Hi guys,

I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012. It has a standard Tremolo system and I would like to replace it for a Floyd Rose. I'm new to Floyd Rose bridges, so I would like to ask few questions.

1) Can my guitar have a Floyd Rose?
2) How do I know which Floyd Rose nut/width/radius/etc... to chose?
3) How do I distinguish a fake from a real Flyod Rose?
4) There are plenty Floyd Roses on Ebay. New. Some have some crazy pricetags (ex. 15$ plus taxes). Can I trust them?

Example:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Floyd-Rose-Special-Tremolo-System-Cosmos-Black-Fit-Charvel-Kramer-Esp-/130615613731?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e694c1923

** Restringing won't be a trouble for me if I had a Floyd Rose

Please help!
I'd suggest that you just buy a guitar with a floyd. Putting one in that guitar would be a waste of time and money.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
My friend said it's just too much of a pain to put one in.

Just buy one with one installed. Which is what I did.

If I may make a suggestion, a Jackson ;D
Quote by jeleopard
My friend said it's just too much of a pain to put one in.

Just buy one with one installed. Which is what I did.

If I may make a suggestion, a Jackson ;D

But is the Floyd Rose that I posted (the eBay one) trustful? If it's a real pain in the !@#$ to install one, I'll think of the Jackson idea

***THANKS FOR THE FAST RESPONSE TO YOU GUYS!!! REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!
Last edited by tonytober at Dec 10, 2011,
The one you posted is not an Original Floyd Rose. It's one of the lesser quality Korean Models. I'd either go with an Original Floyd or a Gotoh Floyd. I personally like the Gotoh better. They go for about $150 on Ebay.

If the body isn't router for a Floyd then yes you are looking at a lot of work. Modifying an existing route for a similar bridge isn't too bad. Having to do the entire route for it is more involved. It's doable but you better have the right tools and know how to use them.
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'd suggest that you just buy a guitar with a floyd. Putting one in that guitar would be a waste of time and money.

This. It's the cheaper and better option.

Look into LTD - they have cheap guitars that have Floyd Rose Specials, which are better than your average LFR.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Kyleisthename

+1

and yeah i wouldn't trust those $15 ones
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Flyod Rose? Never played with one of those before. I gotta locate a guitar that has one to try it out!
Yea, like that. I personally wouldn't get that, cause I don't like the body, and I'm not a huge fan of EMG, but to each his own!
Well, for the price of that guitar new, you might be able to score a used Ibanez Prestige. I mentioned LTD because I just assumed your budget was relatively small. If you have $600 to play with, there are possibly better options.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This. It's the cheaper and better option.

Look into LTD - they have cheap guitars that have Floyd Rose Specials, which are better than your average LFR.

So what?

Translation: This brands crap isn't as crappy as that brands Crap.

ITS STILL F**KING CRAP.

Save your money. Buy either a guitar that comes WITH an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose or a Schaller. Period.

If you can't afford a guitar with a OFR/Schaller or the $200+ to buy one, don't even bother wasting your money. They're expensive for a reason, if you see a 'crazy price' chances are its crap!
Last edited by ORCRiST at Dec 12, 2011,
^ the gotohs (and the ibanez ones made by gotoh) are very nice too.

but aside from that, i agree. the only real advantage of the cheaper floyd rose-branded trems is that, as far as i'm aware, they're a direct swap for the real thing. And also teh frt-x000 is probably a bit better than what used to be fitted to guitars at that price bracket.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ORCRiST
So what?

ITS STILL F**KING CRAP.

Save your money. Buy either a guitar that comes WITH an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose or a Schaller. Period.

If you can't afford a guitar with a OFR/Schaller or the $200+ to buy one, don't even bother wasting your money. They're expensive for a reason, if you see a 'crazy price' chances are its crap!

What about the Jackson Floyd Rose? I think it works fine :x
any i've tried haven't been as good as a gotoh or schaller. some of the older ones might have been made by schaller, though (not sure). there's an info page about jackson trems somewhere on teh net, if you do a google search you might find it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To my knowledge Schaller still produces the OFR for Floyd Rose. It's the one that comes in the bubble pack unless they've changed packaging. I think the difference between the OFR and Schaller Floyd is the base plate. I think the Schaller has a cheaper metal in the base plate but it's made thicker.

Regardless, many of the boutique lines that used the OFR started switching to Gotohs due to quality issues with the OFR. Suhr was one of them I believe. Gotoh also made some of the best Ibanez models out there like the original Edge.
yeah

from what i hear, the new schaller lockmeister is just an OFR with their name on it. So that might be worth considering, too (here in europe it's a little cheaper).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
or if u dont wanna shell out for a new axe and you dont wanna mod the yamaha..... locking tuners and raise the bridge. bada boom
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Quote by ORCRiST
So what?

ITS STILL F**KING CRAP.

Um... although some DO suck, far from ALL LFRs do. Kramer, Jackson, and Agile all use ones that stay in tune. Some people prefer certain Ibanez ones even over the originals. FRU ones are pretty good. I know there are a few more I'm forgetting.
Quote by supersize
or if u dont wanna shell out for a new axe and you dont wanna mod the yamaha..... locking tuners and raise the bridge. bada boom

I think that's a good idea! But... what are locking tuners? Do you think locking nuts is a good/better/not worth idea? (Also, is it easy to be installed? Locking tuners and lock nuts)
Locking tuners are very easy to install. A locking nut you'd be best off letting a luthier handle.
I'd go with the tuners, BUT raising the bridge to a floating stance will raise your action a fair bit.
Really the best thing to do would be save for a new guitar.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Locking tuners are very easy to install. A locking nut you'd be best off letting a luthier handle.
I'd go with the tuners, BUT raising the bridge to a floating stance will raise your action a fair bit.
Really the best thing to do would be save for a new guitar.

The problem is that it seems like my guitar gets untuned at the nut part, so do you think locking nut is good?
yea, get a guitar with one. also if you think that's expensive check out the neck plate/pickguard/neck on tom delonge's signature guitar. but yea get a guitar with one, jackson would be your best bet.
if youve got money, do the whole FR thing, but in my band, a guy didnt wanna mod his guitar neck/body. and locking tuners really kicked ass! dive bombs like crazy
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus