South Carolina or somewhere, and the counter had a big Confederate flag hanging from it which I just found shocking.

The University of South Carolina just stopped flying the Confederate flag in their football stadium a couple of years ago, not really that shocking

I think for them it stands more for Southern pride and the fact that they tried to be independent than racism
Quote by darkcheef
The University of South Carolina just stopped flying the Confederate flag in their football stadium a couple of years ago, not really that shocking

I think for them it stands more for Southern pride and the fact that they tried to be independent than racism

Yeah, I realize that now. But at the time, I was 12 and imagined it was there because all these hicks still supported slavery.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by darkcheef

That's how I feel about it, I used to see Black people flying the rebel flag, some reason they stopped.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 2